Player
    Character
    Vesperlyn Hayle
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    I doubt they're the same serpent; in the end, Sthalmann claimed that it was "driven back into the deep" by throwing away the tablet (though, I suspect some, if not all, of that assessment was part of his ruse, considering Baderon credited the pirates for driving it back). It's always worth asking what's related, though; mostly because you want falsification.

Remember, the sea serpent has a lot in common with Leviathan (down to the red tint on the edges of their fins), and yet had similar physiology to Midgardsormr (discounting skin texture and skull shape). As far as we know, the three are completely unrelated (though there may be between the nameless Sea Serpent and Midgardsormr, being that this is based on Greece, Greek dragons were enormous serpents, and Midgardsormr is a confirmed Dragon King).

Whatever the case, I do find these serpent skeletons pretty interesting.
    You know... I'm willing to bet that the Sea Serpent is Jörmungandr. In the end, Jörmungandr is another version of the Midgardsormr, but it's a sea serpent first and foremost. Being a Sea Serpent makes more sense for Jörmungandr than a Glacier Wyrm. He's also surrounding (and terrorizing) a city like in myth. I remember when I started XIV back in the original alpha... I quickly decided the Serpent wasn't Leviathan because the mouth just didn't match Leviathan. It's too barracuda like. Anyway... According to Myth, Jörmungandr was supposed to have grown so large in encircled the earth... and the Serpent is presumably larger than Leviathan. I would make the assumption Leviathan isn't much bigger than the average primal, and he could probably fit on the old boat. The Serpent is clearly larger than the boat... kinda like a certain serpent said to encircle the world, right?

Those are my predictions, anyway.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Akujin Aetheoryn
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Heeeey..I have an idea. Random, derailing, sorry. But still!

Could someone who is possibly a little more photo-editing inclined than myself take the new maps and superimpose them over the old map/region areas, so we can infact see if things are still in the same geographical areas, if things were shifted massively one way or another, or if they just completely lifted and resat some locations to somewhere else they would otherwise prefer? Just by roaming the areas and going by memory of the former maps things appear to be somewhat still in the general same directions. Just an idea anyways.

As for the serpent discussion - I saw that thing while exploring. Didn't realize what it was at first, I saw what appeared to be bone fins or something and dropped down, did a 180 and came face to face with this massive skull..sat back going..wtf. lol
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Akujin Aetheoryn
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusavari View Post
    You know... I'm willing to bet that the Sea Serpent is Jörmungandr. In the end, Jörmungandr is another version of the Midgardsormr, but it's a sea serpent first and foremost. Being a Sea Serpent makes more sense for Jörmungandr than a Glacier Wyrm. He's also surrounding (and terrorizing) a city like in myth. I remember when I started XIV back in the original alpha... I quickly decided the Serpent wasn't Leviathan because the mouth just didn't match Leviathan. It's too barracuda like. Anyway... According to Myth, Jörmungandr was supposed to have grown so large in encircled the earth... and the Serpent is presumably larger than Leviathan. I would make the assumption Leviathan isn't much bigger than the average primal, and he could probably fit on the old boat. The Serpent is clearly larger than the boat... kinda like a certain serpent said to encircle the world, right?

Those are my predictions, anyway.
    Honestly, I believe your theory could be valid. Primals are the 'gods' of the Beastmen but they arent really all that terrifyingly massive. Ifrit is fairly large, yes, but Garuda really isnt, Mog really wasnt either. I dont likely see Ramuh, Shiva or even Leviathan being enormous creatures. (the FATE event one's may be large in comparison to arena style battles, to compensate for mass players swarming one location). So these other serpants being Guardians and thus far larger than Primals is much more feasible and likely. Question is though, what would a Guardian be protecting under the ocean?

When the Great Flood happened to Eorzea back in the day, what brought it on?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Akujin View Post
    Could someone who is possibly a little more photo-editing inclined than myself take the new maps and superimpose them over the old map/region areas, so we can infact see if things are still in the same geographical areas, if things were shifted massively one way or another, or if they just completely lifted and resat some locations to somewhere else they would otherwise prefer?
    It started out as one and turned into the other, as far as I can tell. The concept art maps can be laid right over the previous maps and, even though they look very different, they can be lined up perfectly. The maps that were designed based on those concepts, not so much (again, as far as I can tell).
    (0)
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Yeah... I wouldn't want to try photoshopping the old and new in-game maps together.

The whole point of re-doing the scenery was because of the messed up copy-pasta landscape in the first place. I say let sleeping dogs lie.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Fiery Mojo
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Catapult View Post
    Geese, these guys are getting to know me...

TBH, I'm more worried about the gemstones than this. It's the little things that are the big giveaways.
    The mineralogy of the deeper Copperbell Mines is currently bugging the hell out of me.
    If the geology's bugging you, you're lucky you're not into flora. You'd throw the whole game out the window!
    (1)
    FFXIV player since 1.0 alpha, and still pretty terrible at this game. Thank the Twelve it's not actually hard like FFXI.

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjollnir View Post
    If the geology's bugging you, you're lucky you're not into flora. You'd throw the whole game out the window!
    True, dat. I'd go insane.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2