Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90

Sharlayan: Lore to Map Incongruity?

In the game, Sharlayan is referred to (more than once, in more than one language) as an island city-state within a larger archipelago. However, on the map of Eorzea, it's quite clearly on the main land mass, is it not?

No big lore bombs here, just... what gives?
    Did I miss something obvious?

For the sake of completeness, an example:

The city of Sharlayan lies on an island in an archipelago far to the north. It was once a great seat of learning, home to countless scholars versed in the ways of magic.

(1)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 05-31-2013 at 08:00 AM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Y'ahte Tia
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    If I didn't misread the map...
    Isn't it possible for it to be a river island?
    River islands can be sufficiently large to house a city in certain cases, though the thought of a river archipelago is certainly stretching.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Duuude Bismarck
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    Based on the Current Earth events, an ancient sprawling city which existed on a series of islands in the middle of a large bay in Spain was recently discovered using ultrasonic scans.

Geological history suggests that a large tidal wave flooded the bay, and pulled inland soil back over the city, creating sprawling mudlands over where the archipelago used to be, the bay effectively ceasing to exist.

Even if the map isn't perfectly specific/to scale on the city's design, it is still viable to be a series of islands on a small inland sea or lake.

Remember the inaccessable "dragon themed" island in northwest Coerthas?
    (2)
    Last edited by Duuude007; 05-31-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Player
    Character
    Noloe Tazier
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    If Sharlayan is indeed a destroyed city now. And the map we currently have is over 70 years old (1506 6A.E.) then it's quite possible that the destruction resulted with part of the land mass being submerged and forming an archipelago. If Sharlayan was on an island in a lake/the sea you'd think Roddard Ironheart would have drawn so.
    (0)
    Check out my Lore posts:
    An Eorzean Timeline: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/64377-An-Eorzean-Timeline-Reborn

Player
    Character
    Deltara Delettre
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 51
    I think it might be on an archipelago far to the north.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Duuude007 View Post
    Geological history suggests that a large tidal wave flooded the bay, and pulled inland soil back over the city, creating sprawling mudlands over where the archipelago used to be, the bay effectively ceasing to exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoloeTazier View Post
    If Sharlayan is indeed a destroyed city now. And the map we currently have is over 70 years old (1506 6A.E.) then it's quite possible that the destruction resulted with part of the land mass being submerged and forming an archipelago. If Sharlayan was on an island in a lake/the sea you'd think Roddard Ironheart would have drawn so.
    Good observations, but this fate is also elaborated on: Sharlayan was not destroyed, but abandoned when the Empire took Ala Mhigo. Not that many chose to remain in Eorzea. It seems to be a rather recent development.

Both are still possible; I'm just quite confused, lol.
    (0)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 05-31-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    IIRC, Limsa is also described as being built on a collection of islands that dot the coastline. Sounds a bit like an archipelago.

Could Sharlayan be set up in a similar way?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Noloe Tazier
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Catapult View Post
    IIRC, Limsa is also described as being built on a collection of islands that dot the coastline. Sounds a bit like an archipelago.

Could Sharlayan be set up in a similar way?
    Here's the archipelago that Limsa Lominsa is on.

But if you look at the world map Limsa is clearly off the island and Sharlayan looks INLAND. But if you look carefully on the world map you can see 2 rivers around Sharlayan. The city has round walls all around it and small buildings protected on the inside. No big recognizable buildings like Ishgard, Ul'dah, etc.

Edit: click view image then you can zoom in on both maps.
    (0)
    Check out my Lore posts:
    An Eorzean Timeline: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/64377-An-Eorzean-Timeline-Reborn

Player
    Character
    Aeka Masaki
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    The map icon for Sharlayan looks like the bog standard icon for places we haven't been to (I know Ishgard's looks different, but we could actually see Ishgard.)
    I call lazy Dev team. Fern?
    (0)
    Last edited by radhaz; 05-31-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Player
    Character
    Fiery Mojo
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Perhaps the Sharlayan city icon (which is a copy/paste of Ala Mhigo) and placing on the World Map are to mark the city-state's region of influence rather than a direct representation of the place itself and Sharlayan proper is on the small islands to the North or South, or under that cloud...
    (0)
    FFXIV player since 1.0 alpha, and still pretty terrible at this game. Thank the Twelve it's not actually hard like FFXI.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast