Character
    Maelina Sylfei
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 64

Impossibility to change region

Hello,

I'm not too sure where to post this, but since it says...
    The purpose of this forum is for players to submit feedback and suggestions related to the FINAL FANTASY XIV official forums, The Lodestone and other official websites concerning FINAL FANTASY XIV. In order for us to be able to offer a better service, we would like to hear your opinions.

... I'll try it here.

Last year, I moved from Canada to Japan (for a long long time).
    So, I decided to update my Square Enix account so that I wouldn't have to convert money (yen to Canadian dollars to American dollars -- because I've only got a Canadian credit card) to pay for ARR. In Japan, it is extremely difficult to send money abroad without paying insane fees.

Long story short, there is no option to do so and here is the reply of the support centre:
    Thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX support,

Unfortunately that service is not available at this time. Suggestions from our customers are always valued. While we cannot guarantee implementation we will surely pass this on to the developers.
    Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.

I sincerely hope it has been passed to the developers.
    However, in the meantime, what am I supposed to do?
    • Will it be possible to buy FFXIV:ARR prepaid cards at convenience stores and would it be compatible with my North American account?
    • Would it possible to simply create a new account and have my characters transferred? (as a temporary work around until we can effectively change the region of our account)
    • Or... what choice do I have?

Thank you very much for your help.
    The support centre is very difficult to deal with as they always give unclear and evasive answers.
    (0)
    LOL cash shop! SE's way to tell their player how they appreciate them... pull the carrot and empty your pockets $$$
    And to those who support it: you are kicking yourselves. -- We just need to sit back and laugh at people with cash shop items.
    (Marvelous economics IQ test!)

Player
    Character
    Larek Darkholme
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    I have a European game and account but I use a Japanese credit card and I don't have any issue.
    But I am not sure if konbini card can be used on other accounts...
    The best is really to mail them and ask, they should be able to assist I think
    (0)

Larek Darkholme @ Ragnarok

Player
    Character
    Maelina Sylfei
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 64
    Quote Originally Posted by Hysterior View Post
    I have a European game and account but I use a Japanese credit card and I don't have any issue.
    But I am not sure if konbini card can be used on other accounts...
    The best is really to mail them and ask, they should be able to assist I think
    When you pay with your Japanese credit card, the money in converted to euro or is it simply paid in yen regardless of the exchange rate and without oversea fees?

Also, I don't have a Japanese credit card yet. Banks do not trust foreigners it seems and since my Japanese is lacking, it's kinda hard to inquire about it too.
    (0)
    LOL cash shop! SE's way to tell their player how they appreciate them... pull the carrot and empty your pockets $$$
    And to those who support it: you are kicking yourselves. -- We just need to sit back and laugh at people with cash shop items.

Player
    Character
    Larek Darkholme
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakiamiie View Post
    When you pay with your Japanese credit card, the money in converted to euro or is it simply paid in yen regardless of the exchange rate and without oversea fees?

Also, I don't have a Japanese credit card yet. Banks do not trust foreigners it seems and since my Japanese is lacking, it's kinda hard to inquire about it too.
    I pay in yen, no conversion.

And for your bank I advise you Citibank, they do welcome foreigner
    If you are in Tokyo I can give you english-speaking staff contacts
    (0)

Larek Darkholme @ Ragnarok

Player
    Character
    Maelina Sylfei
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 64
    Quote Originally Posted by Hysterior View Post
    I pay in yen, no conversion.

And for your bank I advise you Citibank, they do welcome foreigner
    If you are in Tokyo I can give you english-speaking staff contacts
    I'm in Kansai. I'll try Citibank then, my Japanese teacher also told me to give it a try, haha.
    Thanks!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Santori Zhonets
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    Yes, the inability to change an account's billing region is inconvenient. SE customer support told me I could only create a new account in the new region (and IIRC lose my existing character).

My situation currently straddles EU / NA. Somehow SE's payment system didn't seem to support direct billing of a card from another region, but I could buy Crysta and apply that to the account. Not convenient, but it worked. I plan to check with SE again once billing resumes.

P.S. It's not just SE, though. My Xbox account/region was also locked to the original country.
    (0)