Player
    Character
    Richter Fact
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90

Question regarding the map of Eorzea

While checking out the map of Eorzea I noticed something on it I never paid much attention to. On the lower left corner of it you have this:

Those 4 symbols at the top are obviously the 4 main city-states, but what about those below? Hamlets? I don't recall the Hamlets having their own flag though.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Hanzzo Kai
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 40
    Thank you for asking! I always wondered when I looked at the map, but never got around to asking.

/call the lore masters
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Addicted View Post
    [W]hat about those below?
    I wouldn't discount the smaller symbols as being cities/townships. The "big four" there are the official members of the Eorzean Alliance, which was originally founded to combat the over-bearing military might of Ala Mhigo. That would explain why those four take prominence in the design, both in detail of the city-states on the map as well as the larger flags. The first version of this map was drafted in 1506 Sixth Astral Era, so perhaps that timing lines up.

The blue/white one is familiar but I can't quite place it yet...

Based on the grouping of the Eorzean Alliance members, I think it's also safe to assume the others are grouped according to some relation. What can we make of those groupings?
    (3)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 07-10-2013 at 09:22 AM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Rogue Muse
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Deities? Battle/crafting/gathering guilds? Beastmen? Character Races?

No idea, but it is interesting
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Richter Fact
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    I originally attributed those symbols to actual places because of these symbols in the map:

Unfortunately, the resolution is far too low to see if there's any resemblance to the ones I posted.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    If you look at the ships sailing into Limsa Lominsa, they bear the blue and white flag. Why is it so familiar to me...

We also see a small red rectangle off the western coast of Thanalan and to the south of Sharlayan, and a small yellow/orange one off the coast of Mazlaya (off the west coast of Thanalan), which could be two of the flags in this smaller box.

I believe the red flag with the white mark in the center may be Sharlayan, as we see the red rectangle next to where text-descriptions in game place the city and a ship sailing away from this location bears the same flag on its mast...

Looks like I'm getting to work!

[Starts a new wiki page and puts on his translating hat.]
    (2)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 07-10-2013 at 10:37 AM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Lucke Arrayo
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 80
    That fourth flag is probably Ishgard. Note that it has spears on wither side. Ishgard is famous for it's dragoons right? I'm also thinking those smaller icons could be the class/job symbols.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Noloe Tazier
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    As Moose says they're mostly likely associated to Hamlets, small cities/townships. Places Roddard Ironheart would have stayed as he journeyed across Eorzea mapping the details. The odd thing for me is the detailed drawings of Ishgard, Gridania, Ul'dah and Limsa Lominsa and the vague copy/paste city design for Sharlayan and Ala Mhigo. Maybe he wasn't allowed into these cities for details or maybe a sting of the Autumn War still hung around Roddard so he gave preference to the 4 City-States.

The flags are at least grouped together...4 -> 3 -> 2 -> 2 -> 3...but as Moose stated the Blue Flag with the White Stripe looks to be associated it with Limsa or at least the ships near Limsa. So they aren't in order of the City-State, so I don't know the exact order, but a few places I think could be considered:

Ul'dah:
    • Golden Bazaar
    • Silver Bazaar
    • Camp Blackbrush --- This is where "outcast" and poor Ul'dahns live.

Limsa Lominsa:
    • Wineport
    • Aleport
    • The Cieldalaes --- Seems to be mostly fishing villages, I just include it in this list cause of the region.

Gridania:
    • Quarrymill
    • Hyrtsmill

Ishgard:
    • Owl's Nest
    • Eagle's Nest
    • Ferndale --- The town Nidhogg eventually destroyed.

Just a few examples I mostly wanted to toss in Fern(e)dale.
    (3)
    Check out my Lore posts:
    An Eorzean Timeline: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/64377-An-Eorzean-Timeline-Reborn

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by NoloeTazier View Post
    [A]s Moose stated the Blue Flag with the White Stripe looks to be associated it with Limsa or at least the ships near Limsa
    Can anybody read the name under the ships? I'm chipping away at it now, but most of the "handwritten" Eorzean is quite difficult to get right. Even the six letters above EORZEA on the sigil are giving me grief (though, to be fair, they might not actually say anything considering the sixth letter is a backwards u).

All three ships are marked with the same five-letter word, which I'm pretty confident begins with a J.

EDIT:
    The longer I stare at this, the higher I assess the likelihood that any text smaller than The Cieldalaes is deliberate gibberish.
    (2)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 07-10-2013 at 11:59 AM.
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    EDIT:
    The longer I stare at this, the higher I assess the likelihood that any text smaller than The Cieldalaes is deliberate gibberish.
    The same thing happens in the End of an Era video ;-; all the Eorzean on Louisoix's containment spell / redalamudding is simply ABCDEF...XYZ in Eorzean obviously. Though there are deity names and titles when their symbols appear (I only ever got through 'Thaliak, the Scholar' before giving up realizing there was little to be gleaned from translating)
    (1)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast