Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Pocket Hockey
    World
    Gungnir
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    At work, in hotel rooms while I'm on hte go, in business centers when I'm waiting for customers, etc. With the restraint of traveling on a plane, I seldom check a bag, my laptop case fits in my lap and my suitcase fits in an overhead compartment. Lugging an extra laptop and it's weight, and it's power supply, isn't something I want to do. Most of hte time I go with my surface alone because it can do everything I need on the road. The surface pro, being a comparable size, would be just as good.

Also it'd be killer if someone made an ultra portable rf controller with dual analogs, that say folds up. Maybe I'll canibalize one of my wired controllers and see if I can make osmething.
    (0)
    http://www.pocket-hockey.com <-My ffxiv adventure!

Now with nVidia Surround!!!
    MicroATX Desktop - i7 950 - 12gb ram - 2x GTX580
    2x Intel 520 180gb SSD's in Raid0 - 3x 28" LCD @ 5760x1200

Player
    Character
    Cedri Vastal
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    It will have 60~ FPS with most of the features turned off.
    (0)

Player

One other thing to consider about the Surface Pro

64GB*, 128GB
    *System software uses significant storage space. Available storage is subject to change based on system software updates and apps usage.
    1 GB = 1 billion bytes. See Surface.com/storage for more details.

A lot of people are complaining that you are only getting 20-30 gigs free on the 64 GB version. (Os and other apps take up to 30 gigs) Just a heads up if you plan on getting that one.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Raxx Daini
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 60
    I have an Asus laptop with an i5 and intel HD 3000 and I was doing about 25 fps in 1.0 so it will prolly run ARR a lot better than 1.0. So you can expect with HD 4000 graphics, it will perform reasonably.
    (0)
    [/url]

Player
    Character
    Pocket Hockey
    World
    Gungnir
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    I read about the hdd size, but that's understandable. It has a 64gb ssd, the os always takes up something. Windows 8 takes up nearly 30gb on it, which isn't really the fault of hte tablet. It has an sd card slot so you could stick a card in there and leave it. A 10x 32gb card should run xiv just fine, and htat's cheaper than the extra $100 for the 128gb ssd.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Felix Valmont
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 35
    ive heard nothing but good things about AMD's A10 APU's, the link contains all the laptop vendors using the latest A10's "Link"

all A10 proccessors have a built in 7660M Graphics chip and should be able to put out medium setting @ 30FPS for FFXiV:ARR.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Pocket Hockey
    World
    Gungnir
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Those are slick, but they're big, much bigger than the surface, lack touch screens, and weigh more than twice the surface. I use the surface for work and it's important for that, if I upgrade to the surface pro it'll still be for work, but I'd like to be able to play xiv on it as well.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Terak Alonia
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by nasomi View Post
    I'm really curious how xiv could/would run on that. ... i'm curious how well that gpu will do.

If anyone has experience with it I'd be interested in hearing.
    I am running on an N53S Asus ultra laptop with intel i7 and Geforce GT 630M-2GB and it runs fine. I have noticed it is a little slower than my gaming tower due to the internet limitations on wireless links.

I am waiting for the new i9 quad core and the new GTX 780 to come out (sometime in the next few months) because the 20nm technology runs cooler, uses less power (one charge gives 8 hours play) and fits neatly into the new super-ultra laptop style. The only limitation is screen size, which depends on your preference.

ARR is designed to run on PS3, so it demands less of your computer than FFXIV-1. If you can run FFXIV-1, ARR will run just fine. I don't know about the ARR HD version. I expect it will run fine on the specs posted as minimum requirements on the Beta Test Application site.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Crim Soukyuu
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Like they said in the letters alpha was a forked build with little engine optimizations, so everything is just a speculation at this point. I know my lappy (R.I.P.) ran 1.0 on a core2duo/8600m GT at 20 fps at lowest settings and 1680x1050. Going by what they've been telling us, ARR should be less taxing. Didn't they show off the low preset on a core i5 laptop? I assumed it ran on the integrated GPU?
    (0)

[ AMD Phenom II X4 970BE@4GHz | 12GB DDR3-RAM@CL7 | nVidia GeForce 260GTX OC | Crucial m4 SSD ]

Player
    Character
    Terak Alonia
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Soukyuu View Post
    Like they said in the letters alpha was a forked build with little engine optimizations, so everything is just a speculation at this point. I know my lappy (R.I.P.) ran 1.0 on a core2duo/8600m GT at 20 fps at lowest settings and 1680x1050. Going by what they've been telling us, ARR should be less taxing. Didn't they show off the low preset on a core i5 laptop? I assumed it ran on the integrated GPU?
    yes. That was my impression also.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast