Player
    Character
    Daemon Golgoth
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50

Incorrect Naming of the Monster Known as "Stroper"

The monster above, as you know, has appeared in just about every Final Fantasy game that exists. They are commonly known as the Malboro (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Malboro)

The Stroper appeared in Final Fantasy IX as this (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/S...al_Fantasy_IX)):

I understand the Stroper also appeared in FFIII and FFV as a plant-like creature, but the Malboro made more appearances throughout the Final Fantasy games, I'm not sure how they managed to NOT keep the name exclusive to this monster. I was really hoping to see the actual Stroper from FFIX in ARR
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Y'ahte Tia
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Actualy that's because each subspecies of a particular type of monster, in the case there are more than one such as the dodos, recieves different names.
    The Stroper is likely a subspecies of marlboro because just tossing adjectives on a monster's name is not enough.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jahaudant Rivea
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    We did also have this guy...

Stroper - FFXI

And his vomit...

Stroper Chyme - FFXI

"Chyme (kīm), or "chymus", is the name for the mixture of food, water, hydrochloric acid, and other digestive enzymes in the stomach. So in essence, a Stroper's stomach is so volatile that their vomit can come to life and attack you."
    (6)
    Last edited by Jahaudant; 08-30-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Player
    Character
    Quintalian Palidor
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 90
    FFXI also had malboros named Ochu, so that when proper ochus appeared in an expansion, they had to be renamed Raffelsia. Similar situation with plain skeletons being named Lich, and the more familiar lich renamed Corse. Now, out of the FFIX enemies they could reuse, perhaps the Gnolls could be made into a beastmen tribe with Fenrir as their Primal!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Meliae Rivanhart
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    wouldn't Gnolls be offshoot of kobalds since both of them suppose to be dog-like? but of-course there have been similar models used for many different, as for Marlboro they are in the game with Marlboro name, I believe the ones around fairy/sprite lands are called Marlboro.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Corven Steele
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Actually, much like many other monsters in the Final Fantasy mythos, both the Ochu and the Stroper were adapated from Dungeons & Dragons, dating way back to the very first edition Monster Manual. (The listing for "Ochu" was actually spelled "Otyugh" however, the pronunciation of which are exactly same and it described in a later edition of the Monster Manual for D&D.)

The second pic posted by the OP resembles most what the illustration and monster description of the Stroper looks like, which was used for FFIX. The Ochu (and it's more powerful counterpart, the Neochu/Naochu, depending on localization) were seen as early as the original Final Fantasy game, found mostly in rivers when riding the canoe. It's difficult to discern the likenesses' accuracy from 8-bit graphics, but the the Ochu looked fairly similar to the D&D version of an "Otyugh", though clearly the FF series has taken the creature and really made it into it's own somewhat different interpretation.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Corven Steele
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Meliae View Post
    wouldn't Gnolls be offshoot of kobalds since both of them suppose to be dog-like? but of-course there have been similar models used for many different, as for Marlboro they are in the game with Marlboro name, I believe the ones around fairy/sprite lands are called Marlboro.
    Whether this is based in truth or not, I have to admit I'd always thought that when the Marlboro creature was introduced to the FF games, it was named to reflect a slight nod (or knock, maybe?) to the cigarette brand Marlboro. {Bad Breath}, anyone? LOL :P

If I recall right, Gnolls were/are jackal-like in appearance. Very similar to dog-like Kobolds though, so you may have a point there...
    (0)

Player

I, for one, would love to see a member of the species named as Mad/Evil Oscar.
    (0)
    "Absurdity is the only reality."
    ~Frank Zappa

Player
    Character
    Portus Cale
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    So, did SE get some heat from Marlboro or something?
    (0)
    He doesn't mind us conducting trials so close to his bazaar, so long as he's properly compensated... Yes, Portus, we pay him in sorcery-blasted bird flesh. - Cocobygo

Player
    Character
    Kletian Drowa
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Pretty sure Stroper was a name of a Marlboro recolor in FF6 too, if not earlier games.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast