Player
    Character
    Kate Cade
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50

City of Nym [Anonymoose]

I was looking around GamerEscape and found the following one sentence article: Nym.

The page for Oschon lists him as the Guardian of Nym (also added by you). In both cases, there's no citations listed on the page. It looks like the reference may have been a passing one, since the only places I see it referenced are player names and by you.

Do you recall where you saw that information at?
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Mementus Veventus
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    There was a NPC that showed up during(or before i'm not sure) the final hours of the game. He spoke of the Guardians and which cities worship which guardians. Nym was one of them. I remember tipping Moose off about that one =P

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...l=1#post874895
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    EDIT: That Lalanator is quick with his replies, yeah? I bury my nose in my books for one second that the little dragoon flies right by. (♫ Watch him close, tiny lancer ♪)

Anyway, he's right. What's up with Nym? Don't I wish I knew!

In the final days of 1.X, The Mythril Eye's senior editor, Havak Alvak, started hanging around Milvaneth Sacrarium going on about the Twelve. His explanations were expanded from what we'd heard before. In this, he said of Oschon:

Quote Originally Posted by Havak Alvak
    Oschon, the Wanderer. He presides over peaks and is patron to travelers and transients. People pray for His protection prior to peregrinating. It is said He used to indulge the inhabitants of the immemorial city of Nym.
    Aside from this, we only have one mention - the Monk relic quest guildleve, "Wanted: Striped Lightning"

Quote Originally Posted by Leve Description
    A party of historians searching for the ruins of Nym─a civilization that prospered on Vylbrand during the Fifth Astral Era─has recently found itself the victim of brutal attacks waged by a small group of bandits and their pet coeurl. <snipped>
    Once arriving, the Horn and Hand Isleguard says:

Quote Originally Posted by W'mhelgo Hena
    Hm? Oh yes, your orders. An intrepid gaggle of historians were blundering about the area looking for the legendary lost city of Nym or some such, when they fell prey to a band of bloodthirsty brigands.
    Aaaand that's all we got (as far as I know).
    (19)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 03-26-2013 at 12:52 AM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Kate Cade
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Thanks to both of you.

That's about as much information I expected to get, but I was hoping there'd be more. Given that Ul'dah and Gridania both had an ancient city or ruined city nearby (Sil'dih and Gelmorra), I was expecting there to be one near Limsa Lominsa, but I wasn't able to find any obvious references. With what you supplied, Nym on Vylbrand fits as the LL analogue.

With Nym being a civilization that prospered during the Fifth Astra Era, what dates do we have related to the establishment of Ul'dah, Gridania, and Limsa Lominsa? What about the establishment/abandonment of Gelmorra and the establishment/destruction of Sil'dih? Do we have enough information to piece together a rough timeline of existences? Nym seems to be the first one described as ancient, with Sil'dih seemingly more recent (due to the co-existance with Ul'dah, though I'm obviously not certain when Ul'dah was established). Where would the rise and fall of Gelmorra be?

Based on the available text and my limited knowledge, it looks like Nym will exist as an ancient city, Gelmorra as an abandoned city, and Sil'dih as a destroyed city. The lack of any references to Nym in the "original" game (references are contained to an End of an Era NPC and the Relic Leve) make it appear as though Nym may not have originally been part of 1.0's lore, which makes me feel like we'll be hearing more about it in the future (compared to Sil'dih, which was mentioned during the Miner quests and Gelmorra, that had a location on the map).

At least, maybe the knowledge of it will extend outside of an NPC that doesn't exist an a Relic Leve!
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Luca Abbot
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there some concept art/screenshot they showed that looked like a destroyed Ul'dah? I'll look for it, because I'm pretty sure it was actually Sil'dih...
    (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    Thal's Balls! These forums are hot enough to melt an ice goddess.

Player
    Character
    Kate Cade
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there some concept art/screenshot they showed that looked like a destroyed Ul'dah? I'll look for it, because I'm pretty sure it was actually Sil'dih...
    They certainly could be. They're on the website, in the Ul'dah section (if these are the pieces of concept art you're talking about).

While trying to remember where those were located, I came across this image:

It is labeled as a "dungeon" concept. That looks sort of city-ish...and the background looks Vylbrandy...it also seems to be similar in concept to Limsa Lominsa (a floating city connected by towers). Maybe that was one of their concepts for Nym.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by CyrilCade View Post
    With Nym being a civilization that prospered during the Fifth Astra Era, what dates do we have related to the establishment of Ul'dah, Gridania, and Limsa Lominsa? What about the establishment/abandonment of Gelmorra and the establishment/destruction of Sil'dih? Do we have enough information to piece together a rough timeline of existences? Nym seems to be the first one described as ancient, with Sil'dih seemingly more recent (due to the co-existance with Ul'dah, though I'm obviously not certain when Ul'dah was established). Where would the rise and fall of Gelmorra be?
    This the only clue we currently have, but I'm willing to bet my pet mammet that there will be more in ARR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    Fun Fact: We just translated a quest last week which touches upon the Gridanian standard and the TRUE meaning behind the twin snakes. It actually originated fiv-- Uh... The loremaster's giving me the evil eye... I think I'll stop right here...

Sorry I can't divulge any further, but rest assured, more info is coming.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Y'ahte Tia
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    While trying to remember where those were located, I came across this image:

It is labeled as a "dungeon" concept. That looks sort of city-ish...and the background looks Vylbrandy...it also seems to be similar in concept to Limsa Lominsa (a floating city connected by towers). Maybe that was one of their concepts for Nym.
    That could certainly be from Coerthas, that looks like it's got the same structural form as Ishgard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
    There is a VIDEO of the Sil'Dih Excavation Site if it helps
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    If you look at the upper left image here, I do believe I see La Noscean cliff renders in the background.

(5)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 03-26-2013 at 12:34 PM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Yowyow Estac
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 60
    Its North La Noscea / Ruins Dungeon. They posted concept arts of North La Noscea a long time ago in the concept art pdf. The other 1 looks more like something related to another zone entirely or inside of a dungeon maybe.
    (3)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast