Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucke View Post
    Are there any height differences between certain clans? We already know that Highlanders are taller than Midlanders, but what about Dunesfolk/Plainsfolk, and Sun/Moon, and Sea Wolf/Hellsguard Are those clans pretty even stevens?
    That's a good question. I was only working off the provided image, so my little project here hasn't had the potential yet to investigate that. With no other info, I would give the benefit of doubt to the image creator and assume they did check for any other clan differences but didn't find any, and thus didn't include them.

Maybe once the char creation benchmark comes out we can put it up to our own testing.
    (0)
    Check out my Eorzean fonts! - Twitter: @MyrandaFFXIV
    http://dachoutom.no-ip.org/ffxiv/fonts.html
    The Astronomical Society of Eorzea!
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/142965-The-Astronomical-Society-of-Eorzea

Player
    Character
    Vesperlyn Hayle
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Myranda View Post
    It has the option to be sorted by height, and 5'7" is really not terribly more prevalent than any other value and definitely quite correlated with countries in Asia, Africa, and Central and South America. North America and Europe are very clearly higher at about 5'9" or more... I'd hardly call 5'7" universal.

Keep in mind there's also a few entries such as multiple ones for the US where they've singled out sub-populations like Mexican Americans or Black Americans, or there's factors like the percent of the whole national population sampled in that study, the age ranges included, etc. All the columns need to be taken into account to get the full picture.
    You are right... But you also have to keep in mind populations. China and India are going to skew the over all statistics to the left. That draws the world average down, because you have 2 populations accounting for nearly 3/7ths of the over all population (With China around 1.4b and India being around 1.2b). European nations account for far less. The whole of Europe + the US accounts for 1 billion. People's Republic of China is right at 5'7", which "China" listed at 5'8", but I presume by China, it means The Republic of China... or Taiwan as we call it, which is a lot less populous. A lot of the South American nations don't report in for males on the list, but extrapolating from the female scores listed... a lot of them are going to have smaller than average males too, pulling the world population down.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Haxaan Shivar
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Great Work Myr! thanks so much for putting this together!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusavari View Post
    You are right... But you also have to keep in mind populations. China and India are going to skew the over all statistics to the left. That draws the world average down, because you have 2 populations accounting for nearly 3/7ths of the over all population (With China around 1.4b and India being around 1.2b). European nations account for far less. The whole of Europe + the US accounts for 1 billion. People's Republic of China is right at 5'7", which "China" listed at 5'8", but I presume by China, it means The Republic of China... or Taiwan as we call it, which is a lot less populous. A lot of the South American nations don't report in for males on the list, but extrapolating from the female scores listed... a lot of them are going to have smaller than average males too, pulling the world population down.
    As true as that may be, I don't see a full global average as a relevant statistic here. It would wash away the entire point of this exercise, which is comparing different races/clans. This is all about the sub-populations, not a single global average.

Besides, what would you compare that to? The average of just all hyurs combined? Do lalafells count in the Eorzean global average too? What weights do you assign the Eorzean populations in the averaging? (e.g. do you follow the lore when it says miqo'te males are not very populous and thus rarely seen, or do you follow how many players actually make male miqo'te for their characters?) There's just not much in the way of meaningful comparisons with a single global value.

It still also doesn't support the idea in your original reply that Highlanders would correspond to America while Midlanders would be European, because regardless of what's going on in Asia or Africa or what total populations are, Europe is still on average slightly taller than America so it makes no sense to associate the taller clan with the shorter RL population...

Anyways, I stand by my assessment I've done so far, and it still won't change what the relative heights between the races are, miqo'te will always be smaller than hyurs, etc. Everything will scale up/down together, there's no increasing just one race while decreasing the other ones. Others are free to change the 170cm standard height in their own copy of the spreadsheet if they want to, but I'm keeping it at that unless we hear otherwise from Ferne or another loremaster.
    (1)
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/142965-The-Astronomical-Society-of-Eorzea

Player
    Character
    Vesperlyn Hayle
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Actually, I wasn't suggesting that you should change it, and I was trying to get across the point that you convinced me after your first reply ^^ I wasn't trying to argue.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Blazel Nox
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    Thanks for this, It's very helpful ! I was quite confused with the scaling of the heights previously, but not anymore ! now to make my Hyur Midlander a mirroring of my other self, at 175cm tall !
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Beogrimm Dex
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    interesting. when i made my highlander i automaticly put the hight value to 100% but in my imagination he is exactly 6''3' ...
    so maybe there is something to your math there ...interesting. *clap*
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Vesperlyn Hayle
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    The new Character Creator Benchmark has height in inches listed. Midlander Female 100% is ~5'7"
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Fiery Mojo
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Hellsguard Roegadyn @ 100 is 90.7 inches, so looks like you underestimated!

Presumably an updated spreadsheet is in the works as I type...
    (0)
    FFXIV player since 1.0 alpha, and still pretty terrible at this game. Thank the Twelve it's not actually hard like FFXI.

Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Ok, I wasn't expecting that lol... just woke up so I haven't started on updating the spreadsheet, but I'm way surprised to see that included in the char creation benchmark. We'll have to see how well my numbers match up after the adjustments are made but wow I'm surprised that mine seem to have been lowballed.

The spreadsheet should still be useful for the equations it gives (like say if you want to know what slider value to set if you want to be a specific height), or just to know the general ranges ahead of time.

Also, the benchmark does seem to confirm that there aren't any differences for clans aside from the hyurs.
    (0)
    Last edited by Myranda; 08-01-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast