Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    'Enkidoh' is how 'Enkidu' was spelt in SE's original English translation of FFV for the 'FF Anthology' release on the PS1, Enkidu being Gilgamesh's companion in the ancient Mesopotamian work The Epic of Gilgamesh. I chose the name at random out of an ancient issue of EGM which had a FF guide in it originally when I needed an original username for eBay. The name stuck with me ever since (I used it also for my FFXI character).

As for my FFXIV character's surname of 'Roux', it's a French word derived from the same Latin word as the well known word 'rouge' which means 'red' (it's also the name of a cooked dish made from wheat and butter) - I thought it was appropriate given her bright red hair, but my partner had a hand in it too - he named his character's surname also as Roux first (for what reason I have no idea), so I thought it would be cute to show our characters connection to each other by also choosing Roux for my character's surname. It's a decision I now kinda regret though as he left the game ages ago and I have no idea if he's really serious about coming back for ARR. *sighs*
    (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rannie View Post
    Aaaaannnd now I just had a mental image of Lahabrea walking into a store called Bodies R Us and trying on different humans.... >.<

Lahabrea: hn too tall... tooo short.... Juuuuuust right.
    Venat was right.

Player
    Character
    Rina Inverse
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 51
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbinT View Post
    I am a huge fan of this namesake. Also close to my real name. ^.^
    you mean nobbin?
    lol

Player
    Character
    Vilhem Dijkstra
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Niqote View Post
    They wouldn't let me have 'Nique' because apparently in another supported language it's a swear word... in my haste to play I unknowingly called myself Niqote the Miqote... dang it!

Possible name change 2.0 pleases me lol

Long story short: Nique Amrita is a long running OC of mine, but Nique is my IRL nickname too ^^
    Yeah..nique in French is the equivalent of our F-bomb XD

Mine is a Germanic variant of the name "William"..."Vilhelm", but I removed the second L and just made "Vilhem" out of it.

The last name "Dijkstra" is Dutch, and is a lil homage to my friend out in the Netherlands, whom I met in summer of 2010, after 10yrs of knowing her online. :3 It' pronounced "dike + stra" and means "from the dike" '-'b
    (3)
    Meow

Player
    Character
    Wilan Serulia
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    For FFXIV, I came up with the name Wilan solely based on phonetics.
    My old nick was in english, but most of my friends (I'm from Italy) used to spell it wrong, and everytime it hurted my ears D: So when I put together Wilan I tried to make a name that sounded more or less the same in every language I knew of (check for italian, english, spanish, japanese, not completely sure about german and french) while still sounding nice enough.

As for the surname, Serulia, it does have some kind of meaning, as it comes from Cerulean, like the shade of blue's name, being blue my favourite color.

My chocobo instead is called Tilaridz, which is a slight variation of Tilarids, an old runic incision on an ancient spearhead, one of the earliest discoveries of futhark runes. The incision is speculated to be the name of the spear itself (among other hypothesis), meaning "the one which goes straight to the goal". Since my original plan of calling my chocobo Aria (Air in italian) was screwed up when I found out it was a male, I had to think of another name quickly, and Tilaridz sounded very appropriate for a Chocobo.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Thal Icebound is a name I've used in a bunch of games. Thal is German for valley, making it essentially mean valley among the ice.

It was only after character creation that I discovered the name Thal had a place in XIV lore, so I devised an XIV-specific backstory for him that had him born to parents of the over-enthusiastically zealous type in the Arrzanaeth Ossuary. It figures that he worships Menphina and would prefer to hang about the Milvaneth Sacrarium instead.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Karmello Waltz
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 70
    Outrageously geeky, but I always loved classical Greek mythology, and my own name, Andy, derives from the Greek name Andreas, which means man, or warrior. Lycaeus is a surname of deities such as Apollo [which also happens to be the name of my Chocobo] and Zeus, and has many translations, but it can mean 'of the light' or 'wolf slayer'. Andreas Lycaeus, therefore, at a stretch, can translate to Warrior of Light, plus it rhymes, and it includes my real name, which I think is cool
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Akujin Aetheoryn
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Akujin - A name I've had since I was around 15 or so, began role playing online in html format chat rooms. Akujin became my main character, basically my 'trademark' as far as that goes. Throughout the years one thing remained the same, hearing or seeing the name Akujin always related it back to me. I've used the name throughout several other games I've played because it's such a novelty to me now. Originally I was looking for unique names to use for a character model, and I came across it somewhere else. When i started to do some translations on it, since it derives from japanese words. I always came out with Aku (evil) jin (person/god) so it also suited with the character model I was using quite well.

Aetheoryn (the surname I chose for XIV) was random actually. I cant remember where I actually came up with the name originally, I thought it was latin but that may be the surname I use with Akujin currently, which is Amydh. It just suited the XIV world very well because of the 'Aether' and 'Aetherytes' that we use in game, so mostly people see it as a play on the name from there, though that was honestly by concidence.

The thing I dont understand is why people have such a hard time typing it out in game lol
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Genz Kawakami
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gensai_Kawakami

I was reading the manga Kenshin 10 years ago and found this name, except it's written "Genzai" in Kenshin.

Then I started to dislike the -ai at the end, and some people were already just calling me "Genz" so I dropped the end.

Bobbin Threadbare
    Loom! \o\
    Best game ever!
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Sera Malqir
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    So many interesting stories :3
    I think the most fascinating one was Niqote so far

Well I tend to think of the character first, then I create it and lastly try to find a fitting name.
    So with Meo I had a tomboyish, outspoken character for the first time and that's why I wanted a very direct name with simple meaning and a first name which doesn't sound too feminine.
    The most simple name would be "catgirl" but that sounds just horrible and not like a name at all.
    So I started searching for the words 'cat' and 'girl' in lots of different languages.
    I ended up with the Thai word for cat, 'con meo' and the Gaelic 'cailin' for girl aaand...basically, that's how Meo Cailin came to be
    Since English is not my native language I didn't realize for months that 'meo' is very close to the English 'meow' which is a bit annoying because everytime I discuss names with people everyone is like "Oh I know, your name is like 'meow' because you are a cat, right?!"
    I mean..no, that's not it. It's not the same. It bothers me when people say that @_@°

My companion's name is Kyle because he looks a bit like a Kyle I know in real life (male Midlander). It's also a Gaelic name (I just love them <3) and means 'straight' which fits his straightforward character rather well.

My beloved chocobo is called 'Jiro'.
    I got my chocobo like a week after my friends and everyone went with a name which ends with -o.
    Since Jiro ends with -o and is a very common pet (dog) name, that's the name he has to live with now ^-^
    (5)
    Last edited by Atoli; 01-20-2013 at 12:36 AM. Reason: typo

Player
    Character
    Gareld Mcreadie
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    My characters name is a bit of a mixture of mine and my grandmothers names.

Gareld is from my middle name, just with the a and e switched round. Mcreadie is my grandmother's maiden name, though it dropped a C. I really want to be able to add that C into my character name when 2.0 rolls around. I tried doing "McCreadie" in 1.0 but I couldn't, so I had to settle for "Mcreadie".

Edit for devs: Thats something I'd like to ask if any dev is reading this. Is there a particular reason behind why there can't be two capital letters in names? Is it possible to maybe have at least two capital letters in last names for 2.0? Odd question and request I know, but it doesn't hurt to ask
    (5)
    Last edited by PLD_Danny1989; 01-19-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Asking a question.

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast