Threaded View

Character
    Alhanelem Amidatelion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90

Get rid of eorzea time and just use real time

One of the primary reasons for both FFXI and FFXIV having game time is because the servers were all in a central location and people from a wide range of time zones around the world connected to the same servers, so game time helped make things consistent. But FFXIV is moving to regionally-located servers, so I think it would be a good idea to just have day/night match real life, with servers in each region being set to the time zone they're located in (most likely PST in the US, JST in Japan, GMT in europe).

This would also eliminate confusion between the two time systems e.g. "Is that over the next real life day / jp midnight? or is it just one game day?" and prevent the ingame date from going drastically out of line with the time the game as originally set in as the years go by (in FFXI, the game started in the 900s C.E. and the current date in game is 1166 C.E.).

I'm not really sure whether most people like this or not. What do you think?

The main idea here is simplifying the process of figuring out when to do things. It can be a little confusing having 2 time systems to think about, and the immersion breaking of NPCs having to specifically name "(Earth Time)" and "(Eorzea Time)."

The results are in, and this idea is obviously a failure. You can't say I didn't put my heart into it at least.
    (8)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-20-2013 at 04:38 PM.