Ive played a few diffrent MMOs and have always loved PVP in them, when i found out about the addition of PVP to FFXIV i was ecstatic to say the least.
I remember Yoshi P saying that PVP in FFXIV wont interfere or effect with the main pve aspect of ffxiv. (If i was a better tread starter i would look up this quote lol /lazy) I really like this idea, not in the matter of speaking of PVP not effecting PVE but at the possibility that PVE might not effect PVP.
I think PVP and PVE gear should be mutually exclusive(ie cant use PVE gear in PVP, and PVP gears stats are only active in a PVP zone or what not so people couldnt use PVP gear in PVE.) I think PVP gear should have a stat on them that says PVP ONLY or something or maybe next to the Rare/EX have a PVP icon or somthing to that effect.
I think this will help a ton with keeping things balanced in PVP and give an added bonus to people who want to PVP. Ive experianced in other MMO's PVP that strong elite PVE players whould get a uber rare weopon from EG PVE content and do so much dmg that they make things a bit unbalanced, this is my solution to that.
edit: I would like to discuss this idea as well as other about how pvp gear could be handled, and any ideas people may have about acquiring pvp gear(maybe introductory gear bought from a vendor npc, or crafted by a fellow player, so DoH get involved too, etc...)
edit2: on the idea of crafting pvp gear, maybe have certain ingredients for higher end pvp gear be only obtainable from points earned in pvp.
or could do like most other MMOs and just have the lower tier stuff craftable for new people to start pvp and have the higher tier gear be bought with points earned through pvp matches. thoughts?
After some discussion and ideas on the thread i thought i would post here my complete ideal way of handeling PVP in ARR at the moment.(probably will have flaws lol)
- PVP gear should have reduced stats when used outside of PVP events(reduced enough to make them mostly for looks outside of PVP)
- PVE gear CAN be used in PVP but has reduced stats to make PVP gear the optimal choice in PVP events.-note: maybe have less of a penalty on low level PVE gear used in PVP.
- PVP should have a Ranking system that is Job/Class Specific(ie when you change from paladin to Warrior you have a different rank) rank can be reset after reaching a certain lvl range(ie lv 10-19 you got rank 20, but when you hit lvl 20 your rank goes back to rank 1, etc, all the way up to lv 50) Rank will determine who you fight against so that the less experienced/new people to pvp dont have to fight super experienced people right off the bat and be discouraged from PVP.
Edit- you would be able to rank up aswell as de-rank. if you take a break from the game and come back and you suck it up do to being rusty.
- Have there be a Intro quest line you have to do before you can PVP that is a tutorial to PVP and awards an intro lvl PVP gear set.(havnt thought of how to handle the diffrent level ranges with this idea, i had lvl 50 in mind when thinking of this, maybe have where you could trade in your intro set from lvl 10 for your current level(ie your lv 40 and you have lv 10 intro set, you trade to npc to get lv 40 intro set))
- After you complete the Intro PVP quest line you also unlock a PVP gear swap space(they show this feature in Alpha vid, where you have multiple gear sets that arnt tored in your bags) that stores your PVP gear for you(can only store PVP gear), and each Class/Job you do the quest on you unlock it for that class.
- Have Skills act diffrently in PVP(ie effects last longer/shorter, does more/less dmg etc) than what they do in PVE, so that way the dev team doesnt have to try to balance the jobs in both PVP and PVE at the same time they can be seperate. maybe even have PVP/PVE only skills.(like not being able to use 15min CD in PVP.)
- Have each class/job have different looking PVP gear sets so in the middle of battle you can quickly distinguish what class/job a opponent is so its easier decide how you want to go about attacking him/her.
- Also PVP points earned can only be spent on the class/job earned on(ie cant use your warrior to get a ton of points and then spend those points to buy your Bard PVP gear)
- PVP gear has a Minimum Rank required to equip(this based off of highest rank attained, incase you derank)
Following idea is very rough and needs more thought but i thought i would share.
- Maybe have PVP gear crafted, where you have to get one of the materials needed to craft it from PVP, maybe to encurage people to level DoL, you have it where DoL with a PVP rank have an increased chance the higher rank they are at attaining said material from a node. material would be tradable, and the rank requirement on the gear would rememdy this so that new players couldnt start with best gear.
I feel like im forgetting something, if i remember i will edit and post lol