Player
    Character
    Miley Cyrus
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50

New BETA Lodestone Character Search Feature and Privacy

I am not sure how everyone feels about this feature and how its functionality has been revamped in the beta Lodestone.

My concern is if players will be able to configure their character information from not being searchable at all on the new Lodestone. While some might find it cool that you can track your friends' progress and compare things, I find it a little creepy that any random can easily look up a player's character, see that players' friends, what Free Company they belong to, and so forth.

****Sadly, I haven't had the chance to really explore how the new Beta Lodestone settings work and if it can make you and your character data completely unsearchable - so I could be wrong hehehe ****

If a player is constantly bothered by the same person(s), however, I think the Lodestone Character Search can become a tool for stalkers, trolls, creeps, and any further noun that describes such trashy online players. A recent example pertains to the OP and his/her group of friends in this thread:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...ertain-Someone

By using the Beta Character Search, such stalkers or trolls can easily track you and try to find some information in order to find ways to bother you directly or indirectly. If the settings are not yet in place, I think any player should be able to tweak their settings so that their character profile information can either be searchable or unsearchable. This would be similar to how Facebook allows users to have their profiles completely private and unsearchable.

What are your thoughts?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Deli Denkryst
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 70
    there are so many ppl, if someone wants to search me up, i think that's my honor tho. Besides there are lots 3rd party website providing exactly same thing. They can list any player's info, and you have to register to prevent it show to public... so...
    I personally like stalkers. I don't think showing my lv, gears, or achievement is that matter, but that's just again imo.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    C'rysta Zeith
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 80
    At the moment, the profiles of each character is viewable through lodestone, as they were in 1.0. That basically hasn't changed. It's like you said... With incidents like these, it would be great to make your profile only accessible to friends or completely private, like all social media applications like Facebook, LinkedIn, etc have implemented already.

Unfortunately, you can't completely stop these events from happening. If you add the person in question to the blacklist, (s)he can easily create a new character to harass with. The only hope you have is that SE will ban the account the person in question is playing with. At the moment, the supervision within the game was very limited, but that should be "solved" when they reinstate the "Special Task Force".

Even though this is a nasty situation to be in, but i hope that this will also serve as a reminder that people should not post everything online. Keep your personal things as private as possible. You never know what type of person you are talking too. Especially because we live in the age where social media has been integrated into anything.

Personally, i hope that this is "only an incident" and that people will be left alone when the harasser/stalker has been dealt with accordingly.
    (4)

Credit goes to Niqo'te for her fabulous art in the "Nique's happy fun time!"-thread and Nix/Capa for the Caitlyn drawing to the right. \(^_^ )/
    Give her your support by liking their art!

Player
    Character
    C'rysta Zeith
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Deli View Post
    there are so many ppl, if someone wants to search me up, i think that's my honor tho. Besides there are lots 3rd party website providing exactly same thing. They can list any player's info, and you have to register to prevent it show to public... so...
    I personally like stalkers. I don't think showing my lv, gears, or achievement is that matter, but that's just again imo.
    There is a big difference between people who are interested in your profile and blog and people who stalk/harass you. I would be thrilled as well if people read my profile to see which classes/jobs i've leveled, what i have achieved so far and like the stories i write. But, i wouldn't like it if random would keep bugging me in-game for items i can craft, if they send vulgar tells or write them on my blog.

It's their intention that makes the difference.

Even i look at players profiles and blogs to see what they have achieved/written so far. Because, maybe i can help a linkshell member level his/her class, supply them with low level gear (Level 1~10), or write a friendly/funny/constructive comment on their blog.

So, on one side, i agree with you that i don't mind that people can see my profile or read my logs. But on the other side, i want to protect both me and my friends from any forms of (verbal) harassment.
    (3)

Credit goes to Niqo'te for her fabulous art in the "Nique's happy fun time!"-thread and Nix/Capa for the Caitlyn drawing to the right. \(^_^ )/

Player
    Character
    Pwna Graphic
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 60
    I love it. I look forward to it during release. It made it easier for me to compare my stats to others and gear, etc. Really cool.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Rina Inverse
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 51
    am I wright by saying that those information actually belong to SE and not you?

Player
    Character
    C'rysta Zeith
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by rina_inverse View Post
    am I wright by saying that those information actually belong to SE and not you?
    Technically, yes. SE shared your in-game character information through the Lodestone Community service. However, that is besides the point. The point with the OP was the fact that this particular and publicly available character information can be accessed by anyone and thus can be used for undesirable purposes, like stalking and harassing.

However, the information itself does not contribute to the fact that people are being stalked. Its the means to reply blog posts of the designated player, as well as anyone listed in their Friends-, Linkshell- and Free Company List. What the OP suggested is to make sections of the profile and the blog private so that only authorized people (friends and administrators) can access this particular info. However, this is only part of the problem.

The things you have in control is the information you post on the blogs, the biography of your profile and what you post on the forums. It's these sections where the player has to be most careful with. Refrain from posting personal information, like your location, contact details or anything that can be linked to you as a person and you should be ok.

Other then that, you are basically in the hands of SE and it's up to SE what to do with this bit of information (up to a certain degree, since the privacy of the player is still an item the company has to ensure/maintain).
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Miley Cyrus
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldora View Post
    Technically, yes. SE shared your in-game character information through the Lodestone Community service. However, that is besides the point. The point with the OP was the fact that this particular and publicly available character information can be accessed by anyone and thus can be used for undesirable purposes, like stalking and harassing.

However, the information itself does not contribute to the fact that people are being stalked. Its the means to reply blog posts of the designated player, as well as anyone listed in their Friends-, Linkshell- and Free Company List. What the OP suggested is to make sections of the profile and the blog private so that only authorized people (friends and administrators) can access this particular info. However, this is only part of the problem.

The things you have in control is the information you post on the blogs, the biography of your profile and what you post on the forums. It's these sections where the player has to be most careful with. Refrain from posting personal information, like your location, contact details or anything that can be linked to you as a person and you should be ok.

Other then that, you are basically in the hands of SE and it's up to SE what to do with this bit of information (up to a certain degree, since the privacy of the player is still an item the company has to ensure/maintain).
    What Aldora has said is basically what I my views are.

It's true that SE owns such information. However, I believe all players should be able to control any information about their character(s) and profiles. This meaning we can restrict what we want to share publicly via Lodestone. I personally prefer to only give such information to my actual group of friends - not randoms.

To me, this seems like a GPS device for creepers and stalkers especially since the feature allows you to track a particular player. Kind of eerie (just saying haha).
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Vilhem Dijkstra
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    As long as no rl personal information (city of residence, rl name, phone numbers etc) is being shared on the blog parts, I see no reason to worry. Be responsible with your information. A stalker/creeper isn't going to be able to do much with in-game profiles. What are they gonna do, really? Find out what linkshell you're in? They can already see that for themselves ingame.
    (3)
    Meow

Player
    Character
    Cesil Rapture
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    I don't think they plan on letting us hide our characters or anything ><

Just gotta do what we've always had to do...blacklist/block/ignore the dumbs!
    (0)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast