Player
    Character
    Roripu Totapu
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 55

Conjurer & White Mage Abilities and Spells Feedback

This thread is made in continuation of my previous two threads during phase 3 and phase 4 which are no longer available.

In it, a large amount of detail and feedback went into the various problems CNJ and WHM face in this game that make their gameplay lackluster. Now in comparison to SCH's potential this becomes very problematic as Conjurer's mechanics and power are threatened to become 2nd rate.

SERIOUS ISSUES WITH CONJURER
    Read further for more information on these topics.
    • Too many spells whose powers are rendered useless due to cost or more powerful alternatives.
    • A serious lack of spell synergy and no encouragement in spell rotations create a huge loss of interest.
    • Many questionable traits due to bugs, mistranslation, or simply being too weak to justify their existence.
    • An inability to retain MP or recover lost MP actively instead of passively creates a boring experience.
    • An inability to cast some enhancing spells outside of the party discourages outward assistance to strangers.

MP CONCERNS AND LACK OF CONTROL
    This subject was brought up in the past during phase 3 as a potential issue, but was later removed with the introduction of increased potency across multiple spells. The idea was that with increased potency, WHM would no longer struggle to maintain their MP over extended fights since the MP cost to Cure Potency was now more efficient.

It is now known that WHM does indeed still suffer from a lack of MP management during extended fights that demand their constant attention. With only one ability, and a trait which powers this ability granting a 20 second buff that can refresh a small portion of the WHM's MP pool, WHM still lack the control other classes maintain. THM's ability to regenerate their entire pool is obviously effective for them, as it would be for anyone, but granting a similar effect to a WHM would be far too effective. It is obvious that WHM is intended to be mindful of their MP and how they spend it. In 8 man raids, this is not so much a concern, as a supporting SCH with Aetherflow can handle the majority of the healing with minor cures and shields while the WHM is there to help recover from bigger losses. This synergy between the two jobs empowers them both as they cover one another's weaknesses. When a WHM is without a SCH to support him, or another WHM to increase their overall MP to cure with, their fault and weakness in conserving MP becomes more apparent.

This is not so much an issue earlier in the game, before you reach more trying dungeons and challenges, but I am always willing to hear counterarguments to these theories. If you have experience playing WHM through difficult endgame dungeons and want to share your experiences, please post in this thread and make your arguments known. While I have been leveling mostly SCH to 50 so I can compare the classes, I have yet to actually experience what others claim to be an issue for WHM at endgame events.

USELESS OR WEAK SPELLS & ABILITIES
    #1 - STONESKIN
    Stoneskin has been severely wounded in ARR. Stoneskin has been changed into a spell you can cast quickly and applies a very weak shielding around a target party member. With Graniteskin, Stoneskin applies a shield equal to 18% of the target's maximum HP. While this sounds fairly strong, in comparison to the potency of cure spells, it is incredibly weak and its value in comparison to its MP cost is abysmal on most targets. Some targets, like MRD/WAR and GLA/PLD currently do benefit greatly from Graniteskin, but it is not right that only 2 classes/jobs benefit from a spell while the caster and other weaker members of the party receive only a fraction of that power. Basing this spell off a target's maximum HP is not right and severely limits its usefulness.

With SCH showing cures that seem to outclass CNJ and WHM's Stoneskin with their additional effects, perhaps this is what SE desired all along?

It is my opinion that Stoneskin must be reverted back to a spell that costs very little MP and has significant value in return for being costly in its cast time. After all, why would I pay so much in MP when I could just cast a cure instead? Stoneskin is currently just not worth it, and needs to be reverted back to a powerful but time-costly spell.

#2 - RAISE
    This spell has been brought up multiple times and with almost always the same confusion (in the previous thread), "Why can't I use it in battle?". Looking over the traits, it becomes obvious the spell can be used in battle later down the line, however, due to the fact that the spells true potential is only realized with a trait, I have to ask, why limit this spell's usefulness and cost CNJ a trait by making this spell even available to other classes when they could merely switch classes if they desired to raise or assist a stranger?

My own thoughts on this are giving WHM an exclusive spell, much like Scholar, so the slot for their Enhanced Raise can be put to better use. Such as:

LEVEL 50
    ENHANCED RAISE - TRAIT
    Raise can be cast upon the Conjurer to grant Reraise.
    Duration: 60m
    #3 - CURE III (CURAGA)
    This spell has an obvious application to recover from heavy wounds to your party, but it's plagued by a problem that makes it nearly useless.

A pathetic 4 yalm raduis. At first glance this would make you think that it would just encourage team coordination in order to take advantage of its higher potency, but this small radius is so restrictive that in several serious battles, the situation demands for the exact opposite of your party. Spread out or die. This severely limits Cure III's usefulness and makes its actual application during play compared to Medica I and II, nonexistent.

Compared to Medica I and II, Cure III is more expensive, covers less ground, and will end up curing fewer members of your party.

IMPORTANT:The other spells and abilities previously listed here have seen some changes, but largely remained the same. Aero had a MP cost reduction for instance. If the issues are still standing however, post your feedback and I will include it above once more.

QUESTIONABLE TRAITS
    Two traits in particular for WHM have some rather strange wording and function. Freecure in particular was odd in Phase 3, and I'd like to ask someone to confirm if the issue present in Phase 3 is still around.

IMPORTANT: We've been recently made aware that the description provided for Freecure might not be all that accurate. According to CivilNomad and Zyzone Freecure DOES in fact effect Cure I's and perhaps even Cure II's providing free access to the spells for the entire 15 seconds the trait is activated. If this is true, then I retract all the statement made over the weakness of this trait, in fact, this can be seriously abused and become far too powerful. If this is the case, then this needs to be rectified with a more accurate translation of these traits abilities as well as nerfed to provide a more reasonable buff that can't be kept up almost constantly.
    Now, with that aside, the descriptions the traits (Freecure and Overcure) provide make me wonder what purpose they are suppose to serve. Why does Cure I enhance Cure II? Why does Cure II enhance Cure III?

Why doesn't the trait Freecure just apply a 15% chance to cast any of your Cures for free? Why doesn't Overcure just apply a 15% additional chance to critical your Cure spells? Why do these traits try to encourage some lame A > B > C combo that has only a minor chance to trigger in the first place?

If I'm casting Cure I, I clearly don't need a free Cure II at the moment as I'm probably just keeping my tank's HP topped off with Cure I. All Freecure encourages me to do is sit around and wait for the enemy to beat up my tank so that I can cast the Cure II for free and get the full worth of its healing potency. This only encourages negligence on the healer's part in order to save some MP.

Aside from Freecure and Overcure, another problem is in the generic traits that plague every class and job in the game. Enhanced Mind/Intelligence/Vitality/Dexterity/Strength/Piety are all worthless traits that add absolutely nothing to the game. If the game is intent on having our attributes at a certain point by the time we're 50, just increase our stat growth to reflect this, why waste trait slots on such boring and useless traits.

LOCKED ENHANCING SPELLS
    Currently, Enhancing spells such as Protect cannot be cast outside the party. Quite simply, the majority of Conjurer's want this silly enforcement removed so we are free to cast our spells as we like. SE has already commented that this will never occur, and I say they can kiss my butt until they make it happen.

IN SUMMARY
    Conjurer suffers many problems, one of which is the classes major focus, healing, is plagued with questionable traits, random chance, and bonuses that quite possibly offer no advantage to the spell you're using, but only the following one in some poor attempt to encourage a A > B > C rotation. One of our major buffs, Stoneskin, has been rendered useless in comparison to the cheaper, more efficient cure spells. Many other spells, such as Aero and Regen, are rendered useless for a wide variety of reasons. Cleric Stance does not improve our ability to contribute to parties, or assist in solo'ing enough. And finally, our enhancing spell IS STILL LOCKED TO PARTY MEMBERS ONLY!!! REMOVE IT!!!

HOWEVER THE MOST SERIOUS ISSUE WITH CNJ/WHM IS THAT THE CLASS/JOB IS BORING!!!

This needs to be worked on Square-Enix!!! Please do something to make Conjurers and White Mage more proactive in their role during party play!

Conjurer is simply not interesting enough in comparison to most other classes. It has no unique mechanics, nor does it actively encourage any kind of rotation in your use of spells that is actually helpful or interesting.

Conjurer desperately needs help to become the powerhouse it once was (though not too powerful!). Please make it happen SE!

I'd like to add that not all of the suggested changes in these opening posts are necessary in order to make CNJ interesting or powerful again, but SOMETHING MUST HAPPEN in order for this class to become acceptable once more.

FINALLY, I'D LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE WHO HAS CONTRIBUTED TO THIS AND ALL THE PREVIOUS THREAD'S SUCCESS AND SUPPORT AND REMIND EVERYONE THAT THIS THREAD ISN'T ABOUT ME OR MY OPINION SO IF ANY OF YOU POSTERS HAVE THOUGHTS OR IDEAS YOU THINK MIGHT CONTRIBUTE TO THE OP PLEASE MAKE THEM KNOWN!!!

THANK YOU FOR HELPING IN TRYING TO MAKE CONJURER A BETTER CLASS!
    (56)
    Last edited by Maldalewyn; 09-14-2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Add MP Concerns

Player
    Character
    Roripu Totapu
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 55

Conjurer & White Mage Redesign

I'd also like to repost this idea as I think this level progression would make CNJ and WHM far more interesting to play.

ELEMENTAL BONUS
    It is important to note that only 1 elemental bonus can be in place per Conjurer. These bonuses can be stacked to a maximum of 4 (EX. 2 CNJ with Water I and II cast would = 4 stacks) however to further enhance Water's HP restoration or Aero's "Haste" and TP restoration.

LEVEL 1
    STONE - SPELL

Deals earth damage with a potency of 140.
    Additional Effect: Allies who perform attacks against the effected target deal additional earth damage with a potency of 20.
    Duration: 20s
    Recast: 2.5s
    Cast time: 2.5s

LEVEL 2
    CURE - SPELL

Restores target's HP.
    Cure Potency: 300
    Cast time: 2.0s

LEVEL 4
    AERO - SPELL
    [WITH REDUCED MP COST]
    Deals wind damage with a potency of 50.
    Additional Effect: Wind damage over time and allies who perform attacks against the effected target have their auto-attack speed increased by 20%.
    DoT Potency: 25
    Duration: 30s
    Recast: 10s

LEVEL 6
    BLESSED MIND - ABILITY

Gradually reduces HP and stores MP. Effect fades and stored MP is obtained upon reuse.
    Recast: 30s

LEVEL 8
    GREATER HEALING - TRAIT

Healing output is increased by 10%

LEVEL 8
    PROTECT - SPELL

Increases the physical defense of all party members within range of target.
    Duration: 30m
    Cast time: 5s

LEVEL 10
    WATER - SPELL

Deals water damage with a potency of 150.
    Additional Effect: 15-yalm knockback and Bind if within 5-yalm radius of CNJ
    Additional Effect: Allies who perform attacks against the effected target regenerate additional HP every attack.
    Bind Duration: 6s
    Addition Effect Duration: 20s
    Cast time: 0s

LEVEL 12
    RAISE - SPELL
    [CAN BE USED IN BATTLE; CNJ/WHM ONLY]
    Resurrects target to a weakened state.
    Cast time: 8s

LEVEL 14
    ELEMENTAL AFFINITY - TRAIT

Increases spell damage by 10%.

LEVEL 15 - QUESTED
    CURA - SPELL

Restores target's HP.
    Cure Potency: 500

LEVEL 16
    BAR - SPELL
    [Ground Select AoE - Would appear like a smaller version of Louisoix's Protect spell]
    Reduces the damage of the next magical attack by 50%.
    Recast: 180s
    Range: 10-yalms

LEVEL 18
    ESUNA - SPELL

Removes all detrimental effects from target.
    Recast: 15s
    Cast time: 1s

LEVEL 20 - QUESTED
    SACRED PRISM - ABILITY

Increases cast time to convert next single-target healing or enhancing spell to affect multiple targets with the range of 30 yalms.
    Recast: 90s

LEVEL 22
    STONA - SPELL

Deals earth damage with a potency of 170.
    Combo Action: Stone
    Combo Potency: 200
    Combo Bonus: Attacks against the enemy are granted a 10% chance to stun the target. Stacks with Stone.
    Duration: 10s

LEVEL 24
    FREE CURE - TRAIT

Grants a 15% chance your Cure spells will be cast for free.

LEVEL 26
    AERORA - SPELL

Deals wind damage with a potency of 70.
    Additional Effect: Wind damage over time and allies who perform attacks against the effected target regenerate 10 TP with every auto-attack. Stacks with Aero.
    Potency: 40
    Duration: 15s

LEVEL 28
    PROSHELL - TRAIT

Adds increased magic defense to Protect effect.

LEVEL 30 - WHM QUESTED
    PRESENCE OF MIND - ABILITY

Makes your spells uninterruptable and allows for reduced movement while casting.

LEVEL 30 - QUESTED
    CURAGA - SPELL

Restores HP of all party members within range of target.
    Cure Potency: 400
    Range: 12-yalms

LEVEL 30
    STONESKIN - SPELL
    [CAN BE USED CROSSCLASS]
    Grants a target 10% reduced physical damage.
    Duration: 30m

LEVEL 32
    ENHANCED STONESKIN - TRAIT
    [THIS IS PRESENT TO MAKE ITS EFFECTS UNIQUE TO CNJ/WHM]
    Creates a barrier around a target that prevents physical damage using your Mind as a base for it's potency.
    Potency: 700
    Cast time: 6s

LEVEL 34
    REPOSE - SPELL

Inflicts target with Sleep. More effective against the Undead.
    Cancels auto-attack upon execution.

LEVEL 35 - WHM QUESTED
    REGEN - SPELL
    [WITH REDUCED MP COST]
    Grants healing over time effect to target.
    Cure Potency: 100

LEVEL 36
    WATERA - SPELL

Deals water damage with a potency of 150.
    Additional Effect: Slows target.
    Combo Action: Water
    Combo Potency: 170
    Combo Bonus: Attacks against the enemy are granted additional HP for every attack. Stacks with Water.
    Slow Duration: 20s
    Combo Bonus Duration: 20s

LEVEL 38
    SHROUD OF SAINTS - ABILITY

Reduces enmity by half.
    Additional Effect: Refresh
    Refresh Potency: 50

LEVEL 40
    ELEMENTAL RAPPORT - TRAIT

Increases spell damage by 30%.

LEVEL 40 - WHM QUESTED
    DIVINE SEAL - ABILITY

Increases cure magic potency by 30%.
    Duration: 15s
    Recast: 60s

LEVEL 42
    OUTSTANDING HEALING - TRAIT

Healing output is increased by 20%

LEVEL 44
    OVERCURE - TRAIT

Grants an additional 15% chance your Cure spells will critical.

LEVEL 45 - WHM QUESTED
    HOLY - SPELL

Delivers a magic attack with a potency of 300 to all nearby enemies.
    Additional Effect: Stun
    Duration: 4s

LEVEL 46
    CURAJA - SPELL

Restores HP of all party members within range of target.
    Cure Potency: 700
    Range: 12-yalms

LEVEL 48
    ENHANCED SHROUD OF SAINTS - TRAIT

Increases Shroud of Saints refresh potency to 100.

LEVEL 50 - WHM QUESTED
    BENEDICTION - ABILITY

Restores all of a target's HP and raises without weakness if KO'ed.
    Recast: 600s

LEVEL 50
    ENHANCED RAISE - TRAIT

Raise can be cast upon the Conjurer to grant Reraise.
    Duration: 60m

NOTE: Removed due to potential abuse of "Zombie Tactics".
    (24)
    Last edited by Maldalewyn; 08-23-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Player
    Character
    White Mage
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Maldalewyn View Post
    LEVEL 50 - WHM QUESTED
    BENEDICTION - ABILITY

Restores all of a target's HP and raises without weakness if KO'ed.
    Recast: 600s
    Out of all that I don't agree with this. Benediction already feels so lackluster and it's hardly ever used unless the tank is about to die and you're dealing with others.
    The raise is a good idea but doubling the cooldown time is really terrible, no ability should have a 10 minute cooldown. The good thing about it is that's it can be used in one boss fight and it'll be up for the next, it's pretty much a last resort and that's all I've ever seen it used as.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Roripu Totapu
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 55
    Quote Originally Posted by Animation View Post
    Out of all that I don't agree with this. Benediction already feels so lackluster and it's hardly ever used unless the tank is about to die and you're dealing with others.
    The raise is a good idea but doubling the cooldown time is really terrible, no ability should have a 10 minute cooldown. The good thing about it is that's it can be used in one boss fight and it'll be up for the next, it's pretty much a last resort and that's all I've ever seen it used as.
    The problem with that is that if you can cast it more often, and it still is able to raise a target to full HP with no weakness, it starts to become far too OP.
    Consider if it's a PLD that died, Benediction heals him to full HP, MP, TP, gets him back on his feet, and 1 Provoke is enough to get him back into action with tanking.

There would be some panic before the tank is able to restore order, but it would be short lived.

If I could do this multiple times in a single battle, that's far too powerful. 10 minutes might be a bit long, but any shorter than 5 and it's starting to look OP, especially if this is an 8 man event with 2 WHM present.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    White Mage
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Maldalewyn View Post
    The problem with that is that if you can cast it more often, and it still is able to raise a target to full HP with no weakness, it starts to become far too OP.
    Consider if it's a PLD that died, Benediction heals him to full HP, MP, TP, gets him back on his feet, and 1 Provoke is enough to get him back into action with tanking.

There would be some panic before the tank is able to restore order, but it would be short lived.

If I could do this multiple times in a single battle, that's far too powerful. 10 minutes might be a bit long, but any shorter than 5 and it's starting to look OP, especially if this is an 8 man event with 2 WHM present.
    What about a 50% HP restore if target needs raising, doesn't restore mana or TP. 2s too actually be revived.
    full HP heal (like now) if target isn't dead.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Daemeon Asari
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 34
    I've yet to get very far on my CNJ, so I really can't contribute much here, but I just wanted to say thanks for writing this up. Looks like a lot of work went into it.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Roripu Totapu
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 55
    Quote Originally Posted by Proteus1 View Post
    I've yet to get very far on my CNJ, so I really can't contribute much here, but I just wanted to say thanks for writing this up. Looks like a lot of work went into it.
    Thank you very much. I hope a lot more fledgling CNJ will be able to contribute later on down the line.

The changes made in the game so far throughout the beta merely increased the potency of some spells. While this fixed Regen (and maybe Aero) and made the spell worth it, I don't think increasing the potency on Cures is going to convince me that the class/job is saved now. In fact it only cements the fact that Stoneskin is more worthless than ever.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Aedra Laevatein
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70
    I think Stoneskin, is never intend to be cast on Tank except before pulling. It's been like this since FF11(except ninja) and best benefit of stoneskin is to prevent spell interruption. I like the idea to scale with MND however FF14 is not FF11 it is good enough for now.

Raise is good as it is or else ppl will just brainlessly zerg.

For Cure, the gap between WHM and SCH have yet to be seen as MND base is a lot different even they have the same cure potency so I'd wait until SCH50
    But the way we have to spam Cure until Freecure is kinda boring, esp its short duration. IMO, it will be ok if duration is changed or infinite until "next" spell cast.

Now I'd like to see WHM vs SCH@50. Ex FF11, you have WHM, RDM and SCH but they have their own aspect such as WHM as best healer due to enmity and status removal. So I'd say, while I agree to some point, I think it'll be too fast to say what is good or not until we've yet to see the lv50 WHM and SCH in action. (not outside dungeon)
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Roripu Totapu
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 55
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedra View Post
    I think Stoneskin, is never intend to be cast on Tank except before pulling. It's been like this since FF11(except ninja) and best benefit of stoneskin is to prevent spell interruption. I like the idea to scale with MND however FF14 is not FF11 it is good enough for now.
    I'm sorry but Stoneskin was NEVER like this in any previous iteration. Definitely not FF11 and most definitely not 1.23 where it's application during battle could be a huge life saver.

This spell use to offer a choice between curing, or casting a longer but more effective spell while applying a shield to a member (or multiple members) of your party. It's use was invaluable and a huge MP saver but it came at the cost of taking forever to cast and get out there.

Stoneskin no longer serves any purpose, especially in comparison to SCH's new additional effects that automatically apply this very same effect (at least it appears this way, will need confirmation). Stoneskin now applies a 18% shield to members of your party based on their HP. The only job that truly benefits from this is the WAR. How is it fair that the EXACT SAME SPELL you cast on other members of your party is severely weakened simply because you have absolutely no control over its potency whatsoever. A WAR at level 50 would receive a huge boon from this, well over 1000 additional HP, while other members of your party, including a PLD will not receive anywhere near as much.

Raise is good as it is or else ppl will just brainlessly zerg.
    I suppose it is, if you're okay with having a useless trait for the sole purpose of letting other classes waste a slot by equipping the same spell with no reason.

You have two. Shroud of Saints and Ether
    I'm aware of both. Ether are useless at higher levels, and Shroud of Saints use to be worthless.

Since phase 3, its had its potency increased which may very well solve the issue. I don't believe this was an effective solution however since Shroud of Saints is used for multiple purposes. When Blessed Mind was available it was easy to pick between the two. Shroud of Saints was your go-to if you were starting to reach lower levels of MP OR if you had gathered far too much enmity. Blessed Mind was always there on the other hand and it served only in helping you receive MP and its cool down made it readily available. Now we have only one of the two, and while it has been buffed to, what I hope, is an acceptable level, it still remains our only hope.

I'll have to wait and see how it works, if it turns out this ability is all I need, then I'll remove this from the OP.
    (8)
    Last edited by Maldalewyn; 08-23-2013 at 06:14 AM.

Player
    Character
    Black Beard
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    I agree, Stoneskin is aimed for avoiding massive AoEs damage and not to not get your spells interrupted. But whats that about scaling MND?
    (0)

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast