Character
    Shon Totto
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50

KEY ENEMIES UPDATED (8/1/13)

KEY ENEMIES

So, Ascian confirmed as Paragons! Or did we have official word before?
    (1)

┬─┬︵/(.□.)╯ Russian Table

Player
    Character
    Ferth Fontaine
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 70
    Anyone else cringe when reading all of the new blurbs about Gaius Van Baelsar's lackeys? Gunbaghnakhs? Seriously!?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Fiery Mojo
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferth View Post
    Anyone else cringe when reading all of the new blurbs about Gaius Van Baelsar's lackeys? Gunbaghnakhs? Seriously!?
    Glad they called the gunhammer "Mjolnir" and not "Mjollnir". Now no-one will confuse my character's name with it and I won't get endless /tells letting me know my name has been spelt wrong. Oh wait...
    (4)
    FFXIV player since 1.0 alpha, and still pretty terrible at this game. Thank the Twelve it's not actually hard like FFXI.

Player
    Character
    Khojinn Kha
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    I'M SO HAPPY THEY RELEASED INFO ON THESE NEW GUYS AND THE ASCIANS. END CAPS LOCK.

Seriously tho, I think I might have figured out the history of the Ascians.

/inbeforesomeoneelsespoilstheloreforeveryone

Here are a few things about the Ascians we know...

The beastmen fear the Ascians. They fear them so much, they are willing to halt their quarrel with one another when one of them appears in the 1.0 Main Quest line and the Sylphs are asked to shroud the group in protective magic to hide them from the creature.*

The Paragons are the ones who taught the beastmen how to summon the Primals. The current Primals didn't appear until recently, post Tragedy of Silver Tear Falls when the Agrius and Midgardsormr crashed into the lake in Mor Dhona, creating a huge imbalance of aether throughout the realm and freeing the lesser primals. In fact, the lesser Primals didn't assume corporal form until about 1564 when Ifrit and other Primals began to appear. Garuda and Moggle Mog didn't appear until 1572. Titan and Leviathan appeared sometime between that. **

The Ascian we see in ARR remarks something to the extent of "To think that I would live to see Bahamut once again". We know Bahamut was sealed away sometime in the 4th Umbral Era, during the fall of the Great Allagan Empire. Dalamud is a construct of Allagan technology and magic. For the Ascian to have last seen Bahamut, he would need to be several thousand years old.*

The 6th Umbral Era was brought about by the rise of immortal mages who made a pact with the demon lords of the seven hells for immortality in exchange for full dominion over the realm and sacrificing (I believe it was, I'll have to find the line of text) 2 million souls. The Archons, men and women who are believed to be reincarnates of the Twelve themselves, rose to fight against them. It can be speculated that these mages are the Ascians.

My theory is that the Ascians were once Allagan mages who made a blood pact with the ruling creatures of the void in order to become immortal and gain power. In exchange for their power and immortality, the Ascians were bound to completing their blood pact by destroying the mother crystal, in effect creating a huge imbalance in the aether of Eorzea, possibly expanding the rift between the Void and our own realm and killing off several thousand, if not millions, of people in the process by returning the world to nothing (A common Final Fantasy bad guy theme). The Ascians were likely the ones to have summoned the Elder Primals in the first place which brought about the 4th Umbral Era and ended the 3rd Astral Era. In a last ditch effort to save the realm from destruction, heroes (possibly the Archons) sealed away Bahamut inside Dalamud and casted him into the heavens. They may have also imprisoned other Elder Primals as well (such as Odin).*

Having failed that time, the Ascians may have tried another catastrophe in the 4th Astral Era to bring in the 5th Umbral Era. Not much is known here aside from the tidbit that darkness descended onto the hears of man, but I speculate the Ascians managed to bring about war between the various nations that rose up after the fall of the Allagan Empire (Nym, Gelmorra, etc.) The Twelve may have intervened and stopped them somehow (again, possibly Archons)

The 6th Umbral Era was known for the Great Deluge brought about by the Twelve to purge the lands because of the dark magic that was consuming the realm by a group of "dark mages". The Grand Companies rose and the Archons came back. They succeeded in driving back the Ascians and the 6th Astral Era came out, this was about 1572 years ago prior to the start of 1.0...

It was in the 6th Astral Era that the Ascians, now calling themselves the Paragons, went around and taught the beastmen tribes how to summon the Primals and use crystals to feed them energy. This created a huge schism in the balance of aether in the realm, which was likely the Ascians goal in the first place.*

The 7th Umbral Era was brought about by the rise of the lesser primals (this is a term I use, not a term used ingame) and the fall of Dalamud along with the return of Bahamut. I suspect that Nael van Darnus (who was of Allagan descent) was corrupted by the Ascians to get the events which would bring back Bahamut. Because of the aetherial imbalance, the world was thrown into chaos. The archons (the Circle of Knowing) attempted to do what they could to save the realm while the powers of Twelve once again intervened before Bahamut could actually destroy the realm for good. To be honest, I think that the Twelve is simply a thing that the five races created to explain the divine powers of the Mother Crystal, so when Louisoix 'called upon the Twelve' he was simply using the power of the Mother Crystal...which if I recall, calling upon the Twelve uses a great amount of aether...and aether is the lifeblood of the mother crystal...
    Anyways, now that the Mother Crystal is weaker and vulnerable, the Ascians might be approaching what is their endgame and plan to destroy the mother crystal once and for all to fufill their several millenniums old blood pact.*

This is all speculation of course, but I think its pretty solid based off what we know...

Either way...

IF I'M RIGHT, SOMEONE BETTER BUY ME A MANSION IN GAME.

Edit: someone reminded me of an article talking about Garuda, and the Garuda questline says she's been an enemy to Gridania for night on ten years. However, this still asserts the fact that the lesser primals didn't appear, or rather, re-appear until recently.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Rogue Muse
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Gunblade, Gunhalberd, Gunhammer, Gunbaghnakhs, Gunshield ..... still no Gunsubligar
    (15)

Player
    Character
    Sid Rheingold
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferth View Post
    I really appreciate it!

We already had the Gunblade and Gunhalberd as Garlean weapons in version 1.x, so I'm glad they keep this idea for the other generals.

Remember that the Garlean Empire is very advanced in machina builds, so it makes perfect sense to me.
    (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasunaich View Post
    Ich hoffe, du kommst auch ohne Rezept an genug Koks XD

Player
    Character
    Fiery Mojo
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnesium02 View Post
    Gunblade, Gunhalberd, Gunhammer, Gunbaghnakhs, Gunshield ..... still no Gunsubligar
    Though we can definitely expect the Gunbook!

(8)
    FFXIV player since 1.0 alpha, and still pretty terrible at this game. Thank the Twelve it's not actually hard like FFXI.

Player
    Character
    Vesperlyn Hayle
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Dear god... Fern... Make the gunbook happen!!! Also... because it will eventually happen...

The Gungun.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Fiery Mojo
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusavari View Post
    The Gungun.

NOT IN MY FFXIV.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Vesperlyn Hayle
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Perhaps a better name might be... The Gunmusket? The Gunflintlock? The Gunrifle? The Gunpistol?
    (0)

11. 08-01-2013 10:29 PM

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast