Player
    Character
    Kato Kinko
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50

Help on Purchasing Laptop Choices.

I'm looking to buy a laptop so I can play FFXIV:ARR when I away from my Desktop for any reason. I'm looking to buy a nice powerful laptop but I need help with with a few choices.
    I'm asking for help because unlike Desktops, Laptops are not easy to upgread and what you get is what you get normally with Laptops.
    I know the game is VERY customisable and runs a lot better then 1.0. I'm hoping to find the right build that will give me the highest settings I can get, while getting alot of FPS.
    The screen I'm getting can display 120hz and 3D. Size 17.3" Full 1080p.
    I found a nice laptop I can build at "powernotebooks.com".

Sager NP9370-3D - Gaming Laptops

Here are my choices:
    Video Card - GPU
    • Nvidia Geforce GTX 680M w/4.0GB GDDR5 Standard
    • Nvidia Geforce GTX 680M w/4.0GB GDDR5 x2 (in SLI) +$650.00

Processor
    • Intel Core i7-3630QM (2.4~3.4GHz) w/6M L3 Cache - 4 Cores - 8 Threads Standard
    • Intel Core i7-3740QM (2.7~3.7GHz) w/6M L3 Cache - 4 Cores - 8 Threads +$170.00
    • Intel Core i7-3840QM (2.8~3.8GHz) w/8M L3 Cache - 4 Cores - 8 Threads +$355.00

I would like any advice I can get. I want to be able the run the game the best I can without spending a lot of $$$! I would also like to know if any of the CPU's will give me a "bottleneck" with the SLI option?

P.S. I'm really sorry If this not the appropriate place to be asking this.
    (1)
    Last edited by KatoKinko; 01-30-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: typo

Player
    Character
    Allesasi Phoenix
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 60
    I would check out Alienware laptops, they make great gaming ones. I really don't see you needing all that power you posted after all they are making ARR so you don't need a supercomputer like XIV. Ironicly the computer power you needed to play XV more than a year ago is now afordable.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kuro L'anzce
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Go sager, more cheaper same thing as Alienware.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Melondra Lorena
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Go Alienware currently using the M18X best laptop i ever owened. Very custimizable and upgradeable, but very expensive payed 2k for mine pluse 600 for the insurance for it. Currently have a GT 560 Graphics card. Hope to upgrade the GPU to the 680 M but i here dell wont do the upgrade to it so you may be forced to do the upgrades urself if your tec-savy. If im wrong on this let me know was orginally planning on doing the GPU Upgrade.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Allesasi Phoenix
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 60
    Alienware looks better too!!!!!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Altena Trife
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    680M x2 over SLI? That is extremely overkill and you probably won't ever see a use out of both cards before your laptop dies. That sort of power is more for running full 2560x1440 or larger resolution. I am running a single GTX680 (4GB), dual monitor setup, one of them being at the aforementioned resolution and have been playing modern games (such as Farcry 3) on full settings with capped frames.

I am not sure how the benchmarks compare between the desktop 680's and the mobile versions but if it is anywhere reasonably close to the PC version then you will be capped on settings and frames with the single.

Stick with the single..

As far as CPU goes- you can easily get away with any of the i7's you mentioned in my opinion. You probably won't notice any significant difference between them to be honest. If you want bang for buck, go the 3.4..

*edit*

Another thing to note is that Laptops run hotter then PC's due to their shear size and lack of airflow. I think it is more realistic to go for the lower spec kit to try and keep those temps low.
    (0)
    Last edited by Altena; 02-03-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Player
    Character
    Vilhem Dijkstra
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    And if you can, for the love of all that is almighty...get a Solid State Drive. It will improve your game by over 9000 >_>
    (1)
    Meow

Player
    Character
    Alaula Aurelia
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 60
    Probably will end up having this thread moved... but alienware? Bleh, just a bunch of puffery, go sager~
    (0)

Player
    Eorzea―Gridania(Wutai) Vana'diel―Bastok(Lakshmi)
    Character
    Kohana Iroha
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 74
    Sager built me a piece of shit laptop that crashes after a certain period of time when playing games. Don't go sager
    (0)

Unfortunately, the system requirements for FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn have not been released yet. The closest thing I would be able to refer you to is the System Requirements for the Beta Test, which you will be able to find in the link below.

http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/detail_na.html

Keep in mind, these requirements are not for the final release and can be changed as the Beta Test progresses.
    (0)