Thread: Guildhest

Player
    Character
    Reinheart Valentine
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 86
    Fern can be a NPC mob running around or controlling F.A.T.E NM and bashing our heads... I know that name from the forums /smash! 9999 damage.

BTW, Fern thanks for explanation. Always looking forward to reading your version of the blog post
    (8)
    Last edited by Reinheart; 02-16-2013 at 04:02 AM.

Player
    Character
    Y'ruh Tia
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    This thread is on fire~♪
    She's on fire!

This is a whole other can of tunnel worms.
    Tunnel Worms announced for ARR!

Ok, I'm done. And I'm glad we got an explanation about the new phrase. I'm sure most of us will either get used to it or get used to abbreviating it. Since XIV won't have its own voice chat, I don't expect speaking it aloud will be such a huge problem.
    (7)
    Last edited by Yrusama; 02-16-2013 at 01:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukkirii View Post
    I'll save you Yoshida!

/casts Raise

Player
    Character
    Y'ruh Tia
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 90
    Been spending the past few days tending to a tiny ahirman recently summoned from the void...but thought I'd chime in from the old homestead...
    Forgot to ask, does this mean {Congradulations!} are in order? I demand a baby Ahriman pet in ARR!
    (7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukkirii View Post
    I'll save you Yoshida!

/casts Raise

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Maybe I'll get used to it in time, but I, too, had a negative first-impression of "guildhest."

I think it's an innate discomfort brought on by the fact that "behest" is a very common word, even today, so to use its archaic form in conjunction with anything just sounds like a ham-handed portmanteau.

My brain, at least, pretty much just assumed that the "be" was cut off and the rest was glued onto Guild like a suffix, which sends a signal right to that area of the brain that stores subconscious English language patterns ("'kn can start a word, but it'll never end one") and kicks it right in the rolanberries.

What I don't get is, if it's an extension of 1.X's behest system (implying that behest as we knew it is gone) why can't we just keep calling it behest? I understand it'll be pretty different - but the same can be said about a lot of things; the main scenario, materia, battle regimens...

I'm sure I'll get over it, but first impressions this is like coming back to "Primario" quests or chaining our "Battameatavegimens."

Also, yay tunnel worms! I miss those goofy little goobers in my dungeons (SO LONG AS THERE IS AN AOE SILENCE IN THE GAME NOW. IF THERE'S NOT, SCREW TUNNEL WORMS).

Quote Originally Posted by Tobalito View Post
    Are we really complaining about the name of a feature?? really??! im speechless.
    That's just a testament to how much the game has improved; although, this thread has conducted itself very little like a QQ or Rage thread. There's some outright abuse of the team's work in the forums on occasion, but I think this is more along this lines of just saying "...really? Am I alone, here?"
    (6)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 02-16-2013 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Grammar Legatus
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Razzana Kustodi
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    The German term "Gildengeheiß" isn't better than 'guildhest'.... Maybe it's a more accurate translation to the japanese (guild order) but nobody says "Geheiß". I even had to look it up in a lexikon^^

- a German native
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Isidula Granviir
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    There are multiple reasons why we decided to coin this term and use it in game.

1. The new guildhest system is an extension of the behest system that existed in 1.0 (complete with battlewardens), so we wanted a similar name.

2. Story-wise, the guildhest operations are all conducted by the Adventurers' Guild, so we wanted a name that conveyed this point as well.

3. The system is somewhat similar to the guildleve system (also run by the Adventurers' Guild) so we wanted a name that worked well when used next to guildleve. Since we chose an archaic term for guildleve ('leve' is the archaic word for leave (permission)) it seemed only natural to do the same thing for this system ('hest' is the archaic word for behest (command)).

And so we went with guildhest─a party-based instanced operation you participate in at the Adventurers' Guild's behest.
    Well when you say it this way, it sounds like guildhests won't be that different from behests, unless leves have changed significantly. I don't personally care that much, I found behests to be enjoyable, but it sounded like they were going to be completely different, not even recognizable. And I find the name to be weird, but I can just call it derphest and get a cheap laugh or two, that'll make up for it .
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Katja Baladeva
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70
    This thread is on fire~♪
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrusama View Post
    I had this in my head instead :x http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J91ti_MpdHA (and will now be in my head for the rest of the day...)

Thank's for the insight into the name, and the process Fern very interesting!
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Rane Farstrider
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Been spending the past few days tending to a tiny ahirman recently summoned from the void...but thought I'd chime in from the old homestead to give you some insight into the method behind our madness.
    Congratulations on your new baby ahriman!! And good luck!

Man, the teething period is going to be hell! ...ooh, God, and the feeding.

If I was to open a used electronic appliance store, I wouldn't even dream of calling it "Hard Off," but someone in Japan did, and no one blinked an eye.
    I'm going to sound juvenile for saying this, but I don't care: the first time I saw the sign for Hard Off, I couldn't stop laughing. I mean...I know: English expressed in Japanese is Japanese, just as when an English speaker says karate (kuh-RAH-dee), it's English. But I just couldn't get over the fact that the name of their store was this close to being obscene, not to mention the creative images it conjured.

I had just regained my composure when I walked through the door and was greeted with this little jingle. It was like someone was trying to make me break down laughing in public.

Over the years I got used to Hard Off, and now I can listen to their jingle without even cracking a smile. Actually, Hard Off is pretty great. They have a lot of interesting used stuff there for cheap (by Japanese standards). I ended up buying a used TV from Hard Off back in 2006 that would have been way, way out of my price range had I gotten it new. It was really big and I didn't have a car, so the two clerks working there offered to drive it over to my apartment at closing time. Super nice of them!

In 2010 the Hard Off in my wife's hometown went out of business, and I almost shed a tear. Here's to you, Hard Off!

(7)

Player
    Character
    Fonzworth Bentley
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by HiirNoivl View Post
    Guildhest just looks ugly. I don't think that name is going to make it.
    G-Hest... Haven't read this forum, but I had G-Hest in my head when I read ur comment Hiir. Or Guhest Gu-hest Guest... Guest rolls off the tounge
    (0)
    Last edited by FonzworthBentley; 02-16-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Player

This thread is on fire~♪

Been spending the past few days tending to a tiny ahirman recently summoned from the void...but thought I'd chime in from the old homestead to give you some insight into the method behind our madness.

I know it has already been mentioned Ferne, but congratulations and thank you for taking the time to addressing this (I'm with the rest though, it doesn't......flow off the tongue very well). So with Beta and a new addition you should be getting about 1.5 hours of sleep a night, maybe?
    (3)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast