Player
    Character
    Astral Jones
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by klops View Post
    It's always the people not doing end game that start these threads.
    Way to be a constructive jerk! Not sure if you noticed but some people have jobs hence not being level 50. Provide some advice instead of being so condescending.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Kiln Darkwind
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 40
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkdx View Post
    Flash is you best friend with multiple enemies, Pld is no longer a single enemy tank like in 1.0 so I'm not sure what people are talking about. I use flash twice at beginning and enemies are mine.
    Best advice on this thread so far. I have completed all the dungeons available through my story-line thus far. Not once I have I had any real on-going issue with threat management as a Paladin. Granted, you are going to get your idiot party members from time to time that engage before the tank does or don't follow target markings, but that's on them not the tank. If I'm able to get off 2 flash on the group, I haven't seen any regular threat issues. I just got shield oath last evening, so I'm anxious to see how much of a difference that makes.

So, for all those looking to play Paladin, don't let the 1-39 nay-says turn you off. The class has some mechanics built to handle group if you manage them effectively.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Rendaelyne Zarovich
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Not sure what I am doing that is different than other glad out there at my level. But I don't seem to have any issues holding threat from the healer or DPS as long as they don't go after the target marked 3 when we still have target 1 up. And if that happens I just let them die.

As my glad, in the dungeons I've done so far. I have 2 different strats depending on if there's a pack or a single mob pull (also forgive me for not knowing the skills yet)

Multiple pack:

1. Mark target 1
    2. Run in and flash until I have 20% mana
    3. Mark other targets as I Shield Lob each one and continue to do so until I have 500 TP combo
    4. Pop my Damage booster and then combo to get my mana back up to 50%
    5. Flash until back down to 20% mana
    6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 untill all mobs dead

Single mob
    1. Shield lob on the run in
    2. combo (non mana regen one) and after 1st combo routine I restart the SL / Combo process.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rendaelyne Zarovich
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    darn 1000 word limit...

Of course I throw in my damage mit abilities in there liberally especially at the start of a pack pull and I am sure this will change as we gain more skills from paladin but it can't be that bad.

Only thing that pulls from me is that topaz carbunckle pet or a DPS who goes after the wrong target, and when that happens I just let it go. Not my problem if people can't follow simple 1, 2, 3 marks. If I try to be the hero and go after that mob that is pulled by stupid, then they all will be loose.

But even at that, even with DPS not following marks, then only thing that really is bad are the darn pets, I can hold most other stuff no matter what.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Soul Burn
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    lvl 26 here:

If people follow my markings and don't spam aoe's I do fine. If people decide to attack out of order it is hard to get hate back without using provoke.

I hadn't thought about using flash more than once at the start, didn't know if did anything if used back to back.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Soul Burn
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    The carby that does taunt moves is annoying to tank with, i'm hoping as I level people stop using that.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Manilas Stwolf
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 87
    I really don't know why people say they are having a hard time holding aggro. Only on the occasional fights where I get surprised that I don't have (an keep) the initial aggro but it is fixed quickly. Even on fights with more than 3 mobs, never had a problem. And I don't even use Fight or Flight. Only thing really helping me is I have tanking experience.

1 - Shield lob monster marked as 1

2 - If I have time to use Fast blade before all monsters run to me, I use it (after that, I flash). Otherwise, I use flash.

3 - Back to monster 1, use fast blade (or savage blade if I had time in step 2 to use fast blade). Follow by savage and halone.

4 - Switch to target 2 (or 3 or 4), use fast blade and savage.

5 - Switch to target x (other than Target 1 and previous target from step 4) and use halone on it. You should have enough time doing step 4 and 5 without losing aggro of target 1.

6 - Back to target 1 and repeat and rinse step 4 and 5 always switching target for halone.
    (0)

Manilas StWolf - Level 82 Paladin - Diabolos - Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn
    Manilas - Level 80 Human Berserker - Anvil Rock - Guild Wars 2
    Manilas - Level 76 Human Warrior - Ares - Knight Online World
    Manilas - Level 50 Human Warrior - Turalyon - World of Warcraft
    Manilas - Level 150 Human Warrior - Adventure Quest

Player
    Character
    Roy Hildenbrand
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    That's usually the steps that I do, but then again I'm not at the 30+ dungeons. I also make sure to sprinkle in some ramparts and a voke on the mob that I feel that I haven't created enough hate one.

I know that the game becomes harder at the 30+ dungeons, so I guess I'll check it once I start running those.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Layla Bell
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Binauralman View Post
    Way to be a constructive jerk! Not sure if you noticed but some people have jobs hence not being level 50. Provide some advice instead of being so condescending.
    Actually, I gave advice on the previous page if you read farther down. I just don't like people who start these threads stating their opinions as facts.

If you want to have an easier time tanking 1-40, put your bonus points into STR. Many PLDs who complain about threat are full VIT when it is completely unnecessary in the game's current content (be it leveling or endgame).

Plus you have the added bonus of being full STR for whatever the next Gladiator based job will be.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Kiln Darkwind
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 40
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendaelyne View Post
    Multiple pack:
    1. Mark target 1
    2. Run in and flash until I have 20% mana
    3. Mark other targets as I Shield Lob each one and continue to do so until I have 500 TP combo
    4. Pop my Damage booster and then combo to get my mana back up to 50%
    5. Flash until back down to 20% mana
    6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 untill all mobs dead
    That might be a touch overkill. From what I've seen (all pre-40 dungeons) the following works wonders for multi mob encounter:

1) Mark targets pre-battle
    2) Shield Lob target #1
    3) Flash 1-3x (depending on # of mobs -- 2 mobs = 1 Flash | 3 mobs = 2 Flash | 4 mobs = 3 Flash)
    4) Follow target numbers using Fast Blade -> Savage Blade -> Rage of Halone combo (swap to next target on the list at 20-25% life left)

Single mob pulls are a no-brainer.

Has anyone else using my technique had any problems with it, or any suggestions? I've found it holds threat very well while maximizing (what little we have) DPS.
    (0)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast