Player
    Character
    Noloe Tazier
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80

An Eorzean Timeline.

I thought I should copy/paste the Eorzean Timeline I posted in the CG Midlander Thread and give it it's own thread so more people could view it and not have to skim the pages in the thread looking for it.

First let me explain that the Final Fantasy XIV history tells us that things started with The First Astral era started with the wandering tribes coming to Eorzea and the Twelve welcomed them. Then they began to war and the Twelve left Eorzea. Now if we take this and go with the the repeating pattern we get: First Astral -> First Umbral -> Second Astral -> Second Umbral -> Third Astral -> Third Umbral -> Fourth Astral -> Fourth Umbral -> Fifth Astral -> Fifth Umbral -> Sixth Astral -> Sixth Umbral. But this does not line up correctly since we know we're in the Sixth Astral which turns into the Seventh Umbral. Since there's so little known, I can only expand on what I do know and understand. Thank you.

Time of the Twelve
    • The Time of the Twelve is the Era when the Twelve were said to live on Eorzea. It was said the land was inhabited by gods and goddesses. This could refer to the Twelve themselves, it could be the Twelve along with Primals and other magical beings, or it could just be a race of magical people. We don't know currently.
    • Wandering tribes began to appear in Eorzea. This could only be 3 races: Elezen, Lalafell, or Roegadyn. Miqo'te and Hyur are given specific dates to when they appeared in Eorzea. It could also be that it was an old race that evolved into one of the 3 or simply race(s) that went extinct.

*(YA) = Years Ago

First Umbral Era - Element: Wind
    Unknown Time --- The wandering tribes began to war with each other. The Twelve (gods and goddesses) were angered and left the land of Eorzea to the tribes.

First Astral Era
    Unknown Time --- The Age of Man begins.

Second Umbral Era - Element: Lightning
    Unknown Time --- Nothing is known of this calamity.

Second Astral Era
    Unknown Time --- Nothing is known of this era.

Third Umbral Era - Element: Fire
    Unknown Time --- Speculation: Possibly the rise of Bahamut?

Third Astral Era
    ~5000 (YA) ---
    • Allagan Empire founded. Expands the entire continent of Aldenard and possibly Vylbrand.
    • Allagan Empire constructs the Royal Allagan Sunway and Starway in present day Thanalan.
    • Allagan Empire imprisons Bahamut. Possibly what brought about the end of the Third Umbral era.

Fourth Umbral Era - Element: Earth
    ~4000 (YA)--- Allagan Empire's destruction ushers in the Fourth Umbral Era. Possibly due to imprisonment of Bahamut.

Fourth Astral Era
    Less than 4000 (YA) more than 3000(YA) --- Nothing is known of this era.

Fifth Umbral Era - Element: Ice
    Less than 4000 (YA) more than 3000(YA) --- Ancestors of the Miqo'te tribes travel across the frozen seas following food.

Fifth Astral Era
    ~3000 (YA) ---
    • Eorzeans discover magic and ultimately bring about the end of the Fifth Umbral Era and usher in the Fifth Astral Era.
    • Shatotto, a very talented thaumaturge, casts Meteor to bring down a 'Star' and uses the fragments to create the Stardust Rod.
    • Many White Mages abuse their power and ultimately cause the Sixth Umbral era to be ushered in. As a result the art dies out.
    • Grand Companies come together to prepare for the Sixth Umbral era.

Sixth Umbral Era - Element: Water
    ~1572 (YA) ---
    • A Great Flood submerges and damages many parts of Eorzea. Caused by the abuse of power with the White Mages, as a result the art begins to die out.

Sixth Astral Era
    Dates are current to Sixth Astral calendar years.
    ~ denotes around the time of.

233 --- Lewphon of Sharlayan writes "The Five Ages - An Eorzean Chronology." Possible Archon?
    ~572 ---
    • Hyur begin to migrate to Eorzea in three great migratory waves.
    • Founding fathers of Ishgard encounter Nidhogg. Haldrath takes up his slain sire's lancer and thrusts it into Nidhogg's eye, the first Dragoon is born.
    ~872 --- Limsa Lomina is founded.
    ~972 --- The Sultan Sworn founded, sworn to the Sultan of Ul'dah. Three swords were forged for the 3 Paladins who founded the Sultan Sworn, Curtana was created.
    1022 --- The Ixali settle in Twelveswood calling it "Tinolqa" or "Blessed Forest" in the common tongue. They build houses in the trees and can fly.They worship Garuda.
    1022~1422 --- Ixali are exiled from the Twelveswood by the Elementals. They travel to the canyons of Xelphatol. Their young begin to be born without the feathers on their wings that catch the winds and allow them to fly.
    1272~1372 --- Sil'dih civilization is destroyed in it's war with Ul'dah. Was then said to be buried by sandstorms. Possibly could still be around. Aqueducts extended to Nophica's Well and the Copperbell Mines.
    1422 --- Ixali invent the 'dirigbles' to make up for their lack of flight.
    1468 --- Ala Mhigo invades the Twelveswood beginning the Autumn War.
    1469 ---
    • Ul'dah, Limsa Lomina, & Ishgard send reinforcements to Gridania. Ala Mhigo's offense is halted and eventually the Alliance wins and Ala Mhigo withdraws.
    • Beltrant Durendaire, an Ishgardian scout along with his Choboo Ouranos, uncover a secret Ala Mhigan march while on patrol. Despite being heavily wounded Beltrant and Ouranos return to camp and make known of the Ala Mhigan position. Ouranos dies of his wounds. As a result Chocobo Barding was developed.
    ~1472 ---
    • The Goblin Pilgrimage begins.
    • Ququruka creates Barbatos but is forced to seal it away when things turn out wrong.
    1483~1492 --- Solus soz Galvus born (Is said to be over 80 years old)
    1506 --- Roddard Ironheart creates the first complete map of Eorzea. see below²
    1521 --- The Empire of Garlemald founded under Solus zos Galvus.
    1542 --- Toto-Rak sealed by Elder Seedseer.
    1552 --- Theoderic, the King of Ruin, fought to wipe out the Fist of Rhalgr, the Monks, of Ala Mhigo. Nearly all the Monks were wiped out.
    1557 ---
    • After inciting unrest within the masses of Ala Mhigo, the Garleans are able to capture the city with little bloodshed and proceed to occupy the great city of the Highlanders The Monk-less Ala Mhigans were no match for the mighty power of the Garlean Magitek and Machina.
    • Nidhogg destroys the town of Ferndale.
    • The Dragoon Ser Alberic meets Nidhogg in combat, Ser Alberic suffers injuries that make him lose his Dragoon powers.
    • Nidhogg begins it's slumber after suffering wounds.
    1557~1562 --- The First Primal in Eorzea was supposedly summoned. Causing the Garleans to cease their advance into Eorzea.
    1562 ---
    • The Garlean flagship Agrias invades Mor Dhona and does battle with the dragons. The Guardian of the Lake Midgarsormr appears and destroys the Agrias and the Garlean fleet. The battle is called Battle of Silvertear Skies
    • Primals are released with the Ceruleum explosion caused by the impact of the Agrias and Midgarsormr colliding with the Silvertear Lake.
    • Echo awakens in mass.
    • Mor Dhona's landscape begins to change in the resulting explosion and aetherial disturbances.
    • The City-state Main Scenarios Echo begin as we enter the world of Eorzea with our characters.
    • Beastmen are exiled from Ul'dah out of fear of being targeted by Garleans.
    • The Bozja Citadel is destroyed in an experiment to bring down the lesser moon Dalamud.
    • The incident causes Cid and other engineers to leave for the City States.
    1564 --- The Amalj'aa Summon Ifrit at Mythril Pit T-3.
    1567 ---
    • The Sahagin become more aggressive and begin to attack.
    • Possibly the year that The Company of Heroes defeat Titan and Leviathan.
    1571 --- The Empire resumes the advance into Eorzea under Nael van Darnus' and the VIIth Legion.
    1572 --- The Present Day. Not going to list all the quests and happenings lol.
    • Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn becomes Admiral of Limsa Lominsa, she reinstates the Maelstrom.
    • Raubahn Aldynn, the Bull of Ala Mhigo, with his wins in the Ul'dahn Gladiator arena earns himself a spot in the Syndicate. With the help of the Sultana Raubahn reinstates the Immortal Flames, despite the approval of the other Syndicate members.
    • The Elder Seedseer Kan-E-Senna returns to Gridania and reinstates the Twin Adders. Ultimately she's the most outspoken for the return of the Eorzean Alliace with the other two city-states Grand Companies and with help of the Adventurers the Eorzean Alliance is formed.

Seventh Umbral Era
    00 --- Dalamud reaches a critical point and Bahamut is released from it's prison. The Eorzean Alliance and the Circle of Knowing along with us the adventurers do battle with the VIIth Legion of the Garlean Imperial Army in the Cartaneau Flats (an area north west of Ul'dah and south west of Mor Dhona). Bahamut unleashes destruction that reaches all the way to Limsa Lominsa, ushering in the Seventh Umbral Era.
    00 --- Bahamut is defeated or subdued sometime after we adventurers are teleported away into a void to return in 5 years. Currently unknown as to what stopped Bahamut's rampage.
    4~5 --- A Realm Reborn:
    • New Adventurers arrive in one of the 3 City-States.
    • The Adventurers transported away from the Battle of Cartaneau Flats reemerge in Eorzea, learning that they have been forgotten by the majority. A few still remember the now Warriors of Light but the memories are very vague and or appear fuzzy to the owner.

Thanks to Ferne and the Dev team for creating a place for us Loremongers.

² In One Are Twelve
    A map is as precise
    As the malms walked in her making,
    Yet I fear these feet
    Have but far too few between them.
    May she serve faithfully
    Any who would employ her for good,
    And shun all who would fill
    Her borders with blood.
    Twelve see the steps taken
    By those who heed her humble guidance
    Ensure her legacy endures.
    (73)
    Last edited by NoloeTazier; 08-06-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    Check out my Lore posts:
    An Eorzean Timeline: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/64377-An-Eorzean-Timeline-Reborn

Player
    Character
    Y'ruh Tia
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 90
    Nice thread, although the THM was actually named Shatotto. I distinctly remember there wasn't an N, making her distinct from the lovably maniacal Taru in XI.
    (6)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukkirii View Post
    I'll save you Yoshida!

/casts Raise

Player
    Character
    Noloe Tazier
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrusama View Post
    Nice thread, although the THM was actually named Shatotto. I distinctly remember there wasn't an N, making her distinct from the lovably maniacal Taru in XI.
    Yeah thanks for that, when I copied and pasted I was looking it over and noticed the name and for some reason I changed it from Shatotto to Shantotto thinking that I had misspelled it the first time.
    (0)
    Check out my Lore posts:
    An Eorzean Timeline: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/64377-An-Eorzean-Timeline-Reborn

Player
    Character
    Rhivryn Shaw
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    I am pretty sure we aren't in an Astral Era in ARR. It's only 5 years after The Battle of Cartaneau Flats, so wouldn't that have been the beginning of the Seventh Umbral Era? Aren't the Astral and Umbral Eras supposed to last 100s-1000s of years each?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Sylve Lowen
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Few things I noticed that seemed off. Take 'em with a grain of salt, though. :>

Quote Originally Posted by NoloeTazier View Post
    Ququruka creates Barbatos to destroy Eorzea.

Fairly certain this is incorrect. [Black Mage quest spoilers] If I remember correctly, the entire plot behind the Black Mage story is that Ququruka accidentally twisted his friends into the abomination that is Barbatos when a Black Magic spell they were attempting to cast backfired. He ended up sealing it away and made up the story in order convince the Thaumaturges to lock him away because he felt guilty about what he had done. He ended up biding his time until another Thaumaturge came along (I.E your character) that was powerful enough to slay Barbatos and finally allow his friend's souls to rest. I also don't remember this having a specific date.

A Great Flood submerges and damages many parts of Eorzea. Possibly caused by Urianger and the Archons.
    No idea where the last bit comes from. Seems like old speculation and doesn't really make any sense at all. If some one has actual proof of that, though, feel free to correct me on that. I'd like to think speculation should be left out of a timeline, however. Just my personal opinion, of course.

The Empire resumes the advance into Eorzea under Nael van Darnus' and the VIIth Legion.
    Fairly certain this occured in 1572, not in 1571. The game began in 1572 according to Fern, and the VIIth legion did not start it's invasion of Eorzea until after the start of the game.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Noloe Tazier
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhivryn View Post
    I am pretty sure we aren't in an Astral Era in ARR. It's only 5 years after The Battle of Cartaneau Flats, so wouldn't that have been the beginning of the Seventh Umbral Era? Aren't the Astral and Umbral Eras supposed to last 100s-1000s of years each?
    I asked Ferne the same thing:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    Okay, let me do a quick pass over your questions while I take a breather from all this Beta madness...

Are Umbrals Eras short? Or does it depend on the destruction?

It depends on the destruction. The Umbral Eras are the periods of chaos and regrouping that follow the cataclysms that end each Astral Era. The regrouping can take several years, to several decades. More on this, and what happened during the 7th Umbral Era, will be laid out in detail in the 2.0 storyline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endemerrin View Post
    Few things I noticed that seemed off. Take 'em with a grain of salt, though. :>

Fairly certain this is incorrect. [Black Mage quest spoilers] If I remember correctly, the entire plot behind the Black Mage story is that Ququruka accidentally twisted his friends into the abomination that is Barbatos when a Black Magic spell they were attempting to cast backfired. He ended up sealing it away and made up the story in order convince the Thaumaturges to lock him away because he felt guilty about what he had done. He ended up biding his time until another Thaumaturge came along (I.E your character) that was powerful enough to slay Barbatos and finally allow his friend's souls to rest. I also don't remember this having a specific date.

No idea where the last bit comes from. Seems like old speculation and doesn't really make any sense at all. If some one has actual proof of that, though, feel free to correct me on that. I'd like to think speculation should be left out of a timeline, however. Just my personal opinion, of course.

Fairly certain this occured in 1572, not in 1571. The game began in 1572 according to Fern, and the VIIth legion did not start it's invasion of Eorzea until after the start of the game.
    Lalai tells us at the Milvaneth Sacrarium that Ququruka conspired with the Beast tribes to create a monster that would destroy Eorzea. The Spell backfired in the sense that Barbatos was not controllable so Ququruka had to seal it. Then we come along years later. I can't remember the exact spot I got the date from but I believe it's said during the quest by a Thaumaturge telling you of the story. Remember Lalafell age slowly, so 100 years isn't that long.

I threw in the speculation not because it was mine own, but because it's told by NPCs. I merely kept it in the story because that's all we're told. That doesn't mean it's true, it's just speculation from the Lore we were given and I think people should know that the Archons and the Circle of Knowing may not be "perfectly" good but also not relatively evil, they just have knowledge we currently do not. It also helps us question how long Elezen can actually live because like Lalafell they age very slowly.

The VIIth Legion began infiltrating Eorzea and taking over Ceruleum supplies and setting about the various aether devices prior 1572. I don't mean they began their war with the City-States merely that with the brainwashed Ala Mhigans that were given to Van Darnus, he began to put things into motion. They weren't necessarily attacking anyone, but the presence was there. We know that a Primal appeared to halt the Garlean advance after Ala Mhigo, and then 1 year prior to 'present' year the VIIth began to appear in Eorzea.

Sadly it's hard for me to give evidence since the servers are no longer up. I merely went through every quest, newspaper article (Harbor Herald, The Raven, the Mythril eye) and talked to every NPC and took any dates I could find and put them together.
    (3)
    Check out my Lore posts:

Player
    Character
    Aluena Mahri
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    ending the 7UE is hard to follow as we are only looking through a very limited view of Eorzea after the Calamity. We don't know all the factors, so it would be best to assume it's still in the Umbral Era until we can see more definitive information on the world at large.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Endemerrin is correct about Ququruka. He didn't plot to destroy Eorzea. He sought to unlock the secrets of black magic. You can't blame society for drawing conclusions after he stupidly messed up his masterwork and created an abomination out of his colleagues. What Yayake and Lalai know is not first hand knowledge. I would put a greater weight on Ququruka's dying confessions.

You also have the wrong date on the first appearance of a primal that stopped the Garlean advance. 1557, not 1562. The battle of Silvertear Skies marks a notable exception to a 15-year period of inactivity from the Garleans.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Lady Purrsalot
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 50
    I was really hoping the CG midlander thread would get broken down into seperate categories. So much information in their, seems a shame that its all clumped together in one thread.

Thank you ^_^
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sylve Lowen
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Catapult View Post
    Endemerrin is correct about Ququruka. He didn't plot to destroy Eorzea. He sought to unlock the secrets of black magic. You can't blame society for drawing conclusions after he stupidly messed up his masterwork and created an abomination out of his colleagues. What Yayake and Lalai know is not first hand knowledge. I would put a greater weight on Ququruka's dying confessions.
    Mhm! Ququruka admits that in his lust for more knowledge and power, he made a few minor adjustments to the spell they were going to cast without telling his three beastmen friends who were assisting him. His calculations were wrong, and the spell went haywire, transforming his three companions into Barbatos. He had told no one about this previously, which is why everyone else says he tried to destroy the world. That was simply the story he used to cover up what he had actually done.

Here's his dying words from the last cutscene, verbatim:

"We toiled together, learning what we could. And learn we did. Much and more. Then, imagining we had gleaned all that was to be known, we prepared and held a dark rite--one which we believed would restore black magic to it's fullest expression. I do not know what came over me. I... Blinded by my own lust for power, I altered one of the incantations. It was...arrogant. And foolish.

Our command over the ancient powers we had summoned was lost. I watched as the chaotic aether washed over my three friends, ripping their bodies asunder, only to fuse them together into...into a macabre teratism. A monstrosity.

When I saw what my hubris had created, I mustered all of my strength to see Barbatos sealed behind the Voidgate. Sealed--yet not defeated.

Yet I felt myself corrupted by the aether, and was unsure whether I could hold my powers in check. Fearful, I returned to Ul'dah where I manipulated the minds of a few thaumaturges of the Order into believing I had committed some terrible crime. Only with me confined to the depths of Marasaja Pit could the realm be safe. (Fairly certain Marasaja nullifies magic, which is why he wanted himself put there)

And there I remained--waiting. Waiting for the coming of the one with the power to purify the aether of those three friends with whom I once shared a dream.

I do not expect forgiveness, but I am truly sorry."

He doesn't mention an exact date, but it should be somewhere around one hundred years ago, not exactly one hundred years. I believe he says something along the lines of having been locked away for over a century. All in all, though, it's an incredibly tragic story. Definitely one of my favorite out of all the job storylines.
    (7)
    Last edited by Endemerrin; 03-13-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast