Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Kyah Almasy
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50

I sort of wish players could only choose one job.

One of the first things that comes to mind when I think of Final Fantasy are the jobs, like White Mage, Black Mage, Monk, etc and that the characters were normally reined to one role and thus were indispensable for their unique abilities. (Well, for the most part that is.) It is this, I think that allows others to more readily respect and appreciate the significance of that specific role and player when it isn't so easily replaceable, or if at all. The player and their name sort of becomes renowned with that role.

I mean when if I wanted Black Magic I think of Vivi, the black mage. Martial combat? The monk, Tifa Lockhart of course. The list goes on, but if these characters were allowed to change their abilities freely, like lets say give Vivi a sword and Tifa a staff they wouldn't be as iconic to these roles as they are now.

Lastly I feel like allowing players to change their roles at will takes away from the traditional Final Fantasy experience, and overall makes it less gratifying to play a Job when you can potentially be replaced by anyone and everyone in your party at the flick of the wrist.

I feel as if the effort that comes along with making a new character for a new job that would make the Jobs feel more signifigant. The hard work only serves to bolster the sense of accomplishment once you've endured it. For example, the feeling of fulfillment for getting a weapon from a low-level dungeon is no where near as appealing than achieving a weapon from an end game dungeon. Like working hard to level a new job, there's a notoriety with earning a weapon from a hard boss.

In the end, I feel like it is this inherent "unappealing" nature of leveling and having to go through lots of work that would put a cog in the large proliferation of jobs and return that sense of accomplishment when you finally reached your level cap. Because personally, leveling in FXIV was so easy that capping out hardly phased me.

In the end, I understand why others like it and why it's detrimental to playing online, but just wanted to share why I don't particularly like it myself. Perhaps my ideals are a little dated.

Edit*
    Again, I just wanted to clarify that I am not saying I want the game to change or I think it SHOULD be this way. It's just a personal opinion on something.

What do you think? (Sorry if this is a misplaced thread, or repeat.)
    (13)
    Last edited by KyahAlmasy; 02-13-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Player
    Character
    Eisen Gramul
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 90
    I think multiple jobs is one of the things people really do want to take from XI. (or tree if we want to get pedantic about it)
    (79)
    Last edited by Gramul; 02-16-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Player
    Character
    Fluffy Pancake
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by KyahAlmasy View Post
    One of the first things that comes to mind when I think of Final Fantasy are the jobs, like White Mage, Black Mage, Monk, etc and that the characters were normally reined to one role and thus were indispensable for their unique abilities. (Well, for the most part that is.) It is this, I think that allows others to more readily respect and appreciate the significance of that specific role and player when it isn't so easily replaceable, or if at all. The player and their name sort of becomes renowned with that role.

I mean when if I wanted Black Magic I think of Vivi, the black mage. Martial combat? The monk, Tifa Lockhart of course. The list goes on, but if these characters were allowed to change their abilities freely, like lets say give Vivi a sword and Tifa a staff they wouldn't be as iconic to these roles as they are now.

Lastly I feel like allowing players to change their roles at will takes away from the traditional Final Fantasy experience, and overall makes it less gratifying to play a Job when you can potentially be replaced by anyone and everyone in your party at the flick of the wrist.

In the end, I understand why others like it and why it's detrimental to playing online, but just wanted to share why I don't particularly like it myself. Perhaps my ideals are a little dated. lol

If there wasn't so much story content or if story content progress was shared across an account I'd totally be happy with having a different character for each job. But as in FFXI, could you imagine having to do all the rank missions, RoZ, CoP, ToAU, WoTG plus the mini add-ons etc 15+ times over so all your characters had the same access to sky/sea, same access to endgame armors and whatnot?

There have been other games in the Final Fantasy series that did allow for job changing (that weren't MMOs!) and I don't feel that this took away from the game experience at all. D:

Personally I found having to level several alts in other games a pain in the butt when I wanted to just change jobs D: It sucked having to log between say 7 other alts just to be able to experience all the game had to offer (SWTOR in this case, and that being said, aside from grinding exp, SWTOR didn't have much).

While it's a nice thought to be defined by your role, with the way the modern MMO market is becoming I feel that it is a slightly archaic game mechanic; ;.

If you want to be defined for something in an MMO, make it a winning personality!

Kindness multiplies and it costs nothing~♪

Have a great night everyone!
    (29)

Act in such a way that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of another, always at the same time as an end and never simply as a means

Player
    Character
    Kyah Almasy
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramul View Post
    I think multiple jobs is one of the things people really do want to take from XI.
    Well, I'd like to hear why other player do, or don't like the multiple job mechanic. While I appreciate it's functionality toward online dynamics, it's the novelty that I feel takes away from the Final Fantasy atmosphere.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Aion Zwei
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 54
    Final Fantasy Tactics, nuff said
    (30)
    Aion Zwei - Masamune

Player
    Character
    Kouji Geki
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 58
    Well in order for that to happen SE would have to remove the more money for character slots. Make all content cake walks so the poor people who only have the one job arent left out.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Alphard Alshua
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Well, I'd like to hear why other player do, or don't like the multiple job mechanic. While I appreciate it's functionality toward online dynamics, it's the novelty that I feel takes away from the Final Fantasy atmosphere.

Doing everything over again for 10+ different classes on 10+ different chatacters and the feeling of having let's say credit for a kill or something that would be exclusive to 1 character regardless of changes to make everything "account wide" is not appealing

the fact you can do everything on 1 character is a huge plus for people that like MMOs & Final fantasy, thank god for them introducing it in the offline games first though

only people who would be against it is the people that like alts and "different appearances" and thats a minority, atleast be glad you aren't paying for your alts anymore seperately
    (28)

Player
    Character
    Alchinua Malaguld
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 61
    All classes should be available. It shouldn't be THAT easy to get to level 50 though.
    (10)
    Kweh!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayohne View Post
    Pa-paya~ paya papaya~ pa-pa-ya~♪

Player
    Character
    Kyah Almasy
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    If there wasn't so much story content or if story content progress was shared across an account I'd totally be happy with having a different character for each job. But as in FFXI, could you imagine having to do all the rank missions, RoZ, CoP, ToAU, WoTG plus the mini add-ons etc 15+ times over so all your characters had the same access to sky/sea, same access to endgame armors and whatnot?
    I see where you're coming from, the practicality of having just one job isn't as appealing or worth the effort to make an alt for another job. That and the long list of non-job related quests you have to do to progress. It's a lot to just level another job I guess.

But I think the idea of leveling a job should feel daunting, and be difficult to a reasonable degree. I mean, the reward of working hard for something is certainly far more satisfying than having something catered to me so that it's easily achievable for everyone and thus is a common commodity.

When I played WoW, if I made a new alt I had to go about leveling and unlocked everything again. Mounts, instances, and towns, but its through that journey that I would learn and become a skilled player through experience in having to solely use that job. Not just have that job at cap with little to no idea how to use it. I never felt that doing those things wasn't worth the reward of having a new job to play with. Perhaps in FFXI, I'd agree.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Melfina Amastacia
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60

In the end, I understand why others like it and why it's detrimental to playing online, but just wanted to share why I don't particularly like it myself. Perhaps my ideals are a little dated. lol

This probably comes from not playing the games prior to VI/VII. In FFIII and FFV your characters could be any job that you currently had access to, and could switch at any time for the most part. I didn't play XI, but they used something like it there as well. It's one of the things that comes to mind when many people think of Final Fantasy.

To be fair, the original versions of III and V weren't released outside of Japan, only later on other systems.

The idea was not to have iconic characters with a certain feel premade for you, but for you to make your own characters built how you want.
    (11)
    Last edited by ispano; 02-12-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast