Y'ruh Tia
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaltus View Post
    *Spoiler Warning*

Just a few things i would change:
    IV: A man controlled by a Allagan seeking to awaken himself and his kind from their long slumber on the moon. So they can reclaim Hydaelyn(Golbez).
    IX: A man who wishes to overthrow his creator, after realizing his mortality he decides to eradicate all life, believing it to be "unfair" that the world should exist without him(Kuja).
    I thought about both of those, but Bahamut already covered the "mind control from the moon" in offering Nael much-desired power.

As for Kuja, I didn't think it'd be right for a man of any Eorzean race to have a "creator" unless he's an undead Frankenstein monster of sorts, which would likely not make it to Legatus status anyway. Perhaps instead of "creator" it'd be his parent, and whatever shortens his life might be a hereditary illness. Either that or they had him enhanced at the cost of halving his life span.
    (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukkirii View Post
    I'll save you Yoshida!

/casts Raise

Player
    Character
    J'hyan Tia
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    "So we just... make most of that metal and that's lunch, yeah?"
    - Monster Team
    I lol'd

ninja10char
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Estelomo Claustrada
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    Did Nestern just out himself as an Archer fan?

Um, whaaat? I just like stars. My FFXI character was named Staruphen. Parts of Hestern Nestern can be said to contain the meaning Star. So, I uh...wanted to say something involving them.

Yeah.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teryaani View Post
    None of you are real. You're all just cats pounding on a keyboard, and using ELIZA software when in TS3/Vent.

No time for a WMD, so this firecracker will have to suffice until the loremaster and I can put together a complete post.

FUN FACT: The 'middle names' of the Garelans who have appeared in XIV represent their relative position within the Empire's sociopolitical structure (including the Imperial Army).

BREAK!
    (26)

Player
    Character
    Orophin Calmcacil
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Well, van is used for the Generals of the Legions it seems. However Nael assumed the title of Deus (which means God, as someone has pointed out before) once he got all glowy from accepting power from Dalamud. I guess sol would be Emperor or ruler. Wonder what other titles there are...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sylve Lowen
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Mm.

Van must be in relation to the rank of Legatus. Sol, as you've mentioned, is probably exclusive to the emperor.

There's also "nan". Like Midas nan Garlond, or Cid nan Garlond. I know Cid was named a minister after his father, and Midas was the Grand Minister of Industry if I'm not mistaken. So the "nan" prefix could possibly be in relation to the ministers.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Prince Nuada
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 70
    Ahhh... now we see what Ferne may have been hinting at... so, in hierarcherial order it is possibly:
    • Zos - For the Imperial family
    • Van - For the top ranking Generals (and aristocrats?)
    • Nan - For Grand Ministers (also Ambassadors and high ranking political figures?)
    (2)
    "After ten years, finally headed to Sharlayan... absolutely stoked"

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    FUN FACT: The 'middle names' of the Garelans who have appeared in XIV represent their relative position within the Empire's sociopolitical structure (including the Imperial Army).
    Ok, I should have seen that one coming.

"Two Vans are better than one" makes so much more sense now.

Also, I wouldn't guess that the middle name is representative of rank, but more career. Van becomes millitary commander, where as Nan would be for engineers or inventors.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Sylve Lowen
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    I suppose this isn't 100% related to naming conventions, but I figure it's something I'd tack on here since it might have some influence on things.

I've always wondered, do the Garleans have their own written and spoken language? It seems like something that they would have, but we as characters simply would have no idea because we have the Echo and can understand everyone anyways.

It's never been mentioned in-game to my knowledge, either, so there's no telling there. If they do, I wonder what sort of accent they might have.

We know what some Eorzean accents are like across various regions of the country, simply by the way text is conveyed and voice actors in certain cutscenes. I've always pictured the Garlean language might be something akin to a mix of German/latin with thick, heavy accents.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Considering that Eorzean looks like the handwritten English alphabet with kata/hira-style shifts, I'm betting the Garleans, Roman in nature all around, just use straight up LINGVA LATINA
    (1)
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast