Thread: Pronounciations

Player
    Character
    Vilhem Dijkstra
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Of curious note is how the English version of this game calls midlanders "Hyur" but the other versions call them "Hyuran". Someone suggested this was because of our tendency in English to associate -an as an adjective, so it was shortened to "hyur". I still think "Hyuran" sounds better, but then again I'm not monolingual so I can see beyond the -an thing :< lol
    (0)
    Meow

Player
    Character
    Lucke Arrayo
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 80
    Hyur = Hire
    Elezen = Elle - zen
    Lalafell = La - la -fell
    Roegadyn = Row - ga - din
    Miqo'te = Me - co - tay

My own pronunciations. hehe

Just for funs:

Hume = Hugh - em
    Elvaan = Elle - van
    Tarutaru - Tar - oo - tar - oo
    Galka = Gal - ka
    Mithra - Myth - ra
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilhem View Post
    Of curious note is how the English version of this game calls midlanders "Hyur" but the other versions call them "Hyuran". Someone suggested this was because of our tendency in English to associate -an as an adjective, so it was shortened to "hyur". I still think "Hyuran" sounds better, but then again I'm not monolingual so I can see beyond the -an thing :< lol
    Hyuran Hyur..

I think its probably a good choice to go Hyur - there is a structure to English (though my wife tells me it is not obvious lol). I'd agree it sounds like an adjective.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Vilhem Dijkstra
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Yeah that's why I'm not too confused over the change anymore. It's something that to me, as a bilingual speaker, didn't really stand out. But it actually makes some sense when reviewing the structure and patterns of English.
    (0)
    Meow

Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Shougun View Post
    Hyuran Hyur..

I think its probably a good choice to go Hyur - there is a structure to English (though my wife tells me it is not obvious lol). I'd agree it sounds like an adjective.
    I think this is a rather ambiguous case that could swing either way.

I'll provide the example of describing someone who lives in Asia as an 'asian'. In every strictest sense it probably is unequivocally considered an adjective that modifies the implied word 'person', but so often the 'person' is dropped and 'asian' sort of takes on the role of full blown noun it may as well be considered one.
    (0)
    Check out my Eorzean fonts! - Twitter: @MyrandaFFXIV
    http://dachoutom.no-ip.org/ffxiv/fonts.html
    The Astronomical Society of Eorzea!
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/142965-The-Astronomical-Society-of-Eorzea

Player
    Character
    Vilhem Dijkstra
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    An Asian is just one race of the same being, though. "Hyur" is meant to be "humans" in the fantasy world. "Midlander" and "Highlander" would be the "Asians" of this world.
    (0)
    Meow

Player
    Character
    Reinheart Valentine
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 86
    Hyur - SA
    Elezen - BU
    Lalafell- RI
    Miqo'te - GA
    Roegadyn- ....
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Myranda View Post
    I think this is a rather ambiguous case that could swing either way.

I'll provide the example of describing someone who lives in Asia as an 'asian'. In every strictest sense it probably is unequivocally considered an adjective that modifies the implied word 'person', but so often the 'person' is dropped and 'asian' sort of takes on the role of full blown noun it may as well be considered one.

Asian, Asia. Hyuran, Hyur.

In this case then you would need Hyur as a word. There is a lot of crossing and growth in the language but the often invisible structure helps lend ideas to the words that I dont think should be ignored..

Since Hyurans wouldn't be from Hyur its not exactly the same.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    An Asian is just one race of the same being, though. "Hyur" is meant to be "humans" in the fantasy world. "Midlander" and "Highlander" would be the "Asians" of this world.
    That's true, but I was just looking for a quick example word that would use the same suffix type, not really considering where it fits in the breakdown of race vs. nationality.

'Human' can also be used as both a noun and adjective (granted it doesn't get modified in any way to do so), which is more the point I'm trying to make. I'm not an English/language major by any means, but to me it could swing both ways, depending on if a noun is implied or not.
    (0)
    Check out my Eorzean fonts! - Twitter: @MyrandaFFXIV
    http://dachoutom.no-ip.org/ffxiv/fonts.html
    The Astronomical Society of Eorzea!
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/142965-The-Astronomical-Society-of-Eorzea

Player
    Character
    Goufunaki Rammstein
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Merlwyb: Maiwaifu
    Hyur: Hurr

(2)

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast