Player
    Character
    Vali Bergthora
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50

HM Titan: Duty Finder Discussion

Let's get something straight first. I don't think Titan is too hard, in itself. Many, many, many players have already succeeded in besting the earth Primal. However, here is what I wish to discuss, as well as see if possible solutions can be offered, heard, and replied to, by SE's officials, even with a vague "we are looking into it" answer.

Through the Duty Finder, Titan gives you two tanks.

Most groups I have seen require three healers, one tank, and four damage dealers to down Titan. More geared groups, i.e. people who already have their Relics, choose to do it with one tank, two healers and five damage dealers, and this is fine too. Thing is, the groups are usually very SPECIFIC in build, and the Duty Finder can't handle this. For example: you NEED, ideally, a White Mage AND a Scholar, or two White Mages, but you can't do it with two Scholars. Similarily you need a Monk or Dragoon for their Limit Break, although that's more likely to be respected by the Duty Finder than anything else.

But an appropriatedly geared group, without anyone being overgeared (or undergeared), simply can't do it with a surplus tank, especially if all other conditions (WHM healer + at least one melee DPS + not more than two melee DPS). Either the damage will be too low, the healing will be too low, or it'll be a combination of both.

What I'd like to know is why a fight that was evidently not tuned to have two tanks in the group, makes you have to have two tanks through the Duty Finder.

I'd also like to know why the fight can't be retuned to require two tanks, that way tanks don't have such a hard time finding a group to get their Relic.

I'm not saying that Titan should be defeated through a group of complete strangers without much organization or knowledge, such as the Duty Finder usually gets you stuck with, but I AM saying it would be nice, at least, if the Duty Finder gave you a CHANCE to down him if your group is decent and willing to learn the fight. This could be done either through making the fight easier to account for a second tank, or through making it much easier, but adding a whole new mechanic that requires a second tank. Maybe tank-swapping? I don't know. But anything at this point would be better than leaving it as-is.

But overall? I'm fine with the overall difficulty the fight presents right now, but I think that difficulty should INCLUDE having two tanks, as opposed to being difficult ON TOP of being stuck with a second tank who won't be able to do anything but sub-par damage the whole fight. And to me the best way to do this would, IMO, be to:

Make Titan's abilities overall hit for less damage, notably Bombs and Weight of the Land.

In rebound, make Mountain Buster apply a stacking defense debuff that expires in 45 seconds. At two stacks it would be lethal to keep trying to tank Titan, and so the second tank has to pick him up until the debuff clears on the first, and it rotates like this for the rest of the fight.
    (7)
    Last edited by BlossomRose; 09-20-2013 at 01:41 AM.

Player
    Character
    Pied Piper
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    Wouldn't it be easier to just have them change the duty finder set up for the fight to only one tank spot? Rather than rebalancing what is currently a very well balanced fight that is challenging and fun. (Ps: you'll find the fight becomes almost trivial if the entire group has full left side darklight, once everyone's health is over 3.5k its much easier).

Of course, many warriors will be quick to point out that they would virtually never pug the fight at that point. As it is, if you get a real tank and a warrior in the group, the war can at least dps. But if there is only one tanking spot and a warrior loads in, many will just exit.

I admit I have bias, being a real tank, but I know that the fight is possible with a warrior tank--one who is very well geared and extremely knowledgable about teh class. Even personally knowing the fight is mroe than doable with a warrior, I would be inclined to leave a group with a war tank rather than bet on a random being exceptional. And, should you find the amazing warrior needed, its still harder just because it requires more time to heal the warrior than a paladin--time which could be spent patching up the group or being more cautious regarding dodging.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Vali Bergthora
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    And that's just another issue that needs addressed, IMO. It is NOT a well balanced fight, if it requires breaking the standard 2 tanks 2 healers 4 dps make-up. In fact, that is the opposite of balanced. That's "the fight is overtuned and requires sacrificing a tank for extra healing or damage".

Also I'm actually a Paladin tank, I just forgot to update my character class choices. I love Warrior tanking but healers keep telling me they suck to heal so I switched.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Pwna Graphic
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 60
    It can be done easily enough with two tanks, it's just what players prefer.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Pied Piper
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwnagraphic View Post
    It can be done easily enough with two tanks, it's just what players prefer.
    I failed to make this clear, but I entirely agree. My fc's progression win came with a pld and warrior in group. There is a use for a secondary tank in this fight (Hate bounce to seperate mountain buster damage and preceeding auto attack damage, fall back in case of accident, or simply the fact that warrior is decent dps with so much health they'll be the last one up).

I was merely pointing out that your suggestion is rather complex and requires an entire re-working of content. Changing the duty finder party list would be much simpler.

Realistically though, I think the reason so many people are struggling with this fight is purely gear related. The fight is fairly obviously balanced for a party in full ilvl60-70, mostly 70. Most people who need to pug this fight (ie: not in an FC able to get teh win internally), however, will not be full DL, meaning the odds of a full DL pug group are fairly low.

Edit:

Titan is a huge step up from Garuda. Prior to titan, there is virtually no gear requirement for any of the content. So many players (particularly those fresh to endgame) have an underdeveloped sense of the importance of gear. Hence the endless "lololol skill > gear i can solo anything forever cus I push the same few buttons better than you do." Fights like Titan, however, are very obvious number games. He requires x total dps or you time out on heart / to final stomp build up. He requires x health (i think its about 3.4k-3.5k) to safely survive last phase stomps without much stress. He requires x health for the tank to be useful (for pld, its somewehre around 5.2k, once you are up to 5.8k its nearly trivial to take mountain buster even without cool downs).
    (0)
    Last edited by PiedPiper; 09-20-2013 at 01:56 AM.

Player
    Character
    Vali Bergthora
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    You might be right and the gear requirements on the Duty Finder will fix the problem.

But it's kind of frustrating when you're a tank and can't find a group because groups only take one tank, usually already have a geared tank (who might already have his relic and thus doesn't NEED Titan), and so on.

Considering ALL OTHER CONTENT requires one tank per 4 people, why make Titan different? Why hamstring tanks on the last step of the Relic quest?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Pied Piper
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    Again, there is a value in the second tank. It is just less pronounced than usual. After all, other dungeons are faster with just one tank for 8 people. For CM farm premade I usually solo tank the instance so we can take an extra dps to shave minutes. Also, some of his attacks seem to favor second place in hate list (not 100% of the time, but in general), perhaps you cold manipulate this to give better chacnes.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Vali Bergthora
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by PiedPiper View Post
    Again, there is a value in the second tank. It is just less pronounced than usual. After all, other dungeons are faster with just one tank for 8 people. For CM farm premade I usually solo tank the instance so we can take an extra dps to shave minutes. Also, some of his attacks seem to favor second place in hate list (not 100% of the time, but in general), perhaps you cold manipulate this to give better chacnes.
    Actually that's probably worth researching if it's true. But I doubt Landslide is as simple as 'aims at second place'.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Fuz Rush
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by BlossomRose View Post
    You might be right and the gear requirements on the Duty Finder will fix the problem.
    To be honest, I'm pretty confident that the gear requirements of the duty finder will be way, WAY lower than what people are asking now.
    Will be fun seeing it in use, either way.

But it's kind of frustrating when you're a tank and can't find a group because groups only take one tank, usually already have a geared tank (who might already have his relic and thus doesn't NEED Titan), and so on.
    I doubt it... the numbers of DPS and healers in this game far exceed the tanks numbers.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Vali Bergthora
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuz View Post
    To be honest, I'm pretty confident that the gear requirements of the duty finder will be way, WAY lower than what people are asking now.
    Will be fun seeing it in use, either way.

I doubt it... the numbers of DPS and healers in this game far exceed the tanks numbers.
    I'm talking from experience. People who want into Titan groups either: 1) already have a tank, 2) aren't geared enough. Good, geared players always seem to already have a tank, and I just sit in Mor all day hoping to see a group that isn't going to be led by someone in artifact armor trying to get carried.

Tried leading a few groups myself, but always landed on people who claimed to know the fight and to be geared, and they are usually geared as claimed, but who die to bombs and pools and ten wipes in still aren't better.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast