Player
    Character
    Mikh'to Tayuun
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 28

Where do Australians go?

What servers are the majority of players from Australia and other English speaking countries in the Pacific/Asia region going to?

Are people going into the Japanese servers for lower latency? Because AFAIK the three listed regions (US, EU & JPN) have their own servers.

The problem there is obviously everyone speaking Japanese which is less preferable than a decent ping in an MMO.

I would ask if there are any plans for an Australasian server running out of Japan but I cant imagine there being enough players to justify it.

So anyway what seems to be the most popular server for people floating around the Pacific?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Starkhorn O'linhir
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 20
    JP Legacy - Masamune
    JP New - Tonberry
    NA Legacy - Sargatanas
    NA New - Behemoth

Source: http://oceania.guildwork.com/
    (2)

Player

In some games AUS have their own regional servers, but in FFXIVs case your only choice would be the JP servers.

This has been a problem that has long plagued players from the AUS. I've also heard horror stories of AUS players getting 500-1k ping.
    Have you pinged the JP data centre to see your latency?
    (0)
    "Even after the darkest of nights, morning always comes."

Player
    Character
    Nova Eclipse
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 33
    If you do choose to roll on Tonberry. I can confirm that the ratio between English and Japanese players is about 40:60. That's plenty enough English speaking players I've found to form tons of English guilds and have English conversations in general chat channels.

I too was initially worried about rolling on a Japanese server, but after playing for awhile I've had no problems.

I'm also pretty sure Tonberry has the biggest Oceanic community of all the servers listed in starkhorns post. Polls showed it several times higher than any of the other choices, Especially compared to the NA choices.

Edit: Masamune is actually pretty popular too I just discovered, if a legacy server is what you need.
    (1)
    Last edited by Woofles; 08-23-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Player
    Character
    Mikh'to Tayuun
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 28
    Quote Originally Posted by starkhorn View Post
    sic
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofles View Post
    sic
    Thanks for the info you two. Sounds like I'll roll on Tonberry.
    That website looks interesting... definitely going to need to check that out tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Whizawk View Post
    In some games AUS have their own regional servers, but in FFXIVs case your only choice would be the JP servers.

This has been a problem that has long plagued players from the AUS. I've also heard horror stories of AUS players getting 500-1k ping.
    Have you pinged the JP data centre to see your latency?
    Have not, but I've long learned that Australians only have the choice of minimizing their latency issues rather than expecting a local server (unless youre playing PS2).

So yeah, even though I know MMO's are designed to mitigate the effects of a poor network connection I would still rather connect to Japan than the EU or US, and I'm sure if any shenanigans happen they will likely fix the Japanese servers first.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Korra Kurohime
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    There are only 2 datacenters servicing all regions: 1 in Japan for JP players and 1 in Canada for NA and EU players. So everyone in Europe is stuck connecting to Canada and I haven't heard anyone complaining about unplayable or even BAD pings. My advice would be to try an NA/EU server and see how the lag is. If it's okay, roll on any of the big NA/EU servers. If it's bad, roll on a JP server. It's not like you're stuck with whatever server you initially try out. The worst that'll happen is you waste an hour and have to reroll on a different server.
    (0)

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Keiichi81 View Post
    There are only 2 datacenters servicing all regions: 1 in Japan for JP players and 1 in Canada for NA and EU players.
    I find it extremely hard to believe that I get 70ms ping connecting to Ragnarok (EU Legacy) from the UK, if it's in Canada.
    My ping to US servers usually is over 120ms.
    (0)
    "Even after the darkest of nights, morning always comes."

Player
    Character
    Korra Kurohime
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Whizawk View Post
    I find it extremely hard to believe that I get 70ms ping connecting to Ragnarok (EU Legacy) from the UK, if it's in Canada.
    My ping to US servers usually is over 120ms.
    http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/...railer-teased/

The data center for JP servers is in Tokyo, Japan. The data center for NA/EU servers is in Montreal, Canada.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Owatatsumi Kami
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Come to Tonberry! There is a great community starting to form and it would be great to have another member.

The website that starkhorn posted has some listings for a few of the Free Companies and Linkshells on that server and the others if your looking for one.
    (0)
    Last edited by Owatatsumi; 08-23-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Player
    Character
    Emil Lacroix
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 60
    I played on Excalibur (NA) during P4 and did not experience latency issues.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast