Player
    Character
    Y'ahte Tia
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelle View Post
    Actually, it does. If you switch to real life time and decide to still implement events around specific times of day, you're shooting yourself in the foot because you're alienating part of your playerbase. So the next logical step would be to just forego setting things by time of day and instead use some other means with which to control events.

Considering in-game time is inherently inconvenient, using RL time is a pretty huge gain in convenience to the player.
    "Two Eorzea days" and "Two minutes" are the same thing, "Only shows up at night" and "Only shows between :30 and :59" are the same thing.
    Developers won't be hindered by a real-time day/night cycle if they want to implement a game mechanic that is limited by time, really. All it'll do in the end is prevent a particular subset of people from experience the shift from day to night, how much this affects the game is yet to be seen but that is all there would be to it.
    (3)

Player
    Actually, it does. If you switch to real life time and decide to still implement events around specific times of day, you're shooting yourself in the foot
    Again, what is to stop them from just making some monsters spawn every hour and then not spawn the next?

Nothing, gametime has nothing to do with such "Inconvient" methods. It's just something to base the idea of something like the undead coming out at night. Not alot of people like looking at Skeletons in a sunny field of flowers.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Amanda Huggenkiss
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    ~sigh~
    (8)
    I like frog

Player
    Character
    Linkci Lunarpaw
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Ummm... I'd like to be able to see the sun rise and fall. I'm fine with the accelerated time. Having a separate game time makes the world feel more real.

However if your refering to the server time, not the world time. Then yes, that would be nice. Or have a built in way for the game to detect the region and display the server time accordingly, so that you can schedule events!

If they just allow you to check and tell the difference between game time and server time there wouldn't be any problems. Except for understanding the difference!
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Mayoi Hachikuji
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
    Again, what is to stop them from just making some monsters spawn every hour and then not spawn the next?

Nothing, gametime has nothing to do with such "Inconvient" methods. It's just something to base the idea of something like the undead coming out at night. Not alot of people like looking at Skeletons in a sunny field of flowers.
    But why change at all, if you keep day/night cycles and event/spawn conditions. Sry but the reason ppl are not able to make a difference between game/RL time is quite lame.

The only problem was always ppl had to convert the times from JST into their own and that is just lazyness or lack of maths.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Inura Bera
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    I really like having the time pass at a different pace. I enjoy going into a cave when the sun is up in the sky, then coming out only to find it has turned to night time and the rain is pouring down. While I don't mind a real-time clock system, I spend basically every day of my World of Warcraft life in the 'night'. I'd almost forgotten what the sun looked like!

It also means that the times of day can have greater extremes, as you wont be sitting in it for many hours. Nights can be darker, days brighter! All that good stuff, plus it always gives me a feeling of 'scale'. I never think of my character in a game being as 1:1 scale with reality, so if it takes me five minutes to walk somewhere (real time), that may have been a five hour journey for my character, that kind of thing.

Same in Pokemon, I never saw any morning or afternoon creatures, as by the time I got round to playing it (minus forcing myself to do so) was when it was dark in game. Currently playing Final Fantasy XI while I wait for ARR and have reached Qufim Island for the first time - that the ghosts and skeletons come out and night lends an extra feeling that the world exists and has rules to it.

Also, I believe we can tell from screenshots and stuff that the time of day appears to be shown by the location that round icon on the minimap (with the sun it it, locked at 11 for now), while you have your local time at the top right. It is possible that they may add an ability to switch the local time to server time if you want to double check it.

Always reminds me of a quest in Oblivion, where you find a guys journal, supposedly three days walk from one of the towns, yet it took me all of about forty seconds once leaving the town gates to find it, hehe.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Linkci Lunarpaw
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by InuraBera View Post
    Always reminds me of a quest in Oblivion, where you find a guys journal, supposedly three days walk from one of the towns, yet it took me all of about forty seconds once leaving the town gates to find it, hehe.
    Sorry couldn't resist, "Well he obviously didn't make it there did he?" lol
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Duelle Urelle
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Skies View Post
    "Two Eorzea days" and "Two minutes" are the same thing, "Only shows up at night" and "Only shows between :30 and :59" are the same thing.
    No they aren't. If you switch XIV's time to RL time and still make an event that happens at 11:00 AM EST, you're screwing over everyone that has a 9-5 job because they'll never see said event without calling out from work. It'd be beyond stupid for the devs to do something like that. There is such a thing as reasonable limitations, and RL time has inherent limitations developers will want to stick do if they don't want to piss off a lot of people.
    All it'll do in the end is prevent a particular subset of people from experience the shift from day to night, how much this affects the game is yet to be seen but that is all there would be to it.
    The argument is weak by nature. I might start putting it in the same category for jump hate, under the "this is more asinine than the Ji Firepaw incident" tag.

As I said, if you just want to see the day and night cycle and have it not affect other parts of the game, I'm willing to cut you some slack.
    (0)
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line like good little casters.
    * Design ideas:
    Red Mage - COMPLETE (https://tinyurl.com/y6tsbnjh), Chemist - Second Pass (https://tinyurl.com/ssuog88), Thief - First Pass (https://tinyurl.com/vdjpkoa), Rune Fencer - First Pass (https://tinyurl.com/y3fomdp2)

Player
    Character
    Y'ahte Tia
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    As I said, if you just want to see the day and night cycle and have it not affect other parts of the game, I'm willing to cut you some slack.
    My argument is that it does not adds or removes any ability of the developers to do some sort of event, everything it causes is changing how the day/night cycle works and how it affects very particular subsets of people. Yes, this is in the same category as the jump and grass discussions, it should never have even happened in the first place, it's up to the devs to decide how much impact the day/night cycle will have and how to best present it to the players to achieve the impact they want.
    (1)

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16