Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80

A "handwritten" Eorzean font variation

UPDATES:

I've gone back through the font and fixed some of the issues the original version had. These are, for the most part, rather minor changes but the end result should be a somewhat cleaner looking font. A list of what was done is below:

Change log:
    v2.2
    -Shifted lowercase j upwards, increasing the ascender and reducing the descender to better match the official SE made Eorzean
    -new preview image showcasing updates to the glyphs and the effects of kerning

v2.1
    -Added additional accented characters
    -adjusted the oe ligatures to be more smashed together and actually ligature-like

v2.0
    -Moved file hosting to Dropbox
    -Adjusted the font's baseline/x-height/cap-height etc. to match that of the template it was originally created in
    -Accented characters now made via proper composite glyphs (greater consistency in shape and size, and allows me to add any additional accented characters much more easily for future updates. If there's an accented character you want but I haven't included, let me know)
    -horizontally flipped the glyph for "thorn" to stylistically match other Eorzean characters.
    -removed the flag/serif from the upper-left of 'M' and 'm' to more closely match the official Eorzean glyph
    -revised uppercase 'Z' to more closely match the official Eorzean glyph
    -minor shape/size adjustments to some other glyphs that I can't remember individually

Original Post:

I've been working on this for a while now and it's finally up to a level where I'd like to release it to the community:

I made a new TrueType font of the Eorzean characters with my own stylings!

Download it here (example at bottom of post)

[I've also now released a second, fancier font over in its own thread, get them both!]

I've taken quite a bit of effort to not only replicate the official Eorzean that's been released to us, but to also unofficially extend it to international character support (i.e. accented characters, umlauts, cedillas, even my interpretation of the German eszett ß). It also includes the Eorzean version of the numbers and I replaced the dollar sign with the gil symbol as seen in alpha screenshots/videos and much more.

Each character was originally drawn with the brush tool in Illustrator so its all vector based and will scale up as large as you need without any pixellization!

There are minor tweaks the perfectionist in me still wants to make some time down the road, but this is it for now as it is the first font I've ever created after all. I would however, like to know of any major problems anyone discovers with it, like missing important kerning pairs or something. Note that Microsoft Word needs you to manually check a box to use kerning in the advanced font settings every time you open it before telling me something is wrong though. I've added some tutorials on how to turn on kerning below:

KERNING AND YOU!

Kerning in Microsoft Word: http://www.ehow.com/how_6325966_acti...g-ms-word.html (uses the kerning provided by the font file, or at least I think it does)
    Kerning in Photoshop: http://www.photoshopbuzz.com/how-to-...-in-photoshop/ (optical determines kerning on its own, metrics uses the kerning in the file)

Both can manually adjust kerning between individual letter pairs if the need arises, or you could just make separate objects for each letter and rearrange to your hearts content. The need for kerning becomes most obvious in Eorzean for anything starting with a capital F since it has a huge overhang. For example, things like Fo, Fa, Fe etc. just look terrible without the kerning, but with it they tuck neatly under the F like a roof over their heads.

See the example below for a visual display of what I've said above on why kerning matters for this font.

Hope you enjoy it!

p.s. Feel free to spread it to other community sites too! I made this for everyone to use!

Example text:

Example text in normal font:
    This is an example of Eorzean Script, my first attempt at making a Final Fantasy XIV font, all at a cost of 0[gil symbol] to you.

It includes many unofficial accents, ligatures, and other symbols for international languages that can be seen in such words as naïve, façade, ætheryte, Phœnix, Tromsø, and Guildengeheiß.

Eorzean Script is best used with kerning or it will look like junk:
    (examples)

Numbers chart:
    (43)
    Last edited by Myranda; 07-02-2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: added example images, added guides on activating kerning, added link to second font thread
    Check out my Eorzean fonts! - Twitter: @MyrandaFFXIV
    http://dachoutom.no-ip.org/ffxiv/fonts.html
    The Astronomical Society of Eorzea!
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/142965-The-Astronomical-Society-of-Eorzea

Player
    Character
    Ogawa Sanshirou
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    preview!

thx!
    (0)
    Last edited by Phe; 02-06-2013 at 04:19 AM. Reason: (^.^)d

Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Phe View Post
    preview???
    Opening the TTF file should give you the standard preview of "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." but I'll work on mocking up an image to post directly in the thread soon.
    (0)
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/142965-The-Astronomical-Society-of-Eorzea

Player
    Character
    Cedri Vastal
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Example:

(0)

Player
    Character
    Meru Aradan
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    thank you so much ^^
    (0)
    Etsi cor in Chaos,
    Aut Fortuna bella ferat
    Occurram et obviam ibo.

(credit for art to Niqote)
    Eorzean poetry: a poor written poem collection on the world of Eorzea.
    http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1451382/blog/1336222/

Player
    Character
    Echo Aislin
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 50
    Wow this is so lovely. ;-; Great timing too, I've been looking for Eorzean fonts this past week.
    Thank you, Myranda.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Aislin View Post
    Wow this is so lovely. ;-; Great timing too, I've been looking for Eorzean fonts this past week.
    Thank you, Myranda.
    Yeah the only other font I've seen is someone who traced the official characters as we see them on the in-game maps etc (which I'm sure was used for the chart you posted in your awesome signatures threads). Which they did a good job, it's just that is a bit blocky for my tastes, I wanted something more a little more fluid. That and it annoyingly doesn't include the Eorzean numbers (which do officially exist) or special characters (which do not officially exist) in a matching style, both of which I've pointed out before in the LOC forums where I requested an official version of the font for fansite kits.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zehira Korrigan
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Thank you very much! Now I have to wait until ARR comes out so I can design some images with that font. ^-^
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Hayley Westenra
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    I have 6,408 other fonts, so this is a good edition to my collection.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Scarlett Dzian
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 76
    Thats Cool, Bit more stylish than the existing font i had.
    (0)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast