Player
    Character
    Ragento Guarra
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50

PVP gear

Ive played a few diffrent MMOs and have always loved PVP in them, when i found out about the addition of PVP to FFXIV i was ecstatic to say the least.

I remember Yoshi P saying that PVP in FFXIV wont interfere or effect with the main pve aspect of ffxiv. (If i was a better tread starter i would look up this quote lol /lazy) I really like this idea, not in the matter of speaking of PVP not effecting PVE but at the possibility that PVE might not effect PVP.

I think PVP and PVE gear should be mutually exclusive(ie cant use PVE gear in PVP, and PVP gears stats are only active in a PVP zone or what not so people couldnt use PVP gear in PVE.) I think PVP gear should have a stat on them that says PVP ONLY or something or maybe next to the Rare/EX have a PVP icon or somthing to that effect.

I think this will help a ton with keeping things balanced in PVP and give an added bonus to people who want to PVP. Ive experianced in other MMO's PVP that strong elite PVE players whould get a uber rare weopon from EG PVE content and do so much dmg that they make things a bit unbalanced, this is my solution to that.

edit: I would like to discuss this idea as well as other about how pvp gear could be handled, and any ideas people may have about acquiring pvp gear(maybe introductory gear bought from a vendor npc, or crafted by a fellow player, so DoH get involved too, etc...)

edit2: on the idea of crafting pvp gear, maybe have certain ingredients for higher end pvp gear be only obtainable from points earned in pvp.

or could do like most other MMOs and just have the lower tier stuff craftable for new people to start pvp and have the higher tier gear be bought with points earned through pvp matches. thoughts?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

After some discussion and ideas on the thread i thought i would post here my complete ideal way of handeling PVP in ARR at the moment.(probably will have flaws lol)

- PVP gear should have reduced stats when used outside of PVP events(reduced enough to make them mostly for looks outside of PVP)

- PVE gear CAN be used in PVP but has reduced stats to make PVP gear the optimal choice in PVP events.-note: maybe have less of a penalty on low level PVE gear used in PVP.

- PVP should have a Ranking system that is Job/Class Specific(ie when you change from paladin to Warrior you have a different rank) rank can be reset after reaching a certain lvl range(ie lv 10-19 you got rank 20, but when you hit lvl 20 your rank goes back to rank 1, etc, all the way up to lv 50) Rank will determine who you fight against so that the less experienced/new people to pvp dont have to fight super experienced people right off the bat and be discouraged from PVP.
    Edit- you would be able to rank up aswell as de-rank. if you take a break from the game and come back and you suck it up do to being rusty.

- Have there be a Intro quest line you have to do before you can PVP that is a tutorial to PVP and awards an intro lvl PVP gear set.(havnt thought of how to handle the diffrent level ranges with this idea, i had lvl 50 in mind when thinking of this, maybe have where you could trade in your intro set from lvl 10 for your current level(ie your lv 40 and you have lv 10 intro set, you trade to npc to get lv 40 intro set))

- After you complete the Intro PVP quest line you also unlock a PVP gear swap space(they show this feature in Alpha vid, where you have multiple gear sets that arnt tored in your bags) that stores your PVP gear for you(can only store PVP gear), and each Class/Job you do the quest on you unlock it for that class.

- Have Skills act diffrently in PVP(ie effects last longer/shorter, does more/less dmg etc) than what they do in PVE, so that way the dev team doesnt have to try to balance the jobs in both PVP and PVE at the same time they can be seperate. maybe even have PVP/PVE only skills.(like not being able to use 15min CD in PVP.)

- Have each class/job have different looking PVP gear sets so in the middle of battle you can quickly distinguish what class/job a opponent is so its easier decide how you want to go about attacking him/her.

- Also PVP points earned can only be spent on the class/job earned on(ie cant use your warrior to get a ton of points and then spend those points to buy your Bard PVP gear)

- PVP gear has a Minimum Rank required to equip(this based off of highest rank attained, incase you derank)

Following idea is very rough and needs more thought but i thought i would share.
    - Maybe have PVP gear crafted, where you have to get one of the materials needed to craft it from PVP, maybe to encurage people to level DoL, you have it where DoL with a PVP rank have an increased chance the higher rank they are at attaining said material from a node. material would be tradable, and the rank requirement on the gear would rememdy this so that new players couldnt start with best gear.

I feel like im forgetting something, if i remember i will edit and post lol
    (3)
    Last edited by Ragento; 01-17-2013 at 08:10 AM.

Player
    Character
    Alchinua Malaguld
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 61
    Hmm, I'm not sure whether I like your idea or not... I guess I would feel restricted if I can't wear my gear that I got from Ifrit/etc since I put really hard work in it (or I'm lucky :P). I guess a good way to escape the "unfair" gear would be different level caps. 5/10/15/.../45/50. That way the players who are level 50 can use their best gear while level 45 would need lower gear etc.
    (1)
    Last edited by Seraphe; 01-17-2013 at 05:15 AM.
    Kweh!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayohne View Post
    Pa-paya~ paya papaya~ pa-pa-ya~♪

Player
    Character
    Austen Bloodspatter
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 80
    so you must start out by buying pvp gear before you can even pvp? doesn't sound so fun
    and u usually buy pvp items with pvp points, so you would maybe need to start by buying low lv gear for free, just cause you dont have enough pvp points to buy anything in your lv range...it's just odd. Don't see why it needs to be exclusive.
    And people could get uber powerful pvp weapons and do high damage anyways, so i don't see any issue with pve ppl coming with good gear. Anyone who does lots of pvp should know gear doesn't mean everything; a sucky player in superior gear will loose a good player with inferior gear.
    Only pvp stat that would be of any significance would be +pvp damage/def...doesn't feel like it warrents being pvp exclusive gear. If it has other stats it's still usefull in pve, otherwise it's just the same as str/vit/def anyways.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ragento Guarra
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphe View Post
    Hmm, I'm not sure whether I like your idea or not... I guess I would feel restricted if I can't wear my gear that I got from Ifrit for example since I put really hard work in it (or I'm lucky :P). I guess a good way to escape the "unfair" gear would be different level caps. 5/10/15/.../45/50. That way the players who are level 50 can use their best gear while level 45 would need lower gear etc.
    I know what you mean, i also like being able to use my awsome new (whatever piece from PVE) but i ran into it alot where people with the best PVP gear would be out done by someone with who never PVPs that has uber PVE gear and no skill.

My thought on this idea was mostly to make FFXIV PVP more depended on the skill of the player, and balanced. That's hard to do when you add in so many variables that using PVE gear brings.

Could i get you to explain your Level Cap idea in a little more detail? i wasnt quite following what you were saying sorry lol
    (0)

Character
    Rex Xylon
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    I don't think they'd only let you use PVP gear in the arena and PVE gear outside the arena...

The closest thing I can think of to your idea is to allow all gear to be used, but have slightly different stats in PVP than in PVE.

Otherwise..Which is probably going to happen...all gear will work everywhere. Including the exclusive PVP being used in PVE.
    (1)

Character
    Rex Xylon
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Radacci View Post
    so you must start out by buying pvp gear before you can even pvp? doesn't sound so fun
    and u usually buy pvp items with pvp points, so you would maybe need to start by buying low lv gear for free, just cause you dont have enough pvp points to buy anything in your lv range...it's just odd. Don't see why it needs to be exclusive.
    And people could get uber powerful pvp weapons and do high damage anyways, so i don't see any issue with pve ppl coming with good gear. Anyone who does lots of pvp should know gear doesn't mean everything; a sucky player in superior gear will loose a good player with inferior gear.
    Only pvp stat that would be of any significance would be +pvp damage/def...doesn't feel like it warrents being pvp exclusive gear. If it has other stats it's still usefull in pve, otherwise it's just the same as str/vit/def anyways.
    Buy low level PVP gear for free...?

I think the best way to approach this idea would be to have a starting tutorial that gives you basic gear and some PVP points.. Like most things nowadays.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Cedri Vastal
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    I could see TEMPORARY gear given like gladiator style "choose your weapon" for tests of skill instead of who has the bigger e-peen, but to go as far as taking up inventory space? I say no.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Alchinua Malaguld
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 61
    Sorry If I didn't make myself clear

Let's say you go to the PVP Arena with me. I can see that you have the latest gear and I just hit level 50. My gear is absolute bull**** compared to yours. We agree to set the level cap to Level 45 so that we both use gear which isn't completely overpowered (Since most endgame gear is level 46+ that would exclude many overpowered items).

Six weeks later we decide to battle again, this time we both have the best equipment possible. We decide to do a level 50 brawl with all our skills and the best equip. We do that.

In the 45 scenario we would miss a few skills but I guess I'd like that more than not to use my equip at all

I hope I nailed it this time ^^; Sorry again.
    (0)
    Kweh!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayohne View Post
    Pa-paya~ paya papaya~ pa-pa-ya~♪

Player
    Character
    Ragento Guarra
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    lol i didnt say my idea was flawless, was hoping people would take the ideas and run with it,

maybe you can get your first set of pvp gear through a quest line that introduces you to PVP and teaches the player the basics in the process. that way you dont have to pay anything.

I get what your saying, but imo some one with zero pvp experiance shouldnt be able to walk straight in with elite PVE gear and dominate there should be a progression to it.

maybe an idea where they have different tiers of PVP to separate the lower geared players from the higher geared players by giving an incentive to higher gear players to get better rewards in the higher tiers. also have pvp points be exclusive to each job/class so one person cant farm points on there awsome warrior to get points for there whitemage gear.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ragento Guarra
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I don't think they'd only let you use PVP gear in the arena and PVE gear outside the arena...

The closest thing I can think of to your idea is to allow all gear to be used, but have slightly different stats in PVP than in PVE.

Otherwise..Which is probably going to happen...all gear will work everywhere. Including the exclusive PVP being used in PVE.
    yeah thats what i tried to get at in my rambling lol that you can wear your pvp gear any where but has very poor to no stats outside of pvp,

and maybe thats a decent idea to allow pve gear in pvp but have the stats reduced or punished for not being pvp gear or something?
    (0)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast