Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90

Moogles

So pre-calamity, everyone could see moogles (if they weren't hiding), but the gift of mooglespeak was the hard bit and, unless taught, was generally considered to be echo-given.

Somehow things have changed. Putting aside the fact you can understand them pre-starshower (because the opening cutscene has its own argument for echo-blessing), now it's about being able to see them in the first place. Supposedly, you have to be special in order to see them.

Any thoughts on the change? It seems somewhat disingenuous to have creatures that can't be seen (or understood) delivering mail.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Vesperlyn Hayle
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Maybe Moogles are just using Sneak and Invisible, and The Echo gives us Truesight? Either way, I think this one we're gonna have to wait for Fern to be less busy for an answer on it... :<
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Fiery Mojo
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Maybe they only exist inside our minds, and it's us downing merchants' wine whilst they're not looking.
    (0)
    FFXIV player since 1.0 alpha, and still pretty terrible at this game. Thank the Twelve it's not actually hard like FFXI.

Player
    Character
    Zenaku Yamada
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    I sure they can show them-self to people so they ended up wanting to help the people of eorzea in the time of need.
    (2)
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Autographed By "Akihiko Yoshida Tarot Card Sweepstakes Winner

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenaku View Post
    I sure they can show them-self to people so they ended up wanting to help the people of eorzea in the time of need.
    That is plausible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjollnir View Post
    Maybe they only exist inside our minds, and it's us downing merchants' wine whilst they're not looking.
    Take your darksteel tinfoil hat off, please. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusavari View Post
    Maybe Moogles are just using Sneak and Invisible, and The Echo gives us Truesight? Either way, I think this one we're gonna have to wait for Fern to be less busy for an answer on it... :<
    I try not to light the beacon to Sondry Londes until at least basic examination has proven fruitless.
    (1)

Player

It was my understanding everyone could always see them, it was just very rare to. Understanding them though was difficult.

In the opening cinematic for Gridania in 1.x you are chased by an angry Treant and are saved by a troupe of moogles playing music that soothes it. A moogle then speaks to you briefly and the Guards who found you are amazed that you can understand them, but they all can visibly see the moogles.

In ARR i thought that they just came out of hiding to assist the general populous by delivering mail because of their ability to fly as well as the linkshells failing to work. They want to help the people an it's a way to assimilate into society.

So everyone can see them but few can understand them still. But everyone knows if they give them a letter with a destination an recipient on it they will deliver it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Fiery Mojo
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Takoom View Post
    In the opening cinematic for Gridania in 1.x you are chased by an angry Treant and are saved by a troupe of moogles playing music that soothes it. A moogle then speaks to you briefly and the Guards who found you are amazed that you can understand them, but they all can visibly see the moogles.
    In the opening of ARR, they interact with you and the merchant (wossisname) on the cart with you actually can't see them. The Moogles themselves are surprised you can see them iirc and explain that most people can't.

That's a change form 1.0, which is Catapult's point.

I was thinking that they only delivered mail to those that could see them (adventurers/crystal-touched), but then I remember something about the mail system being set up to replace linkshells due to the aether-disruption in the interim five years... so that wouldn't make sense.

Also, isn't there a visible Moogle in the "Help me xxx, you're my only hope." quest to retrieve Leia's egg?

Some contradictions? Or is it all a bit Fight Club and the Moogles are our Tyler Durden?
    (2)
    FFXIV player since 1.0 alpha, and still pretty terrible at this game. Thank the Twelve it's not actually hard like FFXI.

Player
    Character
    Zenaku Yamada
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    There also a CS in grid in 1.0 where a girl want the moogle to come and save the kid. She can also see the moogles so ya they can be seen by anyone but they can also hide.
    (0)
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Autographed By "Akihiko Yoshida Tarot Card Sweepstakes Winner

Player
    Character
    Norack Sunstorm
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Anyone can see them and you do not have to be blessed with echo to be able to speak and understand them.

However they are rare, and they tend to hide from people, because alot of people (mostly people from Ul'dah) would kill them and sell there skin.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Vilhem Dijkstra
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Perhaps moogles aren't always visible to the "normal" folk. It makes me recall that one quest in Gridania where you had to take some treats to a tree to lure a moogle out, and they specifically send you because of your "special" abilities.
    (0)
    Meow

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast