Player
    Uldah (i picked Limsa Lominsa by mistake at phase 4!)
    Character
    Undie Nilleshna
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70

What do we like from other MMORPg's

So far many of us have discussed why other online games out there have failed and the reasons why....Lets take a look at the parts of games that have worked an the reasons why theyve worked and what we think could be implemented into FFXIV at some point or other.
    For me ive always liked the guild benefit system in WoW and Guild Wars, where your linkshell by doing events, levelling, crafting etc contibute to unlocking bonuses for members of the guild. Id like to see this feature make its way into Linkshells and Free companies...Any other ideas?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sera Malqir
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    I personally loved the exploration in Mabinogi. It's what I'm always looking for in games - truly rewarding exploration.
    You could find hidden items, old ruins, lost people to guide back to town, beautiful places you only got to see by racing down that waterfall, new dungeons,..or you could get drowned in quicksand and land in a giant underground maze without a map, strong monsters and nearly unbeatable riddles.
    I've always loved exploring the vast world of MMORPGs but with most, and sadly with FFXIV 1.0 too, it was just not..rewarding in any way. If you spotted a special spot on the map and made your way there through many high level aggro mobs, most of the time, there was nothing special at all.
    Not even a rock or a plant which looked different from others, even less some actual reward.
    If ARR started treating exploration more serious, I'd be really really happy

Something else I like is the reputation system many games have, for example LotRO.
    By clearing quests in a certain area, you get additional quests, special / cheaper items in shops, NPC dialouges change, etc.
    It's not a really important thing like exploration, but it's a nice little addition

Back to Mabinogi, I also like the huge social part it had.
    Being able to create campfires, playing your own music (gosh, I wished BRD were able to do that!!), sharing food with friends, setting up tents, etc. all helped A LOT with socializing.
    Just standing around in Ul'dah talking to a linkpearl is just not the same as spending the night in a tiny igloo together with one friend playing your favorite songs, one person cooking and everyone sitting around a little fire telling stories read from ingame books while wolves creep around outside.
    I think a bit more of stuff like that would only help the immersion and not harm in any way

I also like the physics engine from Vindictus; FF is always so clean, nothing ever gets destroyed or knocked over..
    On the other hand, that's probably a good thing since Eorzea is not instanced but an open world so in the first 10 minutes of ARR the whole world would probably be destroyed by the players x)

Everything else I like from other games is already confirmed to be in ARR so no need to say it here

TL;DR
    Rewarding exploration, more options for social stuff.
    (2)

Player
    Uldah (i picked Limsa Lominsa by mistake at phase 4!)
    Character
    Undie Nilleshna
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70
    i agree the exploration side of things needs beefed up, playing GW2 personally i like the vista mechanics, where you reach a hard to find place and get rewarded with a view of the nearby land from your viewpoint.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Atoli View Post
    Something else I like is the reputation system many games have, for example LotRO.
    By clearing quests in a certain area, you get additional quests, special / cheaper items in shops, NPC dialouges change, etc.
    It's not a really important thing like exploration, but it's a nice little addition
    FFXI had this with fame - in fact, most quests were completely dependent on it (such as the RSE quest, teleport/warp/escape/sleepga spell scrolls, avatar battles etc). Unfortunately, like a lot of things in FFXI it was executed poorly.

It was annoying as all hell to have to spend a great deal of time just doing level 1ish quests over and over simply to raise your fame in that city just so you could do one or two decent quests. It was something I was glad was absent in FFXIV, and I hope never comes back with ARR.
    (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rannie View Post
    Aaaaannnd now I just had a mental image of Lahabrea walking into a store called Bodies R Us and trying on different humans.... >.<

Lahabrea: hn too tall... tooo short.... Juuuuuust right.
    Venat was right.

Player
    Character
    Mariko Aeiouk
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Blue Mage Lv 50
    Since we can jump now I liked how in SWTOR trying to find Datacrons. I'm not saying the actual Datacrons but the process of finding them. Perhaps we can find a hidden treasure chest/coffer or access to a hidden area/NM. I kinda liked doing this in TERA also but there was almost never really anything at the end of the jumps, sometimes a good view but that was it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Mikita Nightsong
    World
    Anima
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Hm... Things I like from PSO2, but not sure how they would work in FFXIV:

Variety in appearance so no one looks the same.
    The basic costumes are largely cosmetic and do not grant any stats. You improve you stats with accessory armor pieces. You can also put the armor on "stealth" mode so they aren't visible if you don't want them to be seen for aesthetic reasons.

FFXIV models are a lot more detailed and there are more races, so there is a lot more work involved for SE. But a lot of people end up looking the same in Eorzea so I'm hoping for much more variety once ARR launches.

Variety in weapons.
    Even at lower levels there is a wide range to choose from. You can also "grind" your weapons to make them stronger and add abilities to them.

I'm not really saying that a Level 1 player in FFXIV should have immediate access to awesome looking gear (although this is true in PSO2 because that is how they make money from their F2P model), but a little more variety all around in FFXIV would be nice.

Monsters that seem worth fighting.
    Even at lower levels you can still fight boss monsters that actually seem like they are worth fighting. Since everything is instanced (even multi-party areas have limits) the monsters are scalable so the stronger you get the stronger the monsters get as well. Downside to this is that you at Level 40 you are still fighting the same types of monsters you fought at Level 1.

I think FFXIV could add some monsters that don't seem like regular animals, even for lower level players.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Allesasi Phoenix
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidoh View Post
    FFXI had this with fame - in fact, most quests were completely dependent on it (such as the RSE quest, teleport/warp/escape/sleepga spell scrolls, avatar battles etc). Unfortunately, like a lot of things in FFXI it was executed poorly.

It was annoying as all hell to have to spend a great deal of time just doing level 1ish quests over and over simply to raise your fame in that city just so you could do one or two decent quests. It was something I was glad was absent in FFXIV, and I hope never comes back with ARR.
    You could have traded milicorn to the sheep herder in Selbina for fame or other npcs depending where you wanted to raise fame.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Razzana Kustodi
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    What i liked about Anarchy Online (beside the round-based fights and the mercenary system) was how easy it was to participate in PvP Arena/Tournament. At a low PvP Ranking you couldn't lose anything. At higher rank you only lost some ranking points. PvP was a way to lvl up your character (or even for crafting). It was also for low lvl players and not only end-content. And the last point is, you could easily spectate another PvP fight and also get some rewards for spectating.
    I really hope FFXIV PvP Arena will be as convenient as PvP in Anarchy Online.

Another game with a good system was Pirate King Online. You could buy different ships to fight on sea versus monsters (don't know about pvp). It was really awesome and some diversion to fighting on land. You could also buy cheap stuff in one city and sell it in another with profit (only special items, only transportable by shipping). Ah it is so long ago i played that game, i think you could also lift treasures.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    James Ruglia
    World
    Aegis
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    My favorite part of an online game is it's look and feel. I don't like SW: The Old Republic or World of Warcraft because they seem choppy, game-like, and cartoony.

I really like Final Fantasy XI and XIV, in part, because they're fluid and more "life-like" in how everything moves and responds.

On the other end of the spectrum,I also like Ragnarok Online, because it's -that- far on the end of bright and colorful, not quite "too" cutesy, but makes no effort to look or feel like anything but a chibi-fied anime.
    (0)