Thread: Egi Appearance

Player
    Character
    Akujin Aetheoryn
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    I admit that going by the original concept artwork I was personally hoping that somehow ARR developers had somehow managed to slip an idea of mine out of my dreams and create it (I wouldn't care, not as if I'm going to go into game development anyways). In that, the Ifrit concept art made it appear as though the SMN was going to be cloaked in the essence of the Primal, while the image of the Primal rises up above and around the player. What I had hoped at the time would mean that the Primal would superimpose itself as a 'shadow' over your player, giving the player unique benefits to the type of Primal, some animation effects unique to them. Such as, Ifrit claws sweeping in and out of the air to strike a foe you target, in place of your own book AA. (any idea what this is going to be? Are we book-thumping them, sending a focused ball of energy from the pages? I'm cool with book thumping. Makes it more..judge like. And not XII judge, I mean, real life judge. "going to throw the book at you!"

In anycase, so Ifrit would cloak you in fiery cloak, swipe with claws. Titan would cloak the player in amber energies while spikes of earth are shot out towards the target. etc etc.

But this way works too, because it reminds me of the Elementalist in GW2 that I so adored. Ifrit to be a straight up DPS, Titan to be a tank pet, Garuda to possibly boost speed/GCD reductions, Ramuh to zap targets, inflict paralysis debuffs, maybe even a shock spike effect to the player? And on and on it goes.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Haxaan Shivar
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Catapult View Post
    Could this be an effect of summoning a small part of their essence that pervades the aether without allowing their personality in?

As in, the personality adds definition to a basic aetherial form.
    I agree with this catapult. To me it seems like the egi forms, being a small portion of the primals power, they are unstable and seem to almost be what the Primals could have looked like originally when the beast tribes were young. The longer time went by the more the tribes prayed to them, the more powerful they became (almost like the gods of greek times). The more powerful they became the more sentient they became and so on and so forth. So being that the egi's are a "sample" of the primals power it seems to make sense that they would look so "primal" if you will... very elemental looking with a very basic form. I personally really like the design of the egi's and if my theory is anywhere near correct then I feel like the other egi's should look pretty amazing too! I am Excite!
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Aqu'a Fantasia
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by norrain13 View Post
    What does Egi mean, and how exactly is it pronounced.

I keep seeing it and going Eggy... which sounds pretty stupid.
    It is pronounced "Eggy" but the has always been spelt "Egi".

Its literal translation (from Latin) is 'To do, drive, lead', or to 'pass or spend time', so I'll be honest and admit that I don't really see the link =/
    The only other word I can find that comes close is "Egis", which is the name of an armour's breastplate (often used in the FF-series and spelt like 'Aegis', which is its more common form).

Garuda-Egi was also previously in FF XII, as a boss and (later) a normal mob.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Katja Baladeva
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniolaut View Post
    As for their looks, why cant they have legs? I mean is it really that difficult to add a few more sculpted textures/model-ization?
    Ifrit is the only one I see without legs
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniolaut View Post
    an explanation as to why they dont summon the entire beast
    Well that's easy enough. It would [kupo!]ing murder you. You'll have cheesed most of them off in the main scenario by the time you get to unlocking the Summoner job, after all.

More exposition and personal theorising:

Through the Scions of the Seventh Dawn quests surrounding Ifrit (and tidbits from version 1.0), we learn that the primals are, in their natural state, part of the aether stream. The elemental aspect itself as you will. The act of summoning essentially causes that aspect to manifest itself.

And once it is manifested and worshiped, it likes staying that way. Their power is directly linked to the volume of faith in them, which explains why Ifrit goes out of his way to "temper" people (read: brainwash) into blindly worshiping him.

This tells us that a primal exists only through what sentient creatures believe exists. My conclusion is that if you believe Ifrit has a personality, or more specifically, if you believe in that specific Ifrit with that specific personality, if you will it to exist, then you are contributing to the wilful summoning and sustenance of that entity. Before you know it, you have a self-propagating cycle of thought creating reality creating thought.

A smart summoner would be sure to act on the summoning of a different manifestation. Perhaps we can't help ourselves by envisaging a form similar to what we know, but we sure as hell don't want the crazy harpy-lady to show up so she can slice open our necks. We want something we can have dominance over and control.
    (9)
    Last edited by Catapult; 07-31-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Player
    Character
    Santori Zhonets
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    Egi. stupid? uninspired? silly?

At the time it was announced, I thought the name "iPod" was the stupidist name I ever heard. I thought the man (Steve Jobs) had lost his marbles. I literally facedesked. As it turns out, even silly-sounding names for things become popular if the thing itself is admired for its function or whatever. "Eggo" and "LEGO", just to name two more.

So I'm OK with "egi". (French: "egi", German: "egi", Japanese: "egi", FF XII: "egi")

As for appearance, I think they look good, and will look even better animated and in 3D. (I'll admit that the Titan-egi image did look like a sack of rocks to me when I first saw it...)
    (0)
    Last edited by ArkhamNative; 07-31-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Player
    Character
    Psxpert Sylph
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    I'm def interested with what you can do with them instead of what they look like or what they're called. I'm also understanding that Carbuncle will come im many different colors! Is this true or just a concept?
    (0)

~'\[[_LEGACY_]]/'~
    TENTs because solo-friendly content forces me to want one!
    (HP + Instantly logout anywhere)

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/my/
    *Excalibur* Nation: Limsa Laminsa

Player
    Character
    Vesperlyn Hayle
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Catapult View Post
    Well that's easy enough. It would [kupo!]ing murder you. You'll have cheesed most of them off in the main scenario by the time you get to unlocking the Summoner job, after all.

More exposition and personal theorising:

Through the Scions of the Seventh Dawn quests surrounding Ifrit (and tidbits from version 1.0), we learn that the primals are, in their natural state, part of the aether stream. The elemental aspect itself as you will. The act of summoning essentially causes that aspect to manifest itself.

And once it is manifested and worshiped, it likes staying that way. Their power is directly linked to the volume of faith in them, which explains why Ifrit goes out of his way to "temper" people (read: brainwash) into blindly worshiping him.

This tells us that a primal exists only through what sentient creatures believe exists. My conclusion is that if you believe Ifrit has a personality, or more specifically, if you believe in that specific Ifrit with that specific personality, if you will it to exist, then you are contributing to the wilful summoning and sustenance of that entity. Before you know it, you have a self-propagating cycle of thought creating reality creating thought.

A smart summoner would be sure to act on the summoning of a different manifestation. Perhaps we can't help ourselves by envisaging a form similar to what we know, but we sure as hell don't want the crazy harpy-lady to show up so she can slice open our necks. We want something we can have dominance over and control.
    My one beef with this idea, is if the primal exists through what the summoners believe... Why are the Sylphs so scared of Ramuh? He shouldn't come out crazy under them like Ifrit or Garuda do for their tribes.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Aqu'a Fantasia
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusavari View Post
    My one beef with this idea, is if the primal exists through what the summoners believe... Why are the Sylphs so scared of Ramuh? He shouldn't come out crazy under them like Ifrit or Garuda do for their tribes.
    The Sylphs are split. I don't know as much about it as the more Lore-mongering people do, but I believe that the Green Sylphs are, in fact, terrified of the Primals. The Purple Sylphs are the ones which worship Ramuh and have become "tainted" by him, the reason they became purple in the first place.

If I'm wrong then please correct me, but this is what I understood.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Tyger Maimhov
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by PSxpert2011 View Post
    I'm def interested with what you can do with them instead of what they look like or what they're called. I'm also understanding that Carbuncle will come im many different colors! Is this true or just a concept?
    http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/post/501
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast