Character
    Rau Berlioz
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90

Animation Lock: Why don't you like it?

topic.

I prefer Animation Lock for aesthetics in most cases, but I recall it being a problem for many in general.

I am curious to hear why it is seen as inferior to global cool downs, in terms of immersion/battle/etc.
    (9)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eemeefu View Post
    This thread is not a beautiful or unique snowflake.

Player
    Character
    Alegis Leqarna
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    Ifrit and his cracks for example.
    If ur stuck in animation-lock, you dont get out of the cracks before they erupt. Thats one of the problems we had with it.
    (48)

Player
    Character
    Doctor Beatbox
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 90
    Global cooldowns and animation lock aren't the same thing at all...
    (46)

Player
    Character
    Kai Khada
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    The distaste for animation lock has less to do with the restriction on how fast you could use abilities and more to do with the restriction on movement in content that required you be able to gtfo at a moments notice.

I personally prefer it over the gcd and sliding around while you do skills route though.
    (16)

Player
    Character
    Rau Berlioz
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Alegis View Post
    Ifrit and his cracks for example.
    If ur stuck in animation-lock, you dont get out of the cracks before they erupt. Thats one of the problems we had with it.

Doesn't that undermine the challenge of the fight?

As far as I understand that fight was plagued by tremendous amounts of lag, but as far as timing your attacks to properly avoid cracks, I think that mechanic was working as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by KiriA500 View Post
    Global cooldowns and animation lock aren't the same thing at all...
    both of them are methods to prevent spamming skills in short periods of time. we are getting one in place of the other.
    (12)
    Last edited by Rau; 01-12-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eemeefu View Post
    This thread is not a beautiful or unique snowflake.

Player
    Character
    Zehira Korrigan
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Because it was annoyed. Ifrit's battle for example, when I was a WHM, someone blamed me that I didn't move away from cracks cause of animation lock. It's what it made them thought I suck. =/
    (10)

Player
    Character
    Austen Bloodspatter
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 80
    You don't need to *slide* around. In another game they animated upper/lower body separately. so you could run around, and upper body would rotate, and attack; lower body would run. If you stand still and attack it's the normal animation.

I don't want animation-lock, cause it's just annoying being rooted for the duration of an attack; Maybe for some skills it would be ok, but in general no.
    I think the GCD is ok. I think it will be somewhat of an non-issue at higher lv.
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Rosetta Rouge
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 70
    Animation lock was bad mostly for fights like Ifrit where you had to "dodge" attacks. Mages finishing a spell cast as the wrong time will kill them. This also applies you using WS at the wrong time. IMO Global cool down are not a fix nor is it inferior to Animation Lock. Global Cool downs are more like Spam prevention then anything else. They are 2 different solutions to 2 different problems.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Indira Cliodhna
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    ifrit is more of the server sucking theres times your already hit but its happens a few second later.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Adahna Serafi
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 80
    The general distaste of animation lock comes from how terribly it was done in 1.x in my opinion. It was a good system but it was done in a very flawed way. The animations lasted too long and the lag was too much to account for. What they needed to do was fix it, not remove it and they have everything they need to fix it and I'll tell you why in four major points.

*lt;dr version in bold*

I'll go ahead and knock this one out first because people have a tendency to over look it or brush it aside as a non-issue. Immersion is very important to a lot of people. If you want the game to succeed truly as a Final Fantasy, people need to be immersed and by having a characters break the laws of physics and throw anatomy out the window, I'm sorry but you've lost any character believability and a lot of immersion. Some will argue that it's a fantasy game but even in fantasy you need to be able to believe the character. In a world where magic exists, I can believe magic can happen but if you say that my characters spine can move like it's made of rubber then I'm going to lose that believability.

It restricts the creation of visually pleasing animations. Instead of asking "Will this look good?" they will ask first "Can we make it work while running?" and because of that you lose a great aesthetic to the game. In this day and age, or heck for a long time now it's not been all about gameplay. It's also about aesthetics and good aesthetics lead to a visually pleasing game which will attract more people. I am NOT saying that they are mutually exclusive but they can co-exist and they need to find a better balance and this is part of that balance.

No animation lock is down right irritating! If you leave the maximum effect range of a skill before it 100% completes, your skill cancels. Even if your character performed the actual hit, it cancels. How is that better than being stuck for 1-3 seconds? If you've ever been a Whm healing DPS who move around a lot, you can sympathize with this irritation and I am willing to bet you will agree that you don't want this infiltrating other areas of combat.

Let's face it, it was a tactical gameplay mechanic that made you think before you acted and made most boss fights actually engaging and done right that is a positive to the game. No animation lock removes that gameplay mechanic and that makes the game much more of a mindless spam fest. Instead of thinking before you act, you just simply act. A lot of the negative buzz around Alpha was that it was mindless and boring, why do you want it to be more boring?

I'd love to know if anyone has any counter points or anything to add to these points, this has always been one of my biggest worries about ARR that I feel they aren't handling properly.
    (20)

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast