Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Azury Ariella
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90

Can we have an area with no transportation in the future?

While I completely understand the whole concept of instant transportation, it removes the feeling of a "huge world of danger and intrigue"

There was something special and emotional about ffxi. For example, having to run to Rabao on your own. You had to go through a dangerous tunnel, run through two deserts, and then in the middle of this hostile area was this pretty little oasis town.
    Or having to get norg by traversing through the jungle labyrinths.
    Even CoP requiring you to complete missions and run through a zone before you could access the tavnazian safehold.

SE has always been great at eliciting emotion. And that's one of the things that set final fantasy apart from a lot of other shallow RPGs. The world's they created were ones you -wanted- to explore. And when you ran through a wartorn area with sadness only to find a cute little village hidden in the middle of nowhere, it felt beautiful.

Even in FFXIV 1.0, the first time i managed to get to that one town west(?) of Ishguard, the one that was never used for anything really, felt amazing. I had to get past all these mobs and died multiple times (this is back in open beta), before finally managing to get through the cave.

I've always liked the idea of hidden towns, beautiful areas (ex. statues in caves), amazing places to fish or gather, and hard-to-get to places in games. For example, one of my fav spots in ffxi was in yhotar jungle by a waterfall type area, where you had to travel all the way through ifrits cauldren to reach it. And there were some quests associated with it making it really cool (as it was nearly impossible to get there solo early in the game).

FFXIV could really benefit from -some- things like that. And I realize people these days are accustomed to insta-porting everywhere. But i don't think it would hurt to have -1- area, or part of an expansion, without the teleportation. Where it feels like an accomplishment to reach certain towns or areas, and it really feels "out of the way". It would just add a nice emotional touch. And a lot of creativity could be put into it, creating an emotional experience and adventure that players would never forget.

:]
    (50)
    Mew!

Character
    Alhanelem Amidatelion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    You can have it, but a year later everyone will be demanding that this characteristic be removed from it because they've experienced everything there is to experience about it and are tired of walking across it. Not trying to be a killjoy here, but that's whats been happening for ages in XI. People explored the area once, now they just want to get where they want to go fast.
    (4)

Player
    Personally I always felt like instant warp was just implemented because the original team didn't think of anything better and it was easy.
    I mean what easier way to do it? Click a button and poof.. No additional coding required.
    No mounts, no airships, no...
    When you start adding a lot of "no's" to a game, it has the results of ffxiv, before ARR.

From what I hear, they may even have personal airships in store for us though..
    Would be a childhood dream come true for me.
    We know mounts are coming and that will help.
    If they make travel interesting, people won't dread doing it..
    They will actually look forward to it..
    Imagine that...
    (10)
    Last edited by Solace; 01-20-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Player
    Character
    Einsof Zeb
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    You can have it, but a year later everyone will be demanding that this characteristic be removed from it because they've experienced everything there is to experience about it and are tired of walking across it. Not trying to be a killjoy here, but that's whats been happening for ages in XI. People explored the area once, now they just want to get where they want to go fast.
    You're likely right. Anyone that's played FFXI can likely recall waiting 20-25 minutes for a new party member to arrive because they have to actually traverse deserts, plains and caverns to reach the location of everyone else. Even with teleport, the travel made certain aspects a plain bitch. At the same time, instant travel means you don't ever really get to see much of anything besides that near where you're going. Surely there can be a balance between the two such that there's journeying and times where quick travel is appealing too.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Mikita Nightsong
    World
    Anima
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    I hope that the way the maps start blank and unfold as you move through them will bring some of the feeling of adventure and exploration that people feel 1.0 lacked.
    (Although I'm sure there will quickly be full maps online after the first few days and people will start referring to them instead of discovering for themselves)

I also wouldn't mind some limitation on the ability to teleport someone to a place they had never been to before.

But after the first couple of times running through it, a big zone without any sort of fast travel option would just turn into a major annoyance for most people.

I used to run around Eorzea all the time and never went under 80 anima ever. But when people are waiting for me I prefer to get there as quickly as possible and having teleport points nearby was very nice.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Adell Raynes
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    I definitely have mixed feelings on this subject azury. I too played XI, and played it from launch. I loved exploring things for the first time and believe me when the stones with our god's symbols popped up I was one of the people looking for them lol!

I really think the new camps are going to be distanced almost well enough apart that teleporting to them will then let you run to your destination, just like teleporting to a crag then running to where you want to exp or event. The problem I see is anima, which I usually have enough of, but tweak it too much and we either have too much or too little.

having said that, if they want to make areas in the future that branch OFF OF the maps that have camps, and dont have camps to teleport into.... I'd be totally fine with that.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Xatsh Vei
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Limited warp I am a fan of. Say maby a few spots in each area.

I am complexity against the ability to warp everywhere... turns the game almost into a lobby/server situation.

My vote is give us 1 warp to each main area / subarea and have a mount rental or something at it. I do not like the free warps to every camp in the game.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Mikita Nightsong
    World
    Anima
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Azurymber View Post
    SE has always been great at eliciting emotion. And that's one of the things that set final fantasy apart from a lot of other shallow RPGs. The world's they created were ones you -wanted- to explore. And when you ran through a wartorn area with sadness only to find a cute little village hidden in the middle of nowhere, it felt beautiful. [snip] I've always liked the idea of hidden towns, beautiful areas (ex. statues in caves), amazing places to fish or gather, and hard-to-get to places in games. [snip] It would just add a nice emotional touch. And a lot of creativity could be put into it, creating an emotional experience and adventure that players would never forget.
    Actually, I largely agree with your post. I also like to explore. The only achievement in 1.0 I really cared about was reaching the last few Aetherytes and completing the Wanderer's Shadow with my best friend.

There were quite a few points of interest and little hidden gems in 1.0 that I think most people missed.

Having the option of exploration and discovery for those who enjoy it is very nice. But it seems that a lot of people are not really looking for that, and any game design to force it will lead to lots of complaining and dissatisfaction.
    (0)

Player

As long as its not somewhere i have to walk everyday to, it was a massive chore to walk to sky every single day from zitah. It didn't add any danger of sense of accomplishment or the world is huge because i did it alot of times, it's just pure annoyance.
    (2)

Character
    Alhanelem Amidatelion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    (Although I'm sure there will quickly be full maps online after the first few days and people will start referring to them instead of discovering for themselves)
    That won't happen because the players need to walk to those locations anyway before they can teleport to them. So you absolutely have to visit given locations at least once.
    (0)

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast