Player
    Character
    Zemus Asara
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50

Lore of Lalafell

I can't seem to find any real substantial lore on the lalafell race beyond whats on the official site, which isn't really much.
    Besides moving to Eorzea and building Uldah. What other history do the dunesfolk have.
    They like money, cool who doesn't. Are there any significantly influential "adventurer" types from history. Do they prefer certain jobs. I see lalafells as mages mostly so this could be fairly obvious.
    I would just like more history of the race after coming to Eorzea. I probably missed a lot in 1.0 as I didn't play much after quests were added, time constraints/other games.
    To summarize. They built Uldah, love money, are often mages, lived on the backs of large beasts of burden.
    There is more right?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    So you wish to hear the story of our people, do you!?

Dunesfolk
    A feisty little bunch, with a long history of life in the desert. From an early age, they are made to drink a traditional herbal concoction to raise their resilience to poison, as nearly all the plants and animals in their native lands are venomous. There is what appears to be a thin layer covering the pupil.That too is an evolutionary response to the environment─their bodies' way of protecting the eye from the harsh rays of the sun and errant grains of sand. Unfortunately, it limits detailed ocular research to Dunesfolk cadavers.

Perhaps the most unique characteristic of the Dunesfolk is their native dwellings―structures affixed to the backs of large beasts of burden. It is in this way that they are able to traverse the vast desert expanses of the islands which they call home. The luminous eyes of the Dunesfolk are a result of a glossy, protective layer which covers the pupil, an evolutionary response to the region's glaring sunlight. Many individuals wear a small, traditional gemstone on their forehead, a symbol of their zodiacal sign. They are adamant about scholasticism, placing the advancement of knowledge before all else. Other races tend to perceive male Dunesfolk as introverts who care more for books than the goings-on of the realm, whereas they tend to perceive females as gentle souls with a love for fortune-telling and divination.

In the area of Halatali in Thanalan, there are many ancient lalafellin ruins, some of which are considered sacred and pilgrimage to the caves is common for Dunesfolk.

Plainsfolk
    The Plainsfolk are the descendants of the Lalafell tribes who lived on the massive expanses of grasslands covering a stretch of islands far to the south of Limsa Lominsa, across the Sea of Merlthor. While their bodies are small, their ears are markedly large and developed─a trait thought to have been once necessary to locate food, as well as detect enemies in the wide expanse of the steppe.

The flat landscapes of the Plainsfolk's home islands are dotted with the clan's traditional thatched huts, beneath which lie intricate networks of underground passageways. Their distinct hair coloration―a myriad of earthy and grassy tones―helps them to blend in well with their environment, acting as an effective camouflage against would-be attackers. The long, pointy ears of the Plainsfolk are extremely sensitive, said to be able to detect the faintest scampering of the prairie's various fauna. They are a clever and opportunistic people, and crafty with their words. These traits have helped the Plainsfolk excel in the arena of business. The generally accepted view of Plainsfolk males is that they are a cheerful lot, with a weakness for festivals and celebrations, whereas females are seen as a vibrant lot with a penchant for excessive conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Neymumu
    [Ul'dah] is ours by rights. There ought be a tax, if you ask me. Aye, all non-Lalafells should pay for the privilege of living here─or at least for being so godsdamned tall!
    It is also very likely that, much like Ul'dah, its sister city of Sil'dih was also Lalafellin by right. Little is known about the city... however one of its last rulers was named,Lalawefu Sil Tatawefu, the King of Springs, and this is a very lalafellin name.

Speaking of names, you should check out the stickies in this forum for interesting tidbits and naming conventions, if you care enough about lore to name yourself accordingly.

Aaaand I think that's all I know. I think.

BONUS:
    A reference to a long-running FFXI joke that tarutaru sacrifices raise drop rates.
    I thought the tribes sought crystals to give to their primals. What could we possibly offer them that they don't already have? Short of a Lalafell sacrifice, of course! Ahaha...haha...ha... Th-That was a jest. A jest, I say!
    (10)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 06-02-2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Grammar Legatus
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Zemus Asara
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    So you wish to hear the story of our people, do you!? I know the basics from the website by heart, but not much else... I can do a little digging of you'd like, and edit this post as I go, provided that other people don't beat me to the good info. ^^

Dunesfolk
    A feisty little bunch, with a long history of life in the desert. From an early age, they are made to drink a traditional herbal concoction to raise their resilience to poison, as nearly all the plants and animals in their native lands are venomous. There is what appears to be a thin layer covering the pupil.That too is an evolutionary response to the environment─their bodies' way of protecting the eye from the harsh rays of the sun and errant grains of sand. Unfortunately, it limits detailed ocular research to Dunesfolk cadavers.

Plainsfolk
    The Plainsfolk are the descendants of the Lalafell tribes who lived on the massive expanses of grasslands covering a stretch of islands far to the south of Limsa Lominsa, across the Sea of Merlthor. While their bodies are small, their ears are markedly large and developed─a trait thought to have been once necessary to locate food, as well as detect enemies in the wide expanse of the steppe.
    Woot. I appreciate it. I was able to dig up little via google. It has been failing me lately.
    I'll keep checking back. FF communities have a great reverence for lore.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Mementus Veventus
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    So you wish to hear the story of our people, do you!? I know the basics from the website by heart, but not much else... I can do a little digging of you'd like, and edit this post as I go, provided that other people don't beat me to the good info. ^^
    I'd be interested in anything you manage to dig up also =) I've been thinking about writing something Lalafell specific for awhile.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by azethoth View Post
    I'll keep checking back. FF communities have a great reverence for lore.
    Don't I know it! A shame that a lot of it fell through the cracks in FFXI, but such is the case for massive, temporary games - hence why I try to keep FFXIV's in order... that and it gives me something to relax and focus on while putting real-life madness on the back burner for a few, lol.

Aside from what's on the main site, that's about all I have in my records. Look for more in A Realm Reborn, though... we'll be digging up Sil'dih!
    (0)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 06-02-2013 at 07:30 AM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Zemus Asara
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    So you wish to hear the story of our people, do you!?

It is also very likely that, much like Ul'dah, it's sister city of Sil'dih was also Lalafellin by right. Little is known about the city... however one of its last rulers was named,Lalawefu Sil Tatawefu, the King of Springs, and this is a very lalafellin name.

Speaking of names, you should check out the stickies in this forum for interesting tidbits and naming conventions, if you care enough about lore to name yourself accordingly.

Aaaand I think that's all I know. I think.

BONUS:
    A reference to a long-running FFXI joke that tarutaru sacrifices raise drop rates.
    I was looking at the conventions. For dunesfolk names its hard to find one that does not sound silly. I have a few Ideas. Sounds silly but I am afraid to post them openly. Would not object to a private exchange though, name thieves and all.
    I appreciate the digging if you find anything else let me know.
    The part about the ruins sounds exciting though. I love me some ruins
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Where do Lalafell come from?

Ok, ok, I jest.

In either case, the Lalafell appear to be originally island dwellers, with the environment of the island having an impact on their evolutionary past. I would theorize that, before the great flood of the 6th Umbral Era, the Lalafellian population were united and it is only since then that they have branched. This is much like how the Miqo'te didn't become Keepers and Seekers until well after their arrival during the 5th Umbral and the elezen did not differentiate between Wildwood and Duskwight until the foundation of Gridania.

Desert condition islands > Dunesfolk.
    Fertile Islands > Plainsfolk.

The fact that they are described as islands may also have an impact on their physical size. Scientists (IRL) have been debating the reason for the exceptionally small stature of the Homo Floresiensis, with the popular theory being an evolutionary reaction to the small volumes of food and resources available on their island environment.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_f...s#Small_bodies

Who knows? The Lalafell could have had a common ancestor with the Hyur.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Fiery Mojo
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Catapult View Post
    Who knows? The Lalafell could have had a common ancestor with the Hyur.
    Absolute heresy! Keep dreaming.
    (1)
    FFXIV player since 1.0 alpha, and still pretty terrible at this game. Thank the Twelve it's not actually hard like FFXI.

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjollnir View Post
    Absolute heresy! Keep dreaming.
    Have some Fayth.
    (0)

Character
    Hiir Noivl
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Wow you wish Catapult! XD

When I think of the native habitat of the Dunesfolk I think of Socotra Island, Yemen.

(5)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast