Player
    Character
    Au Gratins
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80

Male Sunseeker Miqo Surnames?

So, I read the naming conventions. I saw they don't take on their family name because they are their own start to a new family.

It says that in place of a family name, they are given one based on their position in the tribe- which can either be Nuhn or Tia.

As a roleplayer, my character wasn't really part of any real tribe for a few different reasons. Is that breaking lore, then? Or rather, my character being a sunseeker male and not part of a tribe- do you think it's normal he'd just adopt his mother's family name?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    If he had voluntarily departed his tribe, he probably would have adopted an alias in order to drop the connection properly.

IRL, names are things you are born with, rather than things you choose.

Also, if he adopted his mother's surname, he would be simultaneously adopting his grandfather's forename. I'm not sure that is what you are looking for.
    (3)
    Last edited by Catapult; 03-12-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Player
    Character
    Y'ruh Tia
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Catapult View Post
    If he had voluntarily departed his tribe, he probably would have adopted an alias in order to drop the connection properly.

IRL, names are things you are born with, rather than things you choose.
    With this in mind, during character creation we temporarily play as the parent naming the child. The only difference being that parents can't choose their child's race or specific appearance.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukkirii View Post
    I'll save you Yoshida!

/casts Raise

When the Seekers of the Sun came to Eorzea from their homelands, there were only 26 tribes. Since that time, there have been some males who, instead of defeating their tribe's nunh and becoming a breeding male by normal means, opt to leave the tribe and form their own. However, it is rare for female Seekers of the Sun to follow these males, so these newly formed tribes almost always die out.

This does not mean that it doesn't happen.
    If a male leaves to form his own tribe, he will replace the letter from his original tribe (for example, the "Y" in Y'shtola) with a new one. Since the 26 letters of the Eorzean alphabet are already taken, the new tribal prefix will be often be two letters (Ma -> Ma'shtola) which are of the tribe-forming male's choosing (and all people in his tribe will use that same prefix).

His last name will be Nunh, as he is now the new breeding male (as designated by himself) of his new tribe.

While not impossible (people can do what they want with their names), a Seeker of the Sun choosing his mother's name to be his last, would amount to shunning his culture and adopting the rules of the Keepers of the Moon. There will be some Seekers of the Sun who will respect this, but others who frown upon it.

Hope that helps!!
    (37)

Player
    Character
    Au Gratins
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Thanks so much, Ferne! I'm learning so much, and I'm really happy you guys have put up all this lore for us.

Can I ask though, [as far as RP history has gone thus far, I am not sure if I should change it yet or not]. What if the Seeker of the Sun male left his tribe, but not necessarily to form another. Is he still technically given the Nuhn surname?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Xenedra Allard
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 60
    Does the "Ma" in your example mean that the male, previously a Y/jaguar has changed his guardian animal to a Marmot or is it another?

Additionally, what about the clans in where ever the Miqo'te originated or in Garlemald? Did they use different animals, or are there repeats from continent/nation to continent/nation? ARE there traditional tribes in Garlemald or were they maybe all brain washed into the soldier horde?
    (3)
    Last edited by Xenedra; 03-12-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Player
    Character
    Y'ruh Tia
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 90
    My question for Fern: if some of our discussions pose a question where you'll have to create an answer, will you add to the lore posts accordingly? I think that note above should be added to the Miqo'te naming conventions post.
    (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukkirii View Post
    I'll save you Yoshida!

/casts Raise

Player
    Character
    Alec Temet
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 70
    I could be reading this wrong, but I believe the implication is that there is no such thing as a tribeless Mi'qote, even if you are a tribe of one. You can always choose to ignore that heritage, history, and culture - as many people in real life do as well - but it would probably be seen as a dishonerable choice by anyone in the original clans. I'm unsure how strongly Mi'qote hold tradition above independence, so Ferns will have to come back to be sure.

That being said, tribal societies tend to be very tightly nit, and anyone going against percieved social norms is considered a devient, possibily even dangerously so.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Nalo Uramuha
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    From a purely functional perspective since there is a required surname in the game, should male seekers fill in their character names with either Tia or Nunh only? If not then what should they put in? And what happens if you change rank :/
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Llen Coram
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    So much happy I can't even contain it. I haven't had my lorebone tickled like this since Eve's Chronicle stories. Thank you Ferne.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast