Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Asael K'ni'roux
    World
    Halicarnassus
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Question...astral--> umbral...so technically 1st astral --> 1st umbral--->2nd astral-->2nd umbral...am I right?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Y'ruh Tia
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 90
    I think we should change all labels of the Seventh Umbral Era to reflect the new title: Seventh Umbral Period. This will most commonly be denoted as "7UP"
    (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukkirii View Post
    I'll save you Yoshida!

/casts Raise

Player
    Character
    Aluena Mahri
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    No it went from the Age of Gods -> 1st Umbral Era -> 1st Astral Era -> 2nd Umbral ect. (~Nyaa)
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Asael K'ni'roux
    World
    Halicarnassus
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayokane View Post
    No it went from the Age of Gods -> 1st Umbral Era -> 1st Astral Era -> 2nd Umbral ect. (~Nyaa)
    Can you link or point me in the right direction...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Allistar View Post
    Can you link or point me in the right direction...
    All the Dalamud quests were referred to as the 7th Umbral Era storyline, while the current dates were the 6th Astral Era. Ergo, for a given number, the umbral era comes first, followed by astral.

Not sure if there's ever been a specific dev post addressing this, but it's pretty obvious based on the prominent in-game info. It's not like it was tucked away in some sidequest, it was the main story... >.>

Many a player has however lamented that this order is backwards from the convention used in naming the months, but it is what it is...
    (1)
    Check out my Eorzean fonts! - Twitter: @MyrandaFFXIV
    http://dachoutom.no-ip.org/ffxiv/fonts.html
    The Astronomical Society of Eorzea!
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/142965-The-Astronomical-Society-of-Eorzea

Player
    Character
    Aluena Mahri
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Here You Go!
    It's in Chapter 5 - Of Gods

The Sixth Umbral Era belonged to the waters, as heavy rains fell and the seas rose high, submerging and cleansing all in a great deluge. With time the waters receded, ushering in the present Sixth Astral Era,
    (3)

7. 03-14-2013 02:02 AM

Player
    Character
    Asael K'ni'roux
    World
    Halicarnassus
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Ok...so from what I'm reading there seems to be some sort of miscommunication...because if it states astral then umbral for the years and the they say umbral then astral according to the eras...which is it...our lore masters need to check that for consistency.

Chapter 3 - The Years

The Year is made when the Moon goeth round the two Astral and Umbral poles, fluctuating between the six elements, and that in turn. In this, the Year can be said to be the length of twelve Moons. The first and second Moons of the Year are the first astral and first Umbral, and together they share affinity with Ice. On their watch, all is frozen, and breath of life sloweth to near silence beneath. The second Astral and second Umbral Moons come third and fourth in turn, and they are the Water of the melting Ice, and with their flowing slaketh the thirst of life again. Fifth and sixth are the third Astral and third Umbral Moons, and the Wind bloweth over the Water, carrying its heavenly boons near and far. The fourth pairing of Astral and Umbral Moons come six and seven. when the heavens rageth with the furies of Lightning and sendeth them below with godly terror to test the faith of men. The ninth and tenth Moons are the Fifth Astral and Umbral, as the Lightning turns to Fire, and it charreth growing life with the colors of its flames, bleeding blade and leaf with brilliant ues of crimson and scarlet. Year's end eometh in the eleventh and twelfth Moons, the sixth Astral and sixth Umbral, in which the Earth consumes all, for out of the ground we are taken for the dust we are, and to the dust we shall return.

Chapter 5 - Of Gods

The constancy and eternity of time derive from the pulse and breath of the Twelve. And by their divine will the brilliance of the Astral Eras which see man flourish and prosper, and the shadows of the Umbral Eras which see man falter and doubt, are visited upon him in equal, and neither the greatest good nor the greatest evil may escape their purview. Since the peace among the Twelve was broken and life was created to wage their wars, six cycles of the Eras have come to pass in keeping with the elemental order. The Sixth Umbral Era belonged to the waters, as heavy rains fell and the seas rose high, submerging and cleansing all in a great deluge. With time the waters receded, ushering in the present Sixth Astral Era, during which man has again rebuilt his halls and tilled his lands. Naught save the ken of the Twelve themselves knoweth when the Seventh Umbral Era shall come and end our days. The sole certainty what resides within man is the selfsame as it has ever been - ours is the power to make of our Era what we might.
    (1)
    Last edited by Allistar; 03-14-2013 at 02:07 AM.

Player
    Character
    J'hyan Tia
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Ok...so from what I'm reading there seems to be some sort of miscommunication...because if it states astral then umbral for the years and the they say umbral then astral according to the eras...which is it...our lore masters need to check that for consistency.
    You're confusing months (1A Moon, 1U Moon, 2A Moon, 2U Moon, ...) with eras (1U Era, 1A Era, 2U Era, 2A Era, ...)

I assume this to mean months go (#1 Full moon, #1 New moon, #2 Full moon, #2 New moon, ...) while the eras start with darkness and move to light.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Asael K'ni'roux
    World
    Halicarnassus
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    So why would the moons and years go from light to dark but the eras go from dark to light...??? I know this may seem trivial but does seem a bit confusing...even after reading the op from the other thread even the op was a bit confused before he just accepted and wrote the timeline.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    So why would the moons and years go from light to dark but the eras go from dark to light...???
    YES. I posted this exact question ages ago and it was overlooked entirely because the Dusty Tomes don't actually have grammatical errors, just some logical inconsistencies.

And now we're discussing it.

In real time.

And we're coming to the same issues without my spurning them on.

I love this forum.

Let's leave that other thread dead for now, though. Feel free to drag the relevant information here. I don't even feel like the same Moose who wrote that last year - and we certainly know more than we did before.
    (3)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 03-14-2013 at 02:57 AM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast