Player
    Character
    Mayoi Hachikuji
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    WoW's ingame time is set to a particular time zone's real time and this doesn't really present many issues in that game. Day/night doesn't affect a whole lot in the game other than how light or dark it is outside though.

I'm pretty sure in 1.0 XIV there was just one NM that spawned based on time of day? As long as they don't get carried away with stuff like this I don't think it will impact anything much.

I think what bugged me the most in XI was how often the game threw around both real and vana'diel time, it only made things more confusing. Does this event reset every game day or every real day?

Eh, I was ballparking it. It might have been, but it couldn't have been much earlier than that, because there were Rolanberries with years in their name (e.g. rolanberry 864)
    wow seperates na/eu but SE doesn't (remember jp/na/eu will be clustered for dungeon finder thingy) and thats a huge difference.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    If gametime is mostly a visual thing then perhaps in game options you can change the option to visualize game time by personal local time or server time. With the game clock UI there is no problem figuring out what time it is in game for quests or w.e.

Obviously a convoluted option if the nights have any real importance XD
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Jacien Visenad
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenor View Post
    No thanks. Even single player games don't do this, take GTA for example. A game with a day/night cycle should not have a 24 hour game day length. Game systems can still reset based on real time however. Leve resets were locked to GMT midnight/midday before they changed the system to be more frequent, that kind of stuff can be localised.
    Xenoblade does it.

But you can change time to whatever you want because of NPC schedules.

Not that wise for an MMO.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Amiral Benson
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Shougun View Post
    If gametime is mostly a visual thing then perhaps in game options you can change the option to visualize game time by personal local time or server time. With the game clock UI there is no problem figuring out what time it is in game for quests or w.e.
    <3

That's also a feature I asked for in my French topic, setting yourself the duration of the cycle, just like in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.S. (most beautiful DirectX 10 & 11 atmospheric game).
    (1)
    Last edited by Amiral_Benson; 01-19-2013 at 04:21 AM.

Character
    Alhanelem Amidatelion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    This system would be even more confusing to ppl that are not in the zone of servers location. Especially if u don't care about ur region and instead pick a server where u made the most friends in 1.0.
    And I don't fancy playing nightime only either
    How would it be more confusing? You're going from 2 time systems to one. it would be less confusing, no matter what time zone you're in.

Xenoblade does it.

But you can change time to whatever you want because of NPC schedules.

Not that wise for an MMO.
    Actually, it's more wise for an MMO than a single player game. But many games have done it successfully with no issues. Even pokemon has real time day/night with different pokemon that can be caught at different times of day. But the definition of each time of day is loose enough that most players can reasonably play it at any time without a major impact.

WoW has real time, and nobody complains about it there. As long as day/night is only minor as a gameplay mechanic and is more about aesthetics changing to a real time system would be harmless to gameplay.

wow seperates na/eu but SE doesn't (remember jp/na/eu will be clustered for dungeon finder thingy) and thats a huge difference.
    While the Duty Finder will supposedly allow cross region play, NA and EU are indeed seperated in terms of the regional server system (not literally seperated, as you can still play on whatever server you want, but you get the point) and again, I don't see how this is really an issue. As long as the server time is consistent and the same amount of server time passes as real time, it doesn't really matter if the server time isn't exactly the same as yours.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-19-2013 at 04:30 AM.

Player
    Character
    Reika Shadowheart
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    It sounds like a good plan, but it's just going to limit SE's ability to have different events or monsters based on the time in eorzia and peoples ability to be on during those events or see and defeat or be defeated by those time of day based monsters.
    (2)

Character
    Alhanelem Amidatelion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Reika View Post
    It sounds like a good plan, but it's just going to limit SE's ability to have different events or monsters based on the time in eorzia and peoples ability to be on during those events or see and defeat or be defeated by those time of day based monsters.
    This is very true, but is ithat really a necessary feature to begin with? I'd rather not have lots of events that require you to wait for a certain time of day. I primarily like day/night for the beauty aspect more than for the game-play aspect. But I do understand your sentiment. I guess this isn't as popular of an idea as I thought it would be.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Klefth Reinhart
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Another one of those "I wish they would add (or remove) this to the game because WoW"...

No, absolutely not. Most people would only see the game during either day or night throughout most of their play time, and that would probably get really dull after a while.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Kiote Corissimo
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Personally i think real time is undoable just because some players would be forced to always play at "Night" or "Day".

The way I see it, Game time should be more close to Real time but not quite the same. 3 or 6 hours equaling 24 in game hours. This would allow developers to create more time of day based content without forcing players to be stuck with one time of day.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Mayoi Hachikuji
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiote View Post
    Personally i think real time is undoable just because some players would be forced to always play at "Night" or "Day".

The way I see it, Game time should be more close to Real time but not quite the same. 3 or 6 hours equaling 24 in game hours. This would allow developers to create more time of day based content without forcing players to be stuck with one time of day.
    Then we can stay with eozea time. Doesn't really matters if 24h ingame are equal to 1, 2 or 3 hours you still need 2 different type of time.
    (1)

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast