Player
    Character
    Sylve Lowen
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90

Magitek infusions?

So I unfortunately don't have any screenshots, but I remember back during 1.0 there was an NPC off in a somewhat hidden corner of the bridges that wrapped around the Mizzenmast that went on about Garleans infusing their bodies with Magitek in order to strengthen themselves. This was something that always sort of piqued my interest, as I've always loved the idea of man and machine merging together. She was incredibly vague as well and off the beaten path, so I liked to think there was some form of truth to her statements.

Numerous things came to mind from her statements, ranging from stimulants or implants that could enhance one's physical and mental capabilities, to the concept of replacement limbs. (A personal favorite of mine. I can only hope that one day my character can have his Magitek Prosthesis. Hehehe.)

Do Garleans really infuse themselves with Magitek? And if so, to what extent? Is it only on a small scale? Or does the technology (or at least the ability) to emulate lost limbs via prosthetics exist in Eorzea? I know a little theory between some friends and I is that even Cid has a Magitek prosthetic under that big clunky glove of his that he never takes off.

But if those questions can't be answered right now, will there be any confirmation or elaboration on the concept with the release of a Realm Reborn? Or is this something that was never really intended to be expanded upon and has been scrapped entirely?
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    It occurs to me that Gaius and Nael have never shown us any skin, Darth Vader-style.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Sylve Lowen
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Catapult View Post
    It occurs to me that Gaius and Nael have never shown us any skin, Darth Vader-style.
    Crazy magitek robot legs would explain Darnus's insane speed.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    You're in luck! This text was catalogued o'er at GamerEscape's wiki. Here's the part you're mentioning:

Quote Originally Posted by Merewina
    The Garleans are an enigmatic race of people from a massive empire situated to the north and east of Eorzea, and despite coming from a realm so large, remarkably little is known about them. As few have ever seen them without their armor, rumors about their physical makeup are many, some of the more "coloful" claims being that they implant machina in their bodies to improve agility and strength, and that they possess a third eye allowing them to see in all directions at once. Though, I would assume there is little truth to these sailor's tales.
    I'm not quite sure what to make of it! They could just be rumors based on the fact that Gaius has the Spider-man wrist shooters and the third eye on his helmet, but you never know. The only thing that doesn't seem to be standard armor is their masks. I'm not sure what's up with those. Are they filtering something out or adding something in?

As for Darnus' speed, I just assumed that he was using the power lent to him from Bahamut (along with the ability to Megaflare). Either that or those belt attachments that make him look like a Gundam sans the entry codpiece thing actually do have propulsion devices.
    (1)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 02-17-2013 at 06:41 PM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Xenedra Allard
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 60
    I gotchu man:
    (3)