Player
    Character
    Chie Kaisuri
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60

A Man and his Crab: Why the Smallshell Minion has brought me great joy

Once upon a time in Final Fantasy XI, I was a Dark Knight. I loved the job more than anything else in the game (and crossing my fingers for a Final Fantasy XIV version). However, because of my choice of being a career Dark Knight, I wasn't really able to help people outside of just killing things. Most of my abilities were made to help myself.

One day in Valkurm Dunes, I was asked to powerlevel a party who's healer had ditched the group. Seeing as it was a friend of mine who asked, I couldn't say no. Problem is... I was a Dark Knight. The highest level of my Paladin or White mage was too low. So I did the only thing I could do...

DRK/WHM - *The crowd lets out a horrified gasp*

It was the best I could do. I get the heals of a WHM but retain the power of my Dark Knight so if I pulled aggro, I wouldn't get killed. But a new obstacle stood in my way: Refresh. I had none. My MP pool wasn't huge, so how was I going to aid these players for the long term?

"Wait a second... I have Aspir. Crabs have MP! I'll grab myself a Crab Buddy!"

So on my way to the camp, I stop by the beach and smack a crab with a weak attack, like Poison. Because of FFXI aggro physics, the Crab would follow me until I zoned, so I made it to the camp with the crab not far behind.

Party Member 1: "You realize you have a Crab following you, right?"
    Kagato Jurai: "Oh, this is my Crab Buddy. Say hello, Crab Buddy!"
    *The Crab lands a Critical Hit on Kagato Jurai somehow... and deals 2 HP of damage.*
    Kagato Jurai: "...he's just shy."

The party proceeded to laugh and we got things started. As I lost MP, I'd target the crab and use my Aspir spells on him until his MP pool ran out. At such a point I simply ran and got a new one, becoming a successful, if not unorthodox power leveler in Valkurm Dunes.

CUE FINAL FANTASY XIV: A REALM REBORN

Here I am, enjoying FFXIV:ARR, running my Free Company... when all of a sudden, someone makes a post on The Abyssal Pirates forums. It listed all the known minions in the game and how to obtain them. As I was looking through, that is when I saw this:

- Smallshell
    Rewarded for completing the FATE "It's not Lupus" with a Gold Medal rating in Eastern La Noscea, south of Costa del Sol (X30,Y34)
    CRAB BUDDY!!!

As you can probably tell, I went long out of my way to get him. This included participating in that FATE several levels lower than I should be, still hoping in vain to get a Gold Medal victory and get the Smallshell minion. Try as I might, I was just too weak.

I eventually had to face facts and admit that I wasn't ready, but after a few more levels, I gathered up members of my Free Company and we marched our butts over to Costa Del Sol and we camped that FATE. After a good 45 minute wait, there it was. Cancer the Crab, right in front of us. We all jumped on it and started pummeling it as best as we could right from the start with others jumping in quickly as well.

The HP hit 0. The results were in. Was it enough? Did I finally succeed? Will I relive one of the silliest, and yet one of the most fond memories I had of my FFXI career? Well... I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves...

(129)
    Last edited by Kagato; 09-04-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Player
    Character
    Holy Emmerololth
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Oh man, Dark Knight PLing. I had a few of those. I think I even had a MNK/WHM once. I have to wonder how desperate some people can be.

I find the crab's description to be incredibly amusing, being that it is supposed to bring us trauma. And yes, I did spend years of my life killing them, but at least with him following around me around I can feel warm nostalgia whenever I wish, as well.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Temujin Borjigin
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 80
    good read, thanks!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Malvina Majere
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    This might be my favorite post on these forums. Thanks for the great story
    (11)

Player

I'm so happy you found your long lost friend!!!
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Tenchi Masaki
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Kagato where have you been?!?! Tenchi Masaki here. When are we getting another anime??
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Virgil Waurd
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    lol Favorite post on this forum so far :P
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kekepero Momopero
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    I, too, have had many crab MP batteries in FFXI. And I've also PLed as DRK/WHM in the Dunes, oddly enough. >_> Though, as a Tarutaru, MP wasn't too bad.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    C'mell Cordwainer
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    You, sir, are now my hero!
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Fantastic Damage
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    I miss FFXI. I'm glad you have fond memories like this I have many myself, hopefully we can gains few from ARR. Thank you for sharing.
    (1)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast