Player
    Character
    Zarik Sylvora
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80

The Role-Play Coalition and the RP Server

Hey all! This is a general update for all who are interested in RP community related matters! We want to ensure everyone is up to speed on things so they can make whatever decisions they feel they need to make regarding server selection, as we know some like to be surrounded by RPers whereas others may not.

Regarding Balmung

Over three years ago, the RPC held a public poll in which Besaid was named the unofficial RP server. Following the game's rocky launch, Besaid was eventually merged into a new server: Balmung. Since then, we have remained supportive of Balmung as the unofficial RP server. We have held countless RP events, storylines, and have had numerous RP interactions with others here. Many have also forged friendships with players who do not roleplay. The RPC remains dedicated to its support of Balmung and invites all new RPers to join us. SquareEnix has confirmed that non-Legacy members can join Legacy servers and we vow to be as helpful and welcoming as humanly possible to the new blood. Balmung has proven to be a stable breeding ground for RP and we look forward to the many years ahead of RP there.

Regarding a Non-Legacy RP Server

We recognize that there are some who simply do not want to join a Legacy server for their own reasons. While it pains many of us that we may not get to RP or interact personally with these individuals, we will continue to support them in their wishes if interest in this remains. As such, should we still hear nothing from SquareEnix by July 1st, we will hold a public poll on the RPC to allow non-Legacy RPers to select a secondary RP server. We will, however, continue to reiterate that our primary level of support will be geared toward Balmung. Should the public poll reveal a severe lack of interest in the concept of a non-legacy RP server (as in, less than maybe 20 or so total valid votes), we may have to reconsider our support.

For more details on this poll, see the thread on the RPC: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=2227

We all look forward to creating many new memories within the RP community that will withstand the test of time, much like the memories many created in 1.0.

If you want, check out our tribute video from last year! Note that it's a bit out of date and the RP shells at the end may have changed their status (to or from inactive): http://www.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/tribute/RPC_Tribute.wmv
    (7)

Player
    One way or another, I hope you guys end up with a great RP server.
    GL.
    (1)
    Last edited by Solace; 06-17-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Player
    Character
    Abriael Rosen
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Solace View Post
    If we need to separate legacy from non legacy, then the legacy campaign has more than failed imo..
    The legacy campaign has very little to do with it, as the "legacy" servers are open to everyone, and in this case "legacy" just means the old servers that will include both legacy and non legacy characters from 1.0
    (3)
    Abriael Rosen - Paladin of Balmung

Character
    Skye Windbinder
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 67
    Quote Originally Posted by Solace View Post
    If we need to separate legacy from non legacy, then the legacy campaign has more than failed imo..
    It has created an eliteist border.
    Not cool..
    People need to stop being so arrogant and just try to have fun..
    Legacy means nothing..
    Sorry but it doesn't.
    It ONLY means you paid to play the game for a bit.
    it has no bearing on your skill or your personality.

Don't hate legacy or non legacy members.
    Hate bad people. They deseve it.
    Segregating legacy from non legacy?
    Wow, pretty lame if you ask me..
    I hope everyone who wants to be separated can be separated though.
    I don't want to play with any of them.
    It's those kind of eliteist, pompous, morons who ruin the fun in everything.

One way or another, I hope you guys end up with a great RP server.
    GL.

lol On a more serious note, we all need to relax. I mean, if legacy servers are separated from non-legacy servers, SE probably has some technical reasons for making it that way. Of course, I sincerely hope it's not that way. After all, some of the people in my LS are not legacy. But if it is, I'd more count it as a "huge disappointment" than a failure. I'd only count it as a failure if it was something within SE's control.
    (3)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Abriael View Post
    The legacy campaign has very little to do with it, as the "legacy" servers are open to everyone, and in this case "legacy" just means the old servers that will include both legacy and non legacy characters from 1.0
    I misunderstood why people wanted to be separated. I totally edited my post.
    I get it.. Some people don't want to be with people who are like end game status already.
    I think they are hurting themselves really if so..

Those people would be missing out on all the help the veterans could give them.
    People always need help.
    To each their own I suppose.

I just hope it's not a "I'm cooler than you" thing.
    (0)
    Last edited by Solace; 06-17-2013 at 11:56 PM.

Player
    Character
    Zarik Sylvora
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    New players can join legacy servers. Old players, however, supposedly can not transfer to non-legacy servers (unless they make a completely new character there). There are new players who fear the idea of joining an already established server (in terms of economy, social aspects, etc) and prefer to start on a new server from the ground up.

After a month, the whole issue will be moot regardless. But there are those who are adamant about staying away from legacy servers regardless, so it's best to just support them rather than stir up drama over it.
    (1)

Character
    Skye Windbinder
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 67
    So, it's a matter of choice! Well, then there's no problem.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Dsherman Siren
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    What is interesting to me in this is that carry-over data from V1.0 is going to be available to anyone that had created a character in V1.0 (and never deleted it) whether it has the SE defined Legacy status or not.

Calling these worlds made for the carry-over data "Legacy" worlds is confusing because it applies to all the carry-over data from V1.0, not just the character data on accounts that have the SE defined Legacy status. This makes for two different definitions of the word "Legacy".

If you created a character in V1.0 and didn't delete it (even if you only played it for an hour back on September 22, 2010 and then never played it again), the character will be carried over to these servers in spite of the fact you never paid even a penny in subscription fees that could have gone toward qualifying for the SE Defined Legacy status.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Fluffy Pancake
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    @OP; nice idea for a post! Gonna give you a bump so more RPers can find this easily

Good luck!
    (0)

Act in such a way that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of another, always at the same time as an end and never simply as a means

Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsherman View Post
    What is interesting to me in this is that carry-over data from V1.0 is going to be available to anyone that had created a character in V1.0 (and never deleted it) whether it has the SE defined Legacy status or not.

Calling these worlds made for the carry-over data "Legacy" worlds is confusing because it applies to all the carry-over data from V1.0, not just the character data on accounts that have the SE defined Legacy status. This makes for two different definitions of the word "Legacy".

If you created a character in V1.0 and didn't delete it (even if you only played it for an hour back on September 22, 2010 and then never played it again), the character will be carried over to these servers in spite of the fact you never paid even a penny in subscription fees that could have gone toward qualifying for the SE Defined Legacy status.
    I believe you'll find that, at least in official SE correspondence, there is probably a difference in capitalization between them, i.e. legacy vs. Legacy.

-legacy (lowercase) is just the normal English word, as one might describe old computer equipment as "legacy software/hardware"

-Legacy (proper noun, capitalized) refers to the Legacy campaign.

Now, I'm too lazy to bother scouring all the dev posts I can find to try and confirm this idea, but it wouldn't surprise me.
    (0)
    Check out my Eorzean fonts! - Twitter: @MyrandaFFXIV
    http://dachoutom.no-ip.org/ffxiv/fonts.html
    The Astronomical Society of Eorzea!
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/142965-The-Astronomical-Society-of-Eorzea

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast