Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80

Ligatures in Eorzean text

Here's one I've been thinking about ever since making my fonts, and I think it's gonna need Ferne to intervene to put any sort of official consensus.

Are there words in Eorzea that, given their IRL etymology, would be more "properly" written using ligatures but for ease of game programming have been separated into digraphs? ("properly" is maybe a bit of a loaded word here since usage changes frequently through history, and often for the same reason as above, that printing presses or computer fonts didn't include the symbols so substitutes were made)

For example:

Aetheryte vs. Ætheryte (with the origin obviously coming from the notion of "ether" being the substance filling the heavens)
    Roegadyn vs. Rœgadyn

I know based on previous inquiry not to expect anything to be changed in game or the ligatures to be included in an official font if one gets released, but I was curious about it. And we have a lore forum now and I'm gonna use it, dagnabbit!
    (10)
    Check out my Eorzean fonts! - Twitter: @MyrandaFFXIV
    http://dachoutom.no-ip.org/ffxiv/fonts.html
    The Astronomical Society of Eorzea!
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/142965-The-Astronomical-Society-of-Eorzea

Player
    Character
    Llen Coram
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    I bet you have amazing handwriting...

You make me sick. (not really)

Gods I'm so jealous D:. My handwriting hasn't been good since grade 4.
    (2)

Thanks for the post Myranda!

Way, way back before Eorzea was even Eorzea, and rapture still filled our young hearts, the loremasters and I had a discussion about using 'special' characters. And, while we were all for it, the programmers were not, so we simply chose to use modern-day representations.

NOW, if one were to, let's say, make their OWN font...they COULD smash some As or Os into Es, toss umlauts about like they were strawberries on a bowl of toasted oat Os (part of your balanced breakfast), or thrust another stroke into your d, reforging it into an Eth worthy of the gods.

Hydaelyn? Or Hydælyn?

You know which is right
    (34)

Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    Thanks for the post Myranda!

Way, way back before Eorzea was even Eorzea, and rapture still filled our young hearts, the loremasters and I had a discussion about using 'special' characters. And, while we were all for it, the programmers were not, so we simply chose to use modern-day representations.

NOW, if one were to, let's say, make their OWN font...they COULD smash some As or Os into Es, toss umlauts about like they were strawberries on a bowl of toasted oat Os (part of your balanced breakfast), or thrust another stroke into your d, reforging it into an Eth worthy of the gods.

Hydaelyn? Or Hydælyn?

You know which is right
    Our shields can't repel flavor text of that magnitude!! The reply is greatly appreciated, Ferne. ^^

For those interested parties, my fonts do already include ae and oe ligatures and of course umlauts as well. Eth is only in Script so far, I haven't added it to Cursive. Script may even have a Thorn in its side, if ye truth be told...

Edit: Whoops, how did that happen???? I seem to have slipped and my tablet pen just bounced around in such a way that eth and thorn are in both fonts now!
    (5)
    Last edited by Myranda; 03-15-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/142965-The-Astronomical-Society-of-Eorzea

Player
    Character
    Maelina Sylfei
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 64
    I think I'm going to use Myranda's fonts in my next report just to see me boss cross his eyes.
    I mean, the font is so awesome, he ought to be able to decipher it with some time.
    (2)
    LOL cash shop! SE's way to tell their player how they appreciate them... pull the carrot and empty your pockets $$$
    And to those who support it: you are kicking yourselves. -- We just need to sit back and laugh at people with cash shop items.
    (Marvelous economics IQ test!)

Player
    Character
    Shon Totto
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    I just noticed the rapture reference <_<
    (0)

┬─┬︵/(.□.)╯ Russian Table

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Godsleftsock View Post
    rapture
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    rapture
    Don't even get me started.
    I've gone on many a rant about how sad I am that I never got to hang out here:

It was even the focus of a long-forgotten "Pre-2.0 Announcement" rally of mine, seeking to add a subterranean tavern in Ishgard that'd have this aesthetic vibe as a testament to the Dev. Team and players who brought it all full circle from Rapture to a functional XIV...

But then the whole game turned into that testament for ARR and I'm still out a badass tavern made of different colored tan and greenish-hued stone bricks, with potted fauna, dim lighting, and elaborate, decorative wrought iron all over the damn place... maybe a little soft harp and hapi drum music and running water... Damnit, you've got me all nostalgic again. Curse these wonderful tech demos.

</em harumphs and wistfully goes to watch Agni's Philosophy again>
    (7)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 04-24-2013 at 01:35 AM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Forgo Tego
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    Don't even get me started.
    I've gone on many a rant about how sad I am that I never got to hang out here:

It was even the focus of a long-forgotten "Pre-2.0 Announcement" rally of mine, seeking to add a subterranean tavern in Ishgard that'd have this aesthetic vibe as a testament to the Dev. Team and players who brought it all full circle from Rapture to a functional XIV...

But then the whole game turned into that testament for ARR and I'm still out a badass tavern made of different colored tan and greenish-hued stone bricks, with potted fauna, dim lighting, and elaborate, decorative wrought iron all over the damn place... maybe a little soft harp and hapi drum music and running water... Damnit, you've got me all nostalgic again. Curse these wonderful tech demos.

</em harumphs and wistfully goes to watch Agni's Philosophy again>
    weirdly enough i heard the anger in that post while i read it.....I think i've lost it...finally after all this time lost it...oh well here's to good health!! *Downs a bottle of rum and passes out*
    (2)
    "I care nothing about who dominates the land, For me and my brethren will forever rule the skies." Forgo the Forgotten Dragoon
    Credit goes to Denmo and Nique from Masamune for this art :3

Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Didn't think I'd ever be reviving this thread again, but now I need some new clarification!

Having watched the E3 interview with Ferne about pronunciations, it was let slip that the Roegadyn language is based on (but not exactly) an old German form. I know that in modern German they don't use Œ/œ, and the oe digraph instead is often a way to type ö (umlauted o) for computer typing reasons and using œ would technically be improper in that case. So does this mean that rather than Rœgadyn it should be written Rögadyn? Both ö and œ share more or less the same sound (mid front rounded vowels) so it won't really affect pronunciation too much I know, but I love digging into this stuff and I know there just might be an answer! Or maybe the answer is that it should stay as a digraph??

At least I'm confident we have ætheryte and Hydælyn squared away.

(Also from the interview I realize it may be a while until Ferne can get back to us on this one...)
    (3)
    Last edited by Myranda; 06-25-2013 at 10:07 AM.