Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90

Sprite v. Elemental

Has anybody noticed that Sprites and Elementals are reversed in FFXIV?

At first, we only had the fairy-looking elementals, so it was a non-issue. The fairies were just Eorzea's brand of elemental. However, now, we've brought in elementals of the style that they represent a pure aspect - and we call them sprites. Why might I think that's weird?
    elemental - n. (fantasy)
    A creature (usually a spirit) that is attuned with, or composed of, one of the classical elements

sprite - n. (mythology)
    1. A spirit; a soul; a shade; also, an apparition
    2. An elf; a fairy; a goblin.
    In terms of fantasy imagery and word connotation, we now seem to have it backwards. Does this make anyone else feel a little offput or am I being too nitpicky?
    (4)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 07-30-2013 at 03:54 AM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Noloe Tazier
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Nah I feel the same way Moose. I say a lot of people will just call the "Sprites" Elementals, after all they are similar to the FFXI Elementals. Might lead to a bit of confusion for new players who are not necessarily use to the "sprites" being the real Elementals. For a new player, for example, hearing about a Conjurer talking to an Elemental I'm not sure their first imagery would be the sprite.

Edit: Course there's Elementals in FFXII as well, so it's not just a FFXI thing.
    (0)
    Last edited by NoloeTazier; 07-30-2013 at 04:04 AM.
    Check out my Lore posts:
    An Eorzean Timeline: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/64377-An-Eorzean-Timeline-Reborn

Player
    Character
    Tyger Maimhov
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 60
    I agree. When I first saw the elementals called sprites I thought it would only be the low level ones as a kind of hierarchy. I couldn't find a single elemental called an elemental even though the sprites are more elemental than the elementals were. Since Gridania dialogue still referes to elementals I assume that the name now only applies to the great elementals (like Oha-Sok). It would be better imo if they kept the new look and went back to calling them elementals.

As an aside: What would an elemental of Wrath look like with the new look?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Hiraeth Petrichor
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Agree, keep the new look, go back to the old name. Would make heaps more sense as opposed to how it is now.
    (1)
    * I fully give permission for any of my written ideas to be used by SE without recognition.

Player
    Character
    Zenaku Yamada
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    I love the new look the sprites where just all the same with different colors.

Can anyone tell me what happen to the fairy-looking ones? Did they just become the elemental we have today? if so how did that happen how come they turn in to elemental and no longer have a fairy body? That the only thing i really want to know.
    (0)
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Autographed By "Akihiko Yoshida Tarot Card Sweepstakes Winner

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    They're probably still around. It'd be incredibly hard to remove them from the lore, which is the main reason for this thread. Not only are the fairy-looking elementals still part of the lore, but even the term elemental is so engrained in Gridanian culture in reference to them that ... how could we do anything but go through the game using backwards names now that we have aspected entities, as well? Except that backwardsness makes my brain itch.
    (1)
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Zenaku Yamada
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    They're probably still around. It'd be incredibly hard to remove them from the lore, which is the main reason for this thread. Not only are the fairy-looking elementals still part of the lore, but even the term elemental is so engrained in Gridanian culture in reference to them that ... how could we do anything but go through the game using backwards names now that we have aspected entities, as well? Except that backwardsness makes my brain itch.
    I have not seen them anywhere in the game. Maybe there body just turn into the basic of there element that my idea. If there still around then not sure lol
    (0)
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Autographed By "Akihiko Yoshida Tarot Card Sweepstakes Winner

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    I... think there is a good reason for this.

The vibe I've got around the Gridanian quests is that the forest was harmed far more than is visible on the surface. Explicitly, the elementals themselves were harmed and are thus less prominent, as if they are hibernating to survive. (Or are maybe being surpressed by ascians.)
    This would explain why no random elementals are running around anymore and we are only seeing the volatile sprites.

As for their graphical representation not matching the name... that is certainly awkward. They can't use the iconic elemental model without calling them elementals. Maybe there would be a more appropriate name? I'm not sure what, though...

...I can live with Sprite.
    (0)