Player
    Character
    Emil Lacroix
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Canniballistic View Post
    Its the way they code the game. Things like queuing up spells and estimating movement help hide the delay but it makes moving out of AOE attacks very hard when you have a terrible connection to the server. You will usually see the delay most when interacting with MOB's because they are server side.
    I'm aware, my point is that it's not terrible given our choices so I chose to play with my friends. People make it seem like the difference between JP and Montreal is like 300ms+ or something, but from what I've seen it's not nearly that significant. Everyone will experience bad latency to some extent unless SE miraculously decides to open a data-centre near home.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Owatatsumi Kami
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by FaizeD View Post
    I'm aware, my point is that it's not terrible given our choices so I chose to play with my friends. People make it seem like the difference between JP and Montreal is like 300ms+ or something, but from what I've seen it's not nearly that significant. Everyone will experience bad latency to some extent unless SE miraculously decides to open a data-centre near home.

How much latency you have on playing on an NA server compared to JP, and vice versa, is different for each person. What service you use makes quite difference on if there is a big fluctuation in ping when playing on NA server as apposed to a JP one or not much at all. A few people actually have better ping when playing on NA and for others their comparable. Most players from what I've heard though see sizable increase in ping when playing on an NA server. It's enough of a difference for a noticeable affect to gameplay.

In the end it's really up to every player what region is right for them. You can test your ping for both or try playing on them to help make up your mind. If you want to play with friends who are on an NA that is an important factor and understandable, but if your just worried about playing on a Japanese server because your afraid there won't be any English speaking players there is no need to be concerned. There is already a sizable English speaking community on the unofficial Oceanic servers listed, so you won't be alone by any means! :3

I'm not just speaking to OP but anyone who might be concerned or trying to decide, since OP has already chosen.
    (0)
    Last edited by Owatatsumi; 08-24-2013 at 01:31 AM.

Player
    Character
    Lei Lani
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 60
    I am NA player on Masamune with no latency issues. I have heard that Masamune is an unofficial international server. Lots of players from all different places.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Korra Kurohime
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Whizawk View Post
    I find it extremely hard to believe that I get 70ms ping connecting to Ragnarok (EU Legacy) from the UK, if it's in Canada.
    My ping to US servers usually is over 120ms.
    http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/...railer-teased/

The data center for JP servers is in Tokyo, Japan. The data center for NA/EU servers is in Montreal, Canada.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2