Thread: Guildhest

Player
    Character
    Estelomo Claustrada
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Yes, it gave me pause as well, not only due to its clunky nature, but also due to its curious composition: I don't know much about Behest/Guildhest but does it truly center around a guild or guilds?

Naturally, I will use the acronym GH whenever I need to refer to the activity, so at least I can cope with this decision. With that said, my right eyebrow will twitch every time i say the name in its entirety. Guildhest - *twitch* - Guildhest - *twitch*.
    (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teryaani View Post
    None of you are real. You're all just cats pounding on a keyboard, and using ELIZA software when in TS3/Vent.

Player
    Character
    Sav Alithos
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    According to dictionary.com, hest is just an archaic form of behest.
    (2)

This thread is on fire~♪

Been spending the past few days tending to a tiny ahirman recently summoned from the void...but thought I'd chime in from the old homestead to give you some insight into the method behind our madness.

So, why guildhest?
    What does that even mean!?

There are multiple reasons why we decided to coin this term and use it in game.

1. The new guildhest system is an extension of the behest system that existed in 1.0 (complete with battlewardens), so we wanted a similar name.

2. Story-wise, the guildhest operations are all conducted by the Adventurers' Guild, so we wanted a name that conveyed this point as well.

3. The system is somewhat similar to the guildleve system (also run by the Adventurers' Guild) so we wanted a name that worked well when used next to guildleve. Since we chose an archaic term for guildleve ('leve' is the archaic word for leave (permission)) it seemed only natural to do the same thing for this system ('hest' is the archaic word for behest (command)).

And so we went with guildhest─a party-based instanced operation you participate in at the Adventurers' Guild's behest.

But why can't you just make it the same as the Japanese!?

This is a whole other can of tunnel worms. And it's best explained by starting with how we do namings for FINAL FANTASY XIV.

I may have mentioned this before in another forum post, but most all of the naming in the game, be it systems, places, monster names, NPC names, actions, monster attacks, items, whatever, is handled by the lore team, of which this voidsent is a member

When the development team comes up with anything new, they hand it to us, and we decide not only on a name, but how that 'thing' is to fit into the world's lore without making it seem out of place. When deciding on a name, we try to choose something that would seem natural in the world we've created (while also sounding kick-ass, whenever possible). On most of the issues, we agree. On other issues we don't, so we go back and kick around more ideas until we do agree. And once we've settled on something, we pass it along to Yoshi-P for one final check.

Coming to an agreement can be tricky sometimes. A lot of Japanese people seem to have a love affair with the English language, and use it everywhere, be it on detergent labels, in pop songs, on candy wrappers, in restaurant names, and especially in games. The problem is, words that sound good to the Japanese ear are often different than those which native speakers of English find appealing. If I was to open a used electronic appliance store, I wouldn't even dream of calling it "Hard Off," but someone in Japan did, and no one blinked an eye. I could also bring up a little something about bravely defaulting flying faries...but I won't.

As luck would have it, however, the case with guildhests was one where the lore team actually came to a consensus on the term in question, and was ready to use it in both langauges...until Yoshi-P decided that the word didn't sound right when phonetically transmogrified into Japanese, so he decided to go with a simpler term (guild order). However, he understood the reasons (listed above) why the EN team wanted to go with guildhest, and made the decision to allow each language (FR and DE, included) to tweak the name as they saw fit, as long as the name we chose got across that it was an order/command from the Adventurers' Guild. The minor discrepancies in naming could be covered by the auto-translate feature.

And so it was, guildhest was born.

I hope you guys enjoy the system when it's released, and I'll see you all in-game on the 25th. Feel free to harass me if you can find me
    (46)

Player
    Character
    Kluya Heiral
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    This thread is on fire~♪

Been spending the past few days tending to a tiny ahirman recently summoned from the void...but thought I'd chime in from the old homestead to give you some insight into the method behind our madness.

So, why guildhest?
    What does that even mean!?

There are multiple reasons why we decided to coin this term and use it in game.

1. The new guildhest system is an extension of the behest system that existed in 1.0 (complete with battlewardens), so we wanted a similar name.

2. Story-wise, the guildhest operations are all conducted by the Adventurers' Guild, so we wanted a name that conveyed this point as well.

3. The system is somewhat similar to the guildleve system (also run by the Adventurers' Guild) so we wanted a name that worked well when used next to guildleve. Since we chose an archaic term for guildleve ('leve' is the archaic word for leave (permission)) it seemed only natural to do the same thing for this system ('hest' is the archaic word for behest (command)).

And so we went with guildhest─a party-based instanced operation you participate in at the Adventurers' Guild's behest.

But why can't you just make it the same as the Japanese!?

This is a whole other can of tunnel worms. And it's best explained by starting with how we do namings for FINAL FANTASY XIV.

I may have mentioned this before in another forum post, but most all of the naming in the game, be it systems, places, monster names, NPC names, actions, monster attacks, items, whatever, is handled by the lore team, of which this voidsent is a member

When the development team comes up with anything new, they hand it to us, and we decide not only on a name, but how that 'thing' is to fit into the world's lore without making it seem out of place. When deciding on a name, we try to choose something that would seem natural in the world we've created (while also sounding kick-ass, whenever possible). On most of the issues, we agree. On other issues we don't, so we go back and kick around more ideas until we do agree. And once we've settled on something, we pass it along to Yoshi-P for one final check.

Coming to an agreement can be tricky sometimes. A lot of Japanese people seem to have a love affair with the English language, and use it everywhere, be it on detergent labels, in pop songs, on candy wrappers, in restaurant names, and especially in games. The problem is, words that sound good to the Japanese ear are often different than those which native speakers of English find appealing. If I was to open a used electronic appliance store, I wouldn't even dream of calling it "Hard Off," but someone in Japan did, and no one blinked an eye. I could also bring up a little something about bravely defaulting flying faries...but I won't.

As luck would have it, however, the case with guildhests was one where the lore team actually came to a consensus on the term in question, and was ready to use it in both langauges...until Yoshi-P decided that the word didn't sound right when phonetically transmogrified into Japanese, so he decided to go with a simpler term (guild order). However, he understood the reasons (listed above) why the EN team wanted to go with guildhest, and made the decision to allow each language (FR and DE, included) to tweak the name as they saw fit, as long as the name we chose got across that it was an order/command from the Adventurers' Guild. The minor discrepancies in naming could be covered by the auto-translate feature.

And so it was, guildhest was born.

I hope you guys enjoy the system when it's released, and I'll see you all in-game on the 25th. Feel free to harass me if you can find me
    Now who can argue with that ;D
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Grrr.... well at least I don't know specifically who is responsible.

I'm still gonna call it GH or just 'hest though, because the D>H progression mid-word still bugs me.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Demitra Omnis
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by HiirNoivl View Post
    Yep... Yep we are...

Lol I love your sig.
    Oh... why thank you
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Estelomo Claustrada
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    [FERNEHALWES~~~~~~~~ *victory fanfare*]
    And just like that, I am suddenly, completely, and irrevocably in love with this name decision. And now I know...where the Red (?) Ferne grows (his lorebombs).

Oh, and I just noticed...

Guildhest...

Hest...

HESTERN...

Guildhestern!

I imagine, then, that the true reason Yoshi-P approved of this name was because it had some relevance to me. Yep!

From now on, anyone who does a lot of Guildhest will be referred to as a Guildhestern. Mmmhmm! It's going to be a thing.
    (7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teryaani View Post
    None of you are real. You're all just cats pounding on a keyboard, and using ELIZA software when in TS3/Vent.

Quote Originally Posted by Catapult View Post
    I'm still gonna call it GH or just 'hest though, because the D>H progression mid-word still bugs me.
    And I'll still love you, all the same, Catapult

Thanks, as always, for the feedback. We may not agree on everything, but your opinions are always appreciated (as are those of everyone here on the LOC forums─you guys are great!). And who knows? I may just steal that 'commission' for something else coming up in the near future! /wink

(or I may just name some Hellsguard 'Bloody Catapult' and we can call it even )
    (19)

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    (or I may just name some Hellsguard 'Bloody Catapult' and we can call it even )
    Dooooo iiiiiittt!
    (5)

Character
    Hiir Noivl
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    What do you mean "if"...?
    (5)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast