Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Jacien Visenad
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 90

For Fernes: How do you and the others think up the clever quest/achievements names?

Do you think of them randomly while you're working? Do you have a list of unused puns/pop-culture references to use in the future? Do you have meetings to determine what to use? Or all of the above?

I'm a sucker for puns and the like, and am always pleased to see creativity applied to a localization, rather than a literal translation. It was also a favorite thing of mine about the Ace Attorney series (when it was still being localized that is).

Keep at it, looking forward to your Localization Reborn works!
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Isagael Rose
    World
    Sagittarius
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 90
    My guess is they are just highly intelligent, quick-witted, well informed people who love their job and have fun. You could ask the same questions of the writers of many hit shows like SNL and the Daily Show as well. It's the same concept. People who naturally have a strong grasp on language and communication + a strong working knowledge of current topics can usually just come up with a lot of this on the fly.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Jacien Visenad
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinseykinz View Post
    My guess is they are just highly intelligent, quick-witted, well informed people who love their job and have fun. You could ask the same questions of the writers of many hit shows like SNL and the Daily Show as well. It's the same concept. People who naturally have a strong grasp on language and communication + a strong working knowledge of current topics can usually just come up with a lot of this on the fly.
    That was a boring reply.
    (1)

It is a spiritual, meditative process, in which one must contemplate the fundamental human emotions being explored in the quest, such as vengeance, fear, or even love. All facets must be embraced, for then—and only then—will you break through the wall of mystery to the perfect 80s reference.

Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon may offer some additional insight on this process.

It might also interest you to know that the Japanese quest titles, on occasion, are known to contain pop-culture references as well. However, since these references rarely make sense outside of their cultural context, we choose to make references that are more likely to be recognized—and thus enjoyed—by our target audience. This is precisely what the translators of the Phoenix Wright series did, and it's why I’ll always prefer the EN versions of those games over the JP ones.
    (21)

Player
    Character
    Master Matsume
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvinoobus View Post
    It is a spiritual, meditative process, in which one must contemplate the fundamental human emotions being explored in the quest, such as vengeance, fear, or even love. All facets must be embraced, for then—and only then—will you break through the wall of mystery to the perfect 80s reference.
    What is the sound of one hand clapping...?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jacien Visenad
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvinoobus View Post

Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon may offer some additional insight on this process.

It might also interest you to know that the Japanese quest titles, on occasion, are known to contain pop-culture references as well. However, since these references rarely make sense outside of their cultural context, we choose to make references that are more likely to be recognized—and thus enjoyed—by our target audience. This is precisely what the translators of the Phoenix Wright series did, and it's why I’ll always prefer the EN versions of those games over the JP ones.

That was great!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Master Matsume
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 50
    Why don't threads with Corvinoobus' posts in them appear with a little crown on the new posts page?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Jacien Visenad
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 90
    I was under the impression that posts get "approved" to be put into the Dev Tracker?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    The dev tracker follows posts made by the community reps.

While they are still SE staff, localisation team members and GMs/moderators are not tracked.

A conscious decision was made to remove the LOC team from the tracker since most of their posts were little more than "whoops, nice catch, we'll fix that text bug".

So whenever a powerful lore-bomb gets dropped, Bayohne has a habit of bumping it for the tracker.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Frankly, I'm amazed that none of them have put "cromulent" into the game anywhere.
    (2)
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast