Thread: NIGHT TIME!!

Player
    Character
    Klefth Reinhart
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    What I really want to see now are night shots out in the field, without lamps or anything like that around. Guess I'll have to wait for the beta at this point.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Fate Raines
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    i wound like to see undead come out at night
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Zehira Korrigan
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukkirii View Post
    Also for those of you asking about weather in the Beta Test, we can say that there will be clear and cloudy weather implemented. We'll let you know when we have more to share!
    Hopefully, we will have a real weather like snow during the winter.

I miss Shenmue.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Kio Solais
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Culinarian Lv 90
    1.0 had too many stars in the night sky, it looked like someone spilled a tub of glitter. It made the stars not really feel special. I kind hope that 2.0 has a more realistic night sky. I'd love to have distinct constellations maybe tying into lore. I think when it comes to the cosmos less is more.

The smallish pictures of the night time shots look really lovely. I'm impressed how it actually looks like a night, and not just day with a navy blue tint applied to everything. I'd love to see weather screen shots too! Particularly snowfall if there exists any.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Azran Hayat
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Captaindownsyndrome View Post
    i wound like to see undead come out at night
    yeah dude, it was kind of annoying to have to move camps at night in FFXI but personally I feel like it made the world feel more alive
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Llen Coram
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Kio View Post
    1.0 had too many stars in the night sky, it looked like someone spilled a tub of glitter. It made the stars not really feel special. I kind hope that 2.0 has a more realistic night sky. I'd love to have distinct constellations maybe tying into lore. I think when it comes to the cosmos less is more.

The smallish pictures of the night time shots look really lovely. I'm impressed how it actually looks like a night, and not just day with a navy blue tint applied to everything. I'd love to see weather screen shots too! Particularly snowfall if there exists any.
    In a world with little to no light pollution though, it's fairly accurate. Ever looked at the sky when it's truly, completely pitch black out?

It's magnificient.
    (9)

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by LlenCoram View Post
    In a world with little to no light pollution though, it's fairly accurate. Ever looked at the sky when it's truly, completely pitch black out?

It's magnificient.
    Yeah (agree Llen), @Kio thats actually not - enough - stars.

Although it never got dark imo, the night sky is black, not blue(1.0). And the stars in 1.0 were visibly pixel-ated. The milkway was the worst colprit of being of very low res - it looked good at quick glance or if blurred but if you just stared at it.. meh.. lol
    (3)
    Last edited by Shougun; 01-26-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Player
    Character
    Zehira Korrigan
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Shougun View Post
    Yeah (agree Llen), @Kio thats actually not - enough - stars.

Although it never got dark imo, the night sky is black, not blue(1.0). And the stars in 1.0 were visibly pixel-ated. The milkway was the worst colprit of being of very low res - it looked good at quick glance or if blurred but if you just stared at it.. meh.. lol
    It would be cool if ARR can do like this...

But NOT this...

(5)

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by LlenCoram View Post

It's magnificient.
    This.

I highly recommend taking a trip out to the countryside at some point on a clear night, pulling over, turning off the car lights and then looking upwards after your eyes have time to adjust. You will probably have your mind blown.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrien View Post
    you guys might be right, maybe the tress are in the way, or maybe its just that particular region. I'm satisfied with what I'm seeing, but I really hope we can get a night sky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shougun View Post
    I already complained a little so I didnt want to provoke the knights.. But now that you brought it up - Gridania's sky looks like it has /a little/ light pollution. I see more in the city then they are seeing there lol.

I think they design a 'slightly' light polluted night because they think their players have never seen the real night sky :P

Just to give FFXIV a fair shake:
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsume View Post
    Actually, I'd give the points to the non-doctored FFXIV screencap for highest accuracy.

The real life photo has way more stars than you'd ever see in RL, even from a dark location. More technically, even if you could see that many, the difference in brightness would be drastically different since the eye responds to light more logarithmically than most cameras (and to me it doesn't look like they've applied a logarithmic stretch to the image data to mimic that), and thus individual constellations should still noticeably pop out from the rest of the starfield. I can barely discern constellations in this photo, and that's just because I know where to look (the teapot of Sagittarius, for example just to the left of the largest part of the dark dusty lanes low to the horizon. It's way more conspicuous to the naked eye). For the record, on Earth there is about 3,000 5,000 stars brighter than the limit of the human eye's capability, so that's the most one should expect to be able to count across the entire sky, and only half that at a given point in time since the other half is below the horizon.

The FFXIV screencap also has a crescent moon in it... even from a dark location, the moon being in the sky has a dramatic effect on what you're able to see. During full moon, you can't really count on seeing much of anything besides the brightest constellations and planets. If anything, there should be fewer stars visible even in this one, especially in the vicinity of the moon. Astronomers call the time around full moon "bright time" because the glare is so bad it even prevents certain types of full-on research observing.

Now, pixellation, yeah that's something that could be smoothed up for the game's stars, but overall I'm satisfied with their general brightness and visibility from 1.0.

Source: 4-years spent in observational astrophysics grad school with many weeks spent on remote mountain top telescopes...
    (3)
    Last edited by Myranda; 01-26-2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: fixed misquoted figure for number of stars the eye can see
    Check out my Eorzean fonts! - Twitter: @MyrandaFFXIV
    http://dachoutom.no-ip.org/ffxiv/fonts.html
    The Astronomical Society of Eorzea!
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/142965-The-Astronomical-Society-of-Eorzea

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast