Player
    Character
    Lydia Burdenbearer
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60

Prohibiting the use of your own music in future videos.

I had questions about the future of making your own FFXIV-related videos.

In the recent Live Letter VI, when the PvP-spectating and recording your own matches were discussed, they stated the following:

...so we hope to see our players enjoy creating their own videos. Please remember though that adding music from an outside source is prohibited, so please only use FFXIV as your source.
    While the translation itself is pretty self-explanatory, i was wondering if this was something that was localized or presented rather broadly, instead.

I'm kinda hoping that the original idea or message behind the quoted statement is that using copyrighted music is prohibited. What about using fan-made remixes or even your own self-produced music, that have no copyrights whatsoever? What about using fan-made remixes of FFXIV/ARR soundtracks?

This raises some concerns to me personally, that in due time, if the music of choice for your own videos is limited to FFXIV-related only, wouldn't that become rather tacky, or even exhausting, hearing the same tunes over and over again, in every video that the players create?

What if using these same tunes starts limiting the creativity and possibilities how the creators of these videos would like to express themselves? Would we be allowed to cut and paste the pieces of music to better suit our needs, or would we be required to play songs from beginning to the very end?

Also, what troubles me, is would these conditions apply to any videographical content created by users, or only certain parts, like PvP and guild show-offs, excluding something a little more artistic like, let's say timelapse-videos?

If we're encouraged to use FFXIV-related music only, will Square-Enix be providing these tunes to us? Or do we have to purchase the official soundtrack from a store?

What kind of consequences there would be? While a video might be created using non-copyrighted music from an external source, would only the creator of the video be shunned upon, or would all the player characters presented in the video suffer?

While i've been personally enjoying the tunes i've been hearing so far, i'd also like to have the possibility to use more freely the non-copyrighted material available, in order to make the video stand out in a more personal and expressive way.
    (1)

Character
    Hiir Noivl
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    I think it was speaking broadly of using say Blink 182 music without the band's permission. Everyone does it, I know, but in the real world, he knows that telling people to make their own videos has to come with a bunch of fine print.

*FFXIV does not endorse the production, use, and/or distribution of player made videos. Player made videos are the sole responsibility of the player and the player is expected to follow all laws, regulations and restrictions when making them. Breaking of such laws are at the player's own risk.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    It is a simplification of a copyright disclaimer.

SE appear to essentially be planning a license to players to use their game footage in videos.

The copyright legistlation of your country/state will still apply, which are different everywhere. Some countries will allow derivative works, others with conditions, some not at all.

FUN FACT: YouTube will automatically apply visibility and searchability blocks to content uploaded in accordance with the laws of the country it is being viewed from, based on what their system detects in your video.
    (2)