Player
    Character
    Khojinn Kha
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80

Demon Names

I noticed this today while playing Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together...

In FFXIV 1.0, the final boss in the Black Mage quest line was named Barbatos.

In Tactics Ogre: LUCT, one of the major villains is named Cardinal Rayunder Barbatos. He's name is updated in the PSP remake to Hierophant Leundar Balbatos and in both cases he is the leader of the Gargastan/Galgastan people.

In Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis, there is a character named Naris Batraal who is the lord and regent of Rananculus.

In FFXIV, we fight a demon named Batraal in the Dzemael Darkhold.

Both these games are owned by SE. Ferne, are you guys naming all the gargoyle demons after political leaders from the TO series? Because...that's awesome if you are.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Fiery Mojo
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Nope, both games draw names from real-world Demonology.
    (8)
    FFXIV player since 1.0 alpha, and still pretty terrible at this game. Thank the Twelve it's not actually hard like FFXI.

Player
    Character
    Khojinn Kha
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    I'm aware of Barbatos in terms of demonology. I'm not familiar with Batraal however. Regardless, it's still a cool connection. I didn't realize that the characters in TO had any real life meanings to their names when I played them the first time through. Pretty cool how XIV can teach me something new about a completely separate game
    (2)
    Last edited by Mtoto_Wamoto; 08-13-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Player
    Character
    Fiery Mojo
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtoto_Wamoto View Post
    I'm not familiar with Batraal however.
    Batraal was one of the eighteen angels who came to Earth (ie fell) to teach magic to mortals. It was the spread of this knowledge that necessitated the great flood.

I wonder, if he'll make a return in ARR and his story will parallel that of his 'real world' counterpart. It would be interesting if he were one of the voidsent that the masked mages originally made a pact with for immortality. That was followed by a flood too...
    (5)
    FFXIV player since 1.0 alpha, and still pretty terrible at this game. Thank the Twelve it's not actually hard like FFXI.

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjollnir View Post
    Batraal was one of the eighteen angels who came to Earth (ie fell) to teach magic to mortals. It was the spread of this knowledge that necessitated the great flood.

I wonder, if he'll make a return in ARR and his story will parallel that of his 'real world' counterpart. It would be interesting if he were one of the voidsent that the masked mages originally made a pact with for immortality. That was followed by a flood too...
    Nice one. You find names get taken from everywhere, not just demonology or names of deities.

Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaula
    Lambda Scorpii (λ Sco, λ Scorpii) is the second brightest star system in the constellation Scorpius, and one of the brightest stars in the nighttime sky. It has the Bayer designation λ despite being the second brightest in its constellation. It has the traditional name Shaula, which comes from the Arabic الشولاء al-šawlā´ meaning the raised [tail], as it is found in the tail of the scorpion (Scorpius). It is known as 尾宿八 (the Eighth Star of the Tail) in Chinese.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antares
    Antares (α Scorpii, α Sco, Alpha Scorpii) is a red supergiant star in the Milky Way galaxy and the sixteenth brightest star in the nighttime sky. It is one of the four brightest stars near the ecliptic. It is the brightest star in the constellation Scorpius, and is often referred to as "the heart of the scorpion".
    Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargas
    Theta Scorpii (θ Sco, θ Scorpii) is a star in the southern zodiac constellation of Scorpius. It has the traditional name Sargas, of Sumerian origin.[10] In Chinese, it is referred to as 尾宿五 (Mandarin: wěi xiù wǔ), the Fifth Star of the Tail.[citation needed]
    And these are of course the names of the three scorpion bosses in the Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak before the calamity. Post-calamity, the boss is named Graffias.

Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_Scorpii
    Beta Scorpii (β Sco, β Scorpii) is a multiple star system in the southern zodiac constellation of Scorpius. It has the traditional names Acrab, Akrab or Elacrab, all come from (Arabic: العقرب‎) al-'Aqrab, the Scorpion, for the whole constellation, as well as Graffias, a name it shares with Xi Scorpii. It was known as 房宿四 (the Fourth Star of the Room) in Chinese.
    I find the use of the scorpio constellation fascinating.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Zenaku Yamada
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Man i have 22 cards of Tactics Ogre maybe i can find more names named after the same as the cards later on in the game.
    (0)
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Autographed By "Akihiko Yoshida Tarot Card Sweepstakes Winner

Player
    Character
    Punainen Drak
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    Even Sargatanas is a real-world demonology name. He's actually a very interesting demon. A fallen angel that was royalty in Hell, but decided he didn't like Hell after all, so set about to try to redeem himself by waging war on Hell.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Fiery Mojo
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Punainen View Post
    Even Sargatanas is a real-world demonology name. He's actually a very interesting demon. A fallen angel that was royalty in Hell, but decided he didn't like Hell after all, so set about to try to redeem himself by waging war on Hell.
    I was pwning all those silly sword-name servers on Twitter last night with that fact!
    (2)