Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Player
    Character
    Trill Ironstone
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 42
    TBH it has less to do with the system and more to do with the modern player and how quickly people can level today. We've all played MMO's long enough now to know to just save all you can til max level and then start worrying about gear. Short of them just making the leveling experiences super slow where individual gear pieces last forever it probably wouldn't matter. Now I'm not a huge fan of the fact that they put gear vendors up that offer the same things, however I can save gil by farming the mats and filling in holes rather than buying them from a vendor.

Sadly I think gamers have out smarted themselves out of some fun in some ways. Games are all about the mash rush to max level and less about the journey these days, and thus the journey gear suffers from it.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Emelyne Octavian
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    TBH it has less to do with the system and more to do with the modern player and how quickly people can level today. We've all played MMO's long enough now to know to just save all you can til max level and then start worrying about gear. Short of them just making the leveling experiences super slow where individual gear pieces last forever it probably wouldn't matter. Now I'm not a huge fan of the fact that they put gear vendors up that offer the same things, however I can save gil by farming the mats and filling in holes rather than buying them from a vendor.

Sadly I think gamers have out smarted themselves out of some fun in some ways. Games are all about the mash rush to max level and less about the journey these days, and thus the journey gear suffers from it.
    Exactly. Craft no longer has it's uses anymore other than some end game relic or item.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Emelyne Octavian
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by hola View Post
    even if there was no fate system, almost no one will waste money on buying gear for leveling. you wont be needing the gear in one or two days, why bother buying it?

in every single MMO rpg game, no one sells lv20 gear and no one buys it. it exists only serve the purpose of leveling your profession.
    Except it wasn't like that in FFXI. But that was due to the fact that there wasn't any quests in FFXI not did mobs or dungoens drop items (other than NMs). So the bulk of the gear was sold by crafters. Plus it took quite some time to level.

However in this game you level fast, you can get gear from npc's, quests, mobs, and seals. It really makes crafters useless throughout 95% of the game. Might as well just remove it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Liliha Liha
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    I sort of agree. At least crafting has its uses for providing a mild edge over no crafting at all via materia, repairs and suvh on XIV though. On many other MMOs you don't even have that. People wanting everything right away has lead to those MMOs not needing anything at all (be that gear, planning or skill) to reach endgame.

In the crafting sense there is too little demand now anyway. There'd need to be something that provides a noticeable edge for the people leveling up to get that. Perhaps making vendor gear prices higher (especially after some inflation) would make crafting a bit more viable? Slightly reducing the availability of the vendor / quest gear is also an option.
    (0)
    Last edited by Moontide; 09-05-2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Coherence

Player
    Character
    Sakasa Kuro
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 58
    Ok here the skinny yes you are all right. DOW/M have a "free ride" as there exp only hinges on the ability to heal and deal damage of a period of time. Yes crafts are very useful and the easiest way to generate gear specific for materia needs. Yes DOH needs DOL but here is the thing that DOH has. DOH can outscale drop gear. At the same time that has to be eventually outdone by drop gear to give people incentive to complete something because the main focus of this game is battle.

Alchemy makes things easier x-potions, hi-elixir, elemental resist potions all these things while are not needed to play can save the day. 1.0 an item was literally needed to beat Nael. Weapons and armor are a many but they do not come easily to all crafting fills the gap and allow the artifical rarity people have with their gear like the Battlemage set or the Foestriker's.But to be honest I like crafting, if you don't and you are looking for an advantage you might want to just move on.
    (0)
    Mitsuda Yasunori + Soken Masayoshi Track Collaboration 2015! <The Dream>

Player
    Character
    Pande Monium
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 50
    OP has a point.

There is absolutely zero point in churning out any weapons from 1-30 as you can get a free upgrade for each job just by doing your guild quest, and that weapon will easily see you through the next five levels.

e.g.

1. Pugilist lvl 1 - Join guild, free weathered Hora.
    2. Level to 5 - guild quest, free bone horas.
    3. level to 10 - guild quest, next free weapon...
    4. repeat up to 30+

So that's middle crafting weapons out - it applies to all DoW/DoM/DoL/DoH too. So a BSM's only choice is to exp on materials, as there is no point in their end products for the first 30 levels.

WVR and ARM is in a very slightly better position, as there is more gear, and you only pick one piece by doing guild quests. However, if you level all DoM or DoW at the same time, you can kit out everything for free for the first 30 levels, possibly more...

The only thing i can see making any kind of money is GSM, and this is reflected in the Marketboards. Go and check out the prices, as most weapons are sitting at less than 50gil each, and armour at 1-200 gil each; while GSM jewellery is 1k+ for things starting at level 5.

My BSM / ARM / ALC / GSM are all mid 40's - with the possible exception of GSM, i'm not sure if there is even any point in finishing the grind to 50!
    (0)
    Common Sense is a language most misunderstood on the continent of the MMOForum

Character
    Cavatina Mi'zhen
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Savish View Post
    You have a system where DoH rely heavily on other DoH/DoL for mats to craft gear but DoW/DoM have 0 reliance on DoH/DoL classes in fact the game wouldn't change at all really if the entire crafting system didn't even exist, which is basically what every single MMO seems to miss, if DoW/DoM classes don't need crafters for gear then wtf is the point of crafting to begin with?
    Its a timesink for obsessives like us, obviously.
    (0)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5