Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    In regards to Cid's surname (Garlond), I think it's generally accepted that it was a subtle reference to Garland, the main antagonist for the original FF (and FFIX for that matter). I presume 'Garlemald' is derived from FFI's insane Cornerian knight as well.
    (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rannie View Post
    Aaaaannnd now I just had a mental image of Lahabrea walking into a store called Bodies R Us and trying on different humans.... >.<

Lahabrea: hn too tall... tooo short.... Juuuuuust right.
    Venat was right.

Player
    Character
    Estelomo Claustrada
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    In terms of Baelsar, I had a funny feeling about the name that I couldn't quite put into words -- then with a little help from the Gugull monster -- I remembered:

Baal or Bael, one of the seven princes of hell, a demon, mentioned in the Hebrew Bible.

Tsar, a Slavic title equivalent to emperor, king, or the like, from the name Caesar.

= Demon Prince/King?

Whenever I make up names, I tend to put together the names by syllable. Therefore, when I attempt to break down a name, I examine it by syllable. This doesn't always assist me, but all the same I wanted to explain my method above.
    (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teryaani View Post
    None of you are real. You're all just cats pounding on a keyboard, and using ELIZA software when in TS3/Vent.

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    I'm not sure what zos means, but it's probably something to do with Garlean leadership naming conventions, possibly (though, this is a stretch) a neutered form of the widely known Jewish word Zohar which means "radiance," so perhaps his full name means, "The Only, the radiant, Leader." Latin leaders had a similar term for radiant used to mean godly: divi, meaningly divine. It was used in many Imperial leadership names.
    Given that the emperor of Garlemald is referred to as "his radiance" I suspect your hunch is on target.

As for Gaius van Baelsar...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hestern_Nestern View Post
    Baal or Bael, one of the seven princes of hell, a demon, mentioned in the Hebrew Bible.

Tsar, a Slavic title equivalent to emperor, king, or the like, from the name Caesar.

= Demon Prince/King?
    This also sounds credible.

Another thing to remember about the legati is that there are, surprise surprise, at least fourteen of them foreshadowed, with number fourteen protrayed as a lasting antagonist. Now Nael's story supposedly bore thematic links to FFVII, so it would logically follow that each legati will have a backstory aligning to the themes of the FF game in question.

The Legatus of the Third Legion may very well be the Cloud of Darkness manifested. The commander of the sixth legion may be somewhat mad and the thirteenth Legatus could be focused on re-booting creation.

Granted, I haven't played FFVII myself, but are people able to work with this concept for a closer examination of Nael's name?
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Y'ruh Tia
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Catapult View Post
    Another thing to remember about the legati is that there are, surprise surprise, at least fourteen of them foreshadowed, with number fourteen protrayed as a lasting antagonist. Now Nael's story supposedly bore thematic links to FFVII, so it would logically follow that each legati will have a backstory aligning to the themes of the FF game in question.

The Legatus of the Third Legion may very well be the Cloud of Darkness manifested. The commander of the sixth legion may be somewhat mad and the thirteenth Legatus could be focused on re-booting creation.

Granted, I haven't played FFVII myself, but are people able to work with this concept for a closer examination of Nael's name?
    It's hard to know if we'll be able to encounter them all. You have me spinning with ideas! They'd all likely be human, so CoD is a bit of a stretch.

*SPOILER WARNING* (may contain spoilers for previous FF games)
    • I: A knight with a great sword, somehow related to the Four Fiends (we know Tiamat will be in the game)
    • II: A mage with hidden ambitions to overthrow and replace the Emperor (Leon)
    • III: A wizard who curses his own mortality, and seeks to punish the world that made him this way (Xande)
    • IV: A man associated with space travel (Golbez)
    • V: A man with designs to return the world to its original state in order to unlock a hidden power (Exdeath)
    • VI: A madman that yearns to ascend to godhood for the sole purpose of destroying the world (Kefka)
    • VII: Nael van Darnus, a man hell-bent on reclaiming the world for his bloodline, attempting to do so using a meteor (Sephiroth)
    • VIII: A woman longing to reclaim her past, willing to do the unimaginable to achieve this (Ultimecia)
    • IX: A man whose life-expectancy is short, though his power is not lacking (Kuja)
    • X: A man seeking to become a Primal, even if it means defying death (Seymour)
    • XI: Nael Van Darnus' brother, also hell-bent on reclaiming the world for Allag (Eald'narche)
    • XII: The Emperor's son, also scheming to overthrow the Emperor. He and the IInd Legatus will come in conflict (Vayne)
    • XIII: A religious leader interested in calling forth his god (Dysley)
    • XIV: Gaius van Baelsar is related to XIV itself, so anything could happen.

Forgive me if the above is full of fan craziness. It would be interesting if they used previous FF games as the inspiration for each Legatus. They could have other allusions as well!
    • Legati 1, 2, 3, and 5 could form a four-person party!
    • Legatus 4 might turn out to be Cid's brother!
    • Legatus 5 could have ties to Gilgamesh and Atomos!
    • Legatus 8 could be an orphan, or have ties to Amon/Hein
    • Legatus 9 might hate Legatus 1 for causing his disease(Kuja and Garland respectively)
    (7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukkirii View Post
    I'll save you Yoshida!

/casts Raise

Player
    Character
    Mementus Veventus
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    *Spoiler Warning*

Just a few things i would change:
    IV: A man controlled by a Allagan seeking to awaken himself and his kind from their long slumber on the moon. So they can reclaim Hydaelyn(Golbez).
    IX: A man who wishes to overthrow his creator, after realizing his mortality he decides to eradicate all life, believing it to be "unfair" that the world should exist without him(Kuja).
    (1)
    Last edited by Alaltus; 03-20-2013 at 05:51 AM.

Player
    Character
    Mementus Veventus
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    When did Allag rule Eorzea? The height of their power was over 5,000 years ago. They were probably all Elezen. Hell, it's possible that the Elezen rode out 5, maybe even 6, umbral eras alone.
    I refute your point sir engarde. I argue that the Elezen devolved from their predecessor race, the Alla-gans. But the Allag themselves were Lalafell before they fell from power hense fell. Alla over time changed into Lala, Alla rearranged and phonetically the same. Lala-fell =P

If my hypothesis becomes true which i do not doubt! the Elezen will be unable to hide from the truth, that they are just overgrown Lalafell with elongated Dhamel necks making their heads ideal for predators to pick.
    (6)
    Last edited by Alaltus; 03-20-2013 at 06:02 AM.

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaltus View Post
    I refute your point sir engarde. I argue that the Elezen devolved from their predecessor race, the Alla-gans. But the Allag themselves were Lalafell before they fell from power hense fell. Alla over time changed into Lala, Alla rearranged and phonetically the same. Lala-fell =P

If my hypothesis becomes true which i do not doubt! the Elezen will be unable to hide from the truth, that they are just overgrown Lalafell with elongated Dhamel necks making their heads ideal for predators to pick.
    I CONCUR. /lights pipe
    (5)
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Estelomo Claustrada
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Catapult View Post
    This also sounds credible.
    PHEW! I started sweating, seeing that you had replied to me...but it seems I've passed unharmed.

OH MY STARS!!! BRILLIANT!!!

And given that IX is my favourite in the series, I cannot wait to see how the IXth Legatus will play into this game!
    (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teryaani View Post
    None of you are real. You're all just cats pounding on a keyboard, and using ELIZA software when in TS3/Vent.

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Hestern_Nestern View Post
    OH MY STARS!!!
    Did Nestern just out himself as an Archer fan? I can't get enough of that show. When I did my playthrough of Skyrim, I primarily did Archery and all of my custom accessories were silver and named Sterling Archer's Ring and Sterling Archer's Necklace, etc.

I'm hoping to see an Ultimecia-themed legatus. And how hard would that be?

"So we just... make most of that metal and that's lunch, yeah?"
    - Monster Team

(5)
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Y'ruh Tia
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 90
    I CONCUR. /lights pipe
    That would make us Hyurs an off-shoot halfway through the evolutionary line... I'll have none of this! *starts burning all trace of the notion*
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukkirii View Post
    I'll save you Yoshida!

/casts Raise

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast