Player
    Character
    Aitheria Crimson
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by viion View Post
    I don't mind if they change it or leave it, but I welcome gear swapping and really enjoyed it in XI. I like'd having all kinds of different situation gear.
    XI is also the only other mmo you have played isnt it >.>/

Rosy retrospection refers to the finding that subjects later rate past events more positively than they had actually rated them when the event occurred, reminiscent of the Latin phrase memoria praeteritorum bonorum ("The past is always recalled to be good").

The effect appears to be stronger with moderately pleasant events and is usually explained as a result of minor annoyances and dislikes "fading" from memory dramatically faster than positive situations.
    (5)

"Thy life is a river to bear rapture and sorrow
    To listen to suffer to entrust until tomorrow
    In one fleeting moment, from the land doth life flow
    Yet in one fleeting moment for the new leaf doth grow"

Player
    Character
    Luca Abbot
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvinire View Post
    While you can change equipment during battle, the development team confirmed that the battle system wasn't designed to offer that as an advantage. The purpose of the Armoury Chest and gear sets are simply to facilitate changing gear and additional inventory for gear and were not created to be used as a strategy during battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjollnir View Post
    ? I'm not sure I'm following. Just because the battle system wasn't designed with the strategy of changing equipment in mind, doesn't mean that people won't do it in order to maximise their efficiency. In fact, if the battle system hasn't taken this functionality into account, then surely there will be some strong imbalances in certain battles.

With the experience of FFXI, we can see that per-action gear-swapping became the most effective way of play. One thing I liked about XIV was that you couldn't do this; I think because it meant there was no impetus to have a third-party app loaded up (against the ToS^^) and have either learned to script efficiently, or copied someone else's work, enabling a significant portion of the game's action to essentially play itself.

Is this the way XIV is heading too? Because if in-combat gear-swaps are present, whether they are taken into account by the development team or not, they will surely dominate the way that the combat portion of the game is played.

Of course, my concern here might be unwarranted. I understand the combat system is still undergoing substantial overhauls. Perhaps the development team have come up with something which means that gear-swapping actually has no effect at all on combat...

Of course, surely it'd just be simpler to lock out gear-swaps while a character has enmity?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    If it's not intended to be used as a strategy, it shouldn't be allowed. People will use it regardless of the intention.
    I'd rather keep twitchy gear swapping out of the game (none of this 10 pieces of gear for every spell and ability swapped in for 0.5 seconds every time you use those abilities crap)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    This. A thousand times this.

The battle system may not have been designed to offer gearswapping as an advantage, but you know what some players are like and doing things that 'weren't designed to happen' (Exploits, bugs etc).

There are some that will use this regardless of how the system was designed. Let's just make it so you can't change while in battle and everything's gravy D:. Even if they set it to 'no gearswapping unless passive' I would be happy... ><

Edit: a 3 second stun/penalty effect would be cool too e_e haha if someone tried to swap while they had enmity or if the party was in battle. It'd allow for people to re-equip items if there are bosses that unequip things, but it'd stop people from abusing it to min/max stuff on a whim like it was in XI
    Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    Anything that can be used to give an advantage, no matter how tiny it may seem, will be used as such. Just because the mechanic isn't being designed to provide such a thing, if it can be achieved it will be abused. There are countless examples in other games, including XI and XIV 1.0, in which such things have been known to happen and are encourage where there has been a failure to resolve the issue.

It's always worth considering the effect of the potential to exploit a given mechanic. There are cases where being able to change or re-equip gear mid battle is useful/necessary, but there should be some balance to it somewhere along the way. As said in the above post, a penalty of some kind is a potential solution, similar to how swapping gear in Ballista (FFXI) would do.

I enjoy having to think about what kind of gear set is best utilised for a given situation as opposed to "I'll use Set A for this, and swap to Set B for this." I had 6 years of gear swaps in XI, I would like to see less of it being used as a strategy in ARR and I'm sure there are plenty others who feel the same.

Well, I'm glad we're all on the same page, at least. I'd really rather they'd lock out the ability to do so completely instead of it even being possible. If they insist on allowing it, however, I at least hope there will be some sort of restriction that will make it inviable.
    (6)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    Thal's Balls! These forums are hot enough to melt an ice goddess.

Player
    Character
    Fluffy Pancake
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    But the solution is quite simple, don't play with those people....
    This is easy to say; if gearswapping catches on as a viable thing to do, we'll pretty much be forced to do so.

You know how everyone stepped on the SAM that TP'd in STR rings, the THF that did everything in DEX rings etc... there were massive threads (and in some cases multiple threads on the same forum) about the people that didn't gear swap when it was seen as 'the thing to do'.

They were labelled as 'incompetent' or 'gimp'

Same thing will happen here.

We can choose 'not' to play with those kinds of people, but what if it's your long-time linkshell? What if every group worth its salt decides gear swapping is worth it?

The easiest thing would be to not allow it at all or penalize one for doing so.
    If they don't want people to do it, then it feels a little ass-backwards to allow it ><

If gear swapping caught on it'd be XI all over again.
    Screwed without windower macros (I didn't bother with this - 3 macros alone to change bst gear to my charm set and back again... ugh... or was it 4?) but the point is it was slow and cumbersome!
    Carry around 3+ sets of gear for the one job?
    8 Staves for your SMN? Why the hell not!

Edited for speeeelling erruhz.
    Also sorry if my post reads harsh, totally not my intention and I wish you a wonderful day Viion^^
    (5)
    Last edited by Nix; 05-29-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Act in such a way that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of another, always at the same time as an end and never simply as a means

Player
    Character
    Kuro L'anzce
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    lol what? LETS CHANGE DAIPERS WHILE WE FIGHT YA'ALL!
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Fluffy Pancake
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Seirra_Lanzce View Post
    lol what? LETS CHANGE DAIPERS WHILE WE FIGHT YA'ALL!
    Only if they have bears on them!
    Bears are fuggin' cute.
    (2)

Act in such a way that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of another, always at the same time as an end and never simply as a means

Player
    Character
    Zenaku Yamada
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Happens anyway.......

Got tripled meld? cya
    Got 450 int? cya
    Got full AF? cya
    Got Relic? cya......
    You want to be Pugilist? cya...

Having an requirement for something already exists and is already demanded and to be expected with MUCH of the content. Gearset is just an addition to something that already exists.

But the solution is quite simple, don't play with those people....
    I have 3 relic for my 3 jobs MNK,BLM,DRG getting tripled is simple with time. Now try and get tripled meld for 2-3 sets of gear per job. Then getting rare,ex gear set for each job. that more pain in the ass then just working on one great master set for each job like i did in 1.0

Also you telling people to not join people like that? really? good luck finding a endgame that does not look at your gear before joining and if you do find one there not that good at winning. Working on one gear set is easy working on 2-3 is not i hope they make it so you can't gear swap in battle.

I also don't want to worry about switching gear in battle in FFXI i ended up just not worrying about it when there was 30+ people doing the same fight.
    (3)
    Last edited by Zenaku; 05-29-2013 at 10:18 AM.
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Autographed By "Akihiko Yoshida Tarot Card Sweepstakes Winner

Player
    Character
    Kerin Kor
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    It's always worth considering the effect of the potential to exploit a given mechanic.
    This is probably my single biggest complaint about SE's developers: their apparent inability to see the patently obvious abuses their mechanics will lead to, never mind the more subtle ones that only devious min/maxers would dream up.

The sheer number of unintended consequences, combined with collateral damage in terms of ensuing nerfs, which XI has suffered over the years is depressing, I fear XIV is headed the same way.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Kerin Kor
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Orophin View Post
    Should just make it if you swap gear sets in the middle of battle it resets your TP to 0.
    No, just prevent gear-swapping in combat AT ALL!

Anything less will still lead to min/max insanity. Balancing boss fights is difficult enough but throw in players ability to swap any and all items with all the myriad of stat boosts that entire wardrobe will contain makes it impossible .. and we end up with some of the insane fights seen in XI when SE try to make it 'hard' no matter what abuse of the gear-swap system allows.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Furukawa Mikoto
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvinire View Post
    While you can change equipment during battle, the development team confirmed that the battle system wasn't designed to offer that as an advantage. The purpose of the Armoury Chest and gear sets are simply to facilitate changing gear and additional inventory for gear and were not created to be used as a strategy during battle.
    omg no! Why is this being changed from 1.0? Gear swapping should not be allowed in the middle of battle. Even if the battle system wasn't designed to support it people will do it anyway. This will turn into FFXI's mess of a battle system again. Please leave it as it was in 1.0! >_<
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Dragonheart Lux
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    WHAT?? They will implement gear swapping again?! This is the worst news ever this morning.
    (4)

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast