Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Notorious Monster
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 50

Yoshi-p says: "Button pressing is stressful." ....

EDIT: So now we've seen game play of fishing. Its a dumbed down AFK version. Sit in spot, cast, collect fish. No actions at all to fish and fishies are worthless. :\ Would like a DEV response-- Will there be possibilities for tweaks in the future or is this system pretty much it?
    I'm just disheartened by a system that could have been so great and interactive has be reduced to something without depth and purpose.

According to Yoshi-P’s new view on Fishing… pressing buttons is stressful.
    GE: It’s been a while since we’ve heard anything about fishing. Can you tell us how it’s going to work and when we will be able to try it?

Yoshida: Fishing will be available starting in phase four of the beta test. Players can check it out then. We mentioned before in a Producer’s Letter live, but the concept that we have for fishing in FFXIV is that we didn’t want to make it action based. We didn’t want actions like a battle class has, or to be pressing buttons at certain times like it was originally. Rather, we want to have players just go to a lake or river or ocean, and have players, depending on what type of water it is and maybe what time of day it is, choose which rod you are going to use, and maybe what bait or lure you are going to use. The concept is that fishing is supposed to be a conversation with nature. We wanted the fishing in fourteen to be representative of that.

We really wanted it to be something you can do in the free time that you have. For example, you go into the duty finder and while waiting in the queue, you can change to fisher and fish a little bit, and when your number comes up, change back and go. Or if you are waiting on a friend to log in. To be able to do something in that downtime that’s fun, but relaxing.

GE: Are there going to be any types of actions you need to do while fishing? We have seen comments that this could be easy for RMTs to bot if there are no actions to take.
    Yoshida: Even now, RMT can create bots to get around the timing of actions. What we don’t want is to have fishing become stressful. It is supposed to be a relaxing thing. Pressing extra buttons for actions is going to create that stress. We’re going to make sure that the stuff you get from fishing is not stuff that is going to be lucrative for RMT. The system needs to be relaxing.

What we want is for fishing to be more about what you’ve done. So maybe achievements for catching certain sizes of fish? Or having a log that keeps track of your own collection of what you’ve caught before, or how big a fish you’ve caught before, or whether you have fished in all fishing spots? Having things that are connected to you.

This is not to say we’re not thinking of other things. For example, maybe you fish up a treasure map, and that map leads to a new quest- we are planning things like that.

" What we don’t want is to have fishing become stressful. It is supposed to be a relaxing thing. Pressing extra buttons for actions is going to create that stress. "
    I’m honestly having a hard time grasping what is being done with fisher. So basically 0 interactions between the player and fishing because of “stress”. Are you kidding me? Great now all of us who have level 50 fisher basically have a level 50 AFK class to play.
    No one else is totally appalled by this? Taking the class and completely devaluing it, making it useless after countless hours of hard work and commitment into something ?

Sure the fishing community was small, so I don’t think many people will care but it seems like the direction for anything not BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE PVPVPVPVP is totally being overlooked by the new dev team. :\ I understand that battle is the most important aspect of this game but the way crafting and gathering had an importance in 1.0 I think is why so many of us hung around.

I understand its fishing and it seems like only a small percentage of players cares but I'd like to see the whole communities stance on this. Even if you don't fish are you seriously okay with having something like this? Devaluing a gathering class to the point of hey let me go AFK, run to the store and come back = 50 fish?

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by LlenCoram View Post
    I don't even know what to say anymore. Yoshi seems to think _everything_ is stressful. Pressing a button a few times is stressful. Having to wait a fraction of a microsecond for your character to initiate movement (inertia animations) is stressful. Not being able to chat is stressful.

I could chat just fine before while fishing. It was dead easy. I also have a really hard time seeing his point. When I was fishing in 1.0? It's because I wanted to fish. It's not because there was nothing to do or that I was waiting for something to happen. Something was happening. I was fishing. The bit about "treasure maps" doesn't do anything for me either, because it's already been said that those treasure maps will lead to a location where you'll get to... fight. As in change class to a combat class and stop what you were doing before. I can assure you if that's the case every treasure map I find will be tossed. If I wanted to fight, I'd go fight. If I want to fish, then I want to continue fishing.

I'll wait until phase 4 so that we can be ignored even more than we already are, because let's not lie to ourselves and expect them to actually start paying attention to us, but I really have no hopes at all for the new fishing. I can't wait to leave feedback about it on the open beta forums so that it can be completely drowned out and ignored.

Welcome to Yoshi's FFXIV! Bring your combat classes or prepare to get shafted! If you don't like fighting, what's wrong with you? Why are you even here?

I had so much trust in him too. I can see now that he's just another one of those gamers who not only do not but cannot understand the mentality of people who don't like combat.

EDIT: I'd like all the time I spent on my luminary rod back please. I don't care how big a fish I just caught is, so if they won't be worth anything and I can't give them to friends for alchemy or culinarian dishes, then I just can't be bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatestorm View Post
    OP I agree with you on this. There are lots of threads on Fisher (which have been ignored by the dev team and the majority of the playerbase till now... if the general forum populace hadn't been ignoring us, we who have been complaining would have been trolled harder and the SE Defense Force Volunteer Brigade would have come over in greater numbers).

Most fishers you find in these threads are good people, affable, patient; but now feel like we've been getting the runaround for far too long now. It's inconceivable that any battle class, for example, would not have been ready by Beta 3. The information about Fisher that Yoshida shared in this interview, is the same exact information that he shared in the English Live Letter, is the same exact information that he shared in a Letter From the Producer waaaaay back in the day.

There is no new info, and despite our hope that Yoshi and the dev team have it all well in hand, it all LOOKS very much like fishing is just the bottom of the barrel (no pun intended), and they really just can't be bothered to look at fisher until literally every other aspect of the game is finished.

Fisher isn't the favorite class of most people, and that's fine, but there are people that like it. And it's a little galling to see the game's executive producer tell gaming websites that your gathering class is going to lose an active play element, and is going to lose any money-making abilities (at least any money-making abilities "that RMT can exploit", whatever that means... RMT can exploit ANY money-making activity...). We find it a little galling that literally EVERY class from 1.0, AND every job, has gotten a COMPLETE redesign for ARR, *EXCEPT* Fisher. Fisher is the one that is going to have to wait. We wonder what the point of 'fishing for personal achievements' is, since EVERY class has their OWN class achievements. We wonder how 'a personal fishing log' is in any way special, since EVERY single class has their OWN battle/crafting/gathering log.

It's just a frustrating situation is all. No "omg this game gonna fail" or anything like that, it's just a bit frustrating and the people that did put the time (lots and lots of time) into leveling the job don't want to see it made useless.
    (44)
    Last edited by Huh; 08-09-2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: New news.

Player
    Seriously you crafters and gatherers were the backbone of 1.0 imo..
    I hated crafting..lol.. If it wasn't for you guys, I would of never had my materia gear.
    I'm sure there is more to it than this though.. I hope so anyway.
    Fishing was like the only job I actually played in 11...lol..
    Maybe he's just trying to make it more fun, less grind.
    Might work great.. Hoping for the best..
    (17)

Player
    Character
    J'hyan Tia
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Is fishing implemented yet? Have you tried what they've done with it in order to form an actual comparative opinion beyond speculation?

I understand change is a difficult thing to come to terms with, especially when something one really enjoys is put under a microscope and then altered, but maybe we can keep the jury out until we've actually seen what Yoshi & Co. have done with fishing before we storm the castle. I mean, they've been making so many other positive changes to the game so far, maybe we can afford them the benefit of a little doubt. What do you say?
    (24)

Player
    Character
    Fiery Mojo
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsy View Post
    Is fishing implemented yet? Have you tried what they've done with it in order to form an actual comparative opinion beyond speculation?
    QFT.

Come back at B4 with your complaints and likely I'll support you. Right now, it's pure speculation based on a couple of Q&A. Until we get a blow-by-blow account of the fishing process and full descriptions of any other interactions Fisher will have with the game, being concerned or upset about it is ridiculous.

I can understand frustration in the wait to see how it works, but to talk about 'devaluing' and an 'AFK class' is just being overtly negative about something we don't know enough about to make that judgement.
    (10)
    FFXIV player since 1.0 alpha, and still pretty terrible at this game. Thank the Twelve it's not actually hard like FFXI.

Player
    Character
    Notorious Monster
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsy View Post

I understand change is a difficult thing to come to terms with, especially when something one really enjoys is put under a microscope and then altered, but maybe we can keep the jury out until we've actually seen what Yoshi & Co. have done with fishing before we storm the castle. I mean, they've been making so many other positive changes to the game so far, maybe we can afford them the benefit of a little doubt. What do you say?
    Sure I haven't played it but think about what he's saying. Fishing has basically no more market value. Fish will be obtainable by "chatting". His general attitude and insights already seem like something not all engaging and I'm hoping expressing concern now will allow change before its too late. D:
    (10)

Player
    Character
    Chie Kaisuri
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    I actually hope fishing becomes mindless. People would say "It's so boring!" Well, I'd be a lot more productive in fishing if I could just load up the game, fish with the press of a button, and watch Youtube or a movie. That way I'm not bored out of my mind doing a fishing minigame once every 10 seconds for the span of a few hours.

Fishing minigames and one-button fishing is basically the difference of 30 minute fishing and 2hr fishing.
    (10)

Player
    Character
    Notorious Monster
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjollnir View Post
    QFT.

Come back at B4 with your complaints and likely I'll support you. Right now, it's pure speculation based on a couple of Q&A. Until we get a blow-by-blow account of the fishing process and full descriptions of any other interactions Fisher will have with the game, being concerned or upset about it is ridiculous.

I can understand frustration in the wait to see how it works, but to talk about 'devaluing' and an 'AFK class' is just being overtly negative about something we don't know enough about to make that judgement.
    But think about why that is. WHY we don't have that information yet... because fishing obviously has been put in the back burner, it HAS been deduced to a mere AFK class. One thing I've learned browsing these forums daily is that a lack of response usually means bad news: don't bring this to light.
    (3)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagato View Post
    I actually hope fishing becomes mindless. People would say "It's so boring!" Well, I'd be a lot more productive in fishing if I could just load up the game, fish with the press of a button, and watch Youtube or a movie. That way I'm not bored out of my mind doing a fishing minigame once every 10 seconds for the span of a few hours.

Fishing minigames and one-button fishing is basically the difference of 30 minute fishing and 2hr fishing.
    No way it will end up like that.
    It would be like them making a fishing bot that was legit.
    You will definitely have to do something.

We really need to wait and see.
    The speculation is kind of pointless.. XD
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Notorious Monster
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Solace View Post
    No way it will end up like that.
    It would be like them making a fishing bot that was legit.
    You will definitely have to do something.

We really need to wait and see.
    The speculation is kind of pointless.. XD
    Or to battle RMT you make so anyone can do the RMT practices (allowing anyone to just cast and catch all day) rendering RMT bots useless. Just a thought. :\
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Fiery Mojo
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Huh View Post
    But think about why that is. WHY we don't have that information yet... because fishing obviously has been put in the back burner, it HAS been deduced to a mere AFK class. One thing I've learned browsing these forums daily is that a lack of response usually means bad news: don't bring this to light.
    I don't think so. If they didn't care about fishing at all, it would be most simple and effective to have it work in exactly the same fashion as botany and mining. The fact that it's been re-programmed and contains new features and content that has been hinted at, but not outright described, is definitely a good thing. If you look at other things that are kept quiet on the development front, they turn out to be major awesome (see: Armoury Chest, Scholar, multi-jobs, etc.).

A lack of response means there's nothing else to say. We've been told it will be ready for B4 (which means it's most likely been finished already) and to experience it first-hand. Patience is all. I'm looking forward to it.
    (6)
    FFXIV player since 1.0 alpha, and still pretty terrible at this game. Thank the Twelve it's not actually hard like FFXI.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast